86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How To Convert From EFI To Carb?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To Convert From EFI To Carb?

I have seen a thread on here about this and was wanting to this myself. I know Fuel Injection is better and more efficient, but I am old fashioned and love carbs! I have an 87 4wd truck with the 22re EFI and I want to switch over to a carb. Aside from the new intake and carb, what else would have to be done? Would I Have to change the ignition system? What is different on the emissions? How will the ECU react to it? What about wiring harnesses, will it be a totally different one or will I just have to re-route some wires? I am planning on rebuilding an engine for the old girl anyway and when I do, I would like to convert her back to the stone age. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Lang
Old 03-28-2010, 08:55 AM

Seems like a lot of trouble for no gains, my friend.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:30 AM

I guess that depends on how much work I Have to do. I fiqured I will be pulling the engine out and replacing the ignition system at the same time. But iam not sure how the ECU will handle it? If I have to replace the ECU, wiring Harness, alot of Emission stuff or to much more I will not do it. But, if I only have to switch the ignition or maybe just a little more I will swap it. I just like carbs better, they have more character to me. I am not wanting to swap for better or different performance, just cause I like carbs. Having said all that, if I have to spend an extra $1000 or more, then it will remain EFI.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:07 AM

I can't see why u would retain the ECU with a carb. If you're going carb, go all out old school, 22R style and I would also remove all emissions components.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:43 AM

Take another hit from the crack pipe and I'm sure the answer will come to you!
Old 03-28-2010, 11:06 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Quick question:
Are in you in the eastern washington area with an Extra cab toyota with sun-roof?
Because today is your lucky day. I'll trade you, my truck is carbed, and i need the extra space inside the cab.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
first step. sell me all of your efi components. then find carb stuff and install.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:14 AM

carb?? . STAY AWAY
Old 03-28-2010, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by SoCalsking
carb?? . STAY AWAY
I rock the carb, buddy, and it works quite well.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
How about you learn to work on EFI.. with less time and effort invested you could know the workings of that system inside and out vs. replacing everything to throw on a carb for less power..
Old 03-28-2010, 02:42 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCalsking
carb?? . STAY AWAY

you're outta your mind... Nothing wrong with AISIN carbs...

Notice I said AISIN and not Holley or Webber... Any fool can mess up his truck with that junk. No common sense required.

If you have a carb truck, you need to look into the cheapest best mod of all... The 20/22R Hybrid... I'm tired of typing this so I'll say search instead. Yotatech is not the only one either... You may not know about it but there's this internet search engine called Google and it works wonders as well..

2nd, IF you MUST have EFI. I'd look into old Celica EFI's. They have half as many parts as full-on 22RE EFI's, they should be cheap and easy to install.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:45 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Originally Posted by LangyLang
I have seen a thread on here about this and was wanting to this myself. I know Fuel Injection is better and more efficient, but I am old fashioned and love carbs! I have an 87 4wd truck with the 22re EFI and I want to switch over to a carb.

Lang

forget that idea... That's one of the best EFI systems ever put into a truck right there. It takes a paper clip to read the codes and you can pull the batt cable for 30 seconds and clear all the codes... something you cannot do with later, OBD-2 EFI's.

If it's not giving you any problems, why you wanna switch it over again?

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 03-28-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:03 PM

Can I ditch the ECU all together if I switch to a carb? Will it run okay?
Old 03-28-2010, 04:07 PM

Why are you taking the EFI off in the first place?
the EFI works magnificent on these vehicles with little maintenence...
Old 03-28-2010, 04:15 PM

No reason other than I like the thought of a carb. I am not looking to gain power, I know that is not going to happen. When I rebuild the engine, I was thinking of putting a carb back instead of the efi and save the efi parts for another project.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:38 PM

Yeah but you'll lose horsepower, fuel economy, and torque...
Theres really no reason to go this route.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:39 PM

Can I ditch the ECU all together if I switch to a carb? Will it run okay?

Toyota truck + left alone = The best truck.

Toyota truck wired for EFI + messed with to work with something it was never designed to = ok truck. But long term problems can occur.

Best carbed truck is one made to run a carb.

The best EFI truck is one made to run with EFI.

There are lots of wires that can cause lots of problems if you go to cutting and splicing and modifying.

And the computer runs along the lines of the E in the EFI you're talking about axing...

Computers never have anything to do with carburetors... And quite frankly I'm worried you don't know that.

And you want to cut up and modify your wiring harness b/c you like carbs better?
Old 03-28-2010, 04:44 PM

I guess that depends on how much work I Have to do. I fiqured I will be pulling the engine out and replacing the ignition system at the same time.

But iam not sure how the ECU will handle it? If I have to replace the ECU, wiring Harness, alot of Emission stuff or to much more I will not do it.

But, if I only have to switch the ignition or maybe just a little more I will swap it. I just like carbs better, they have more character to me. I am not wanting to swap for better or different performance, just cause I like carbs. Having said all that, if I have to spend an extra $1000 or more, then it will remain EFI.

1: You're just yanking our chain...

And 2: If you're dead set on it, f it... Convert your EFI to Carb. Who are we to tell you what to do with your property?

You're the expert...
Old 03-28-2010, 04:55 PM

Thanks for all the replys, well to the helpful ones anyway. No need for some of you to get your panties all bunched up just because someone wants to do something a little bit different than others.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:59 PM

Well, if you really want to know..
The best way to do the conversion would be to get a wiring harness from a carbed pickup.
That way you don't have any connections for EFI, and it makes the task easy.
You'll also need the gas tank fuel stuff for the carb.

Quick Reply: How To Convert From EFI To Carb?