Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to check for a leak on the intake?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to check for a leak on the intake?

I just rebuild my motor got about 200 miles on it. It seems to run well i put a RV268 Cam and gasket ported the intake leaving the line so as not to take too much. My problem is this between 1k and 2.5k it seems to lag and then starts to kick in. I'm not sure if i might have a manifold leak somewhere or if it is all the new mods. Does anyone know how to check for a leak on the intake?
I also shortened the air intake and adapted a 3" filter. You can see some pics on my page. Any suggestions would be great thanks guys..
Old 09-20-2009, 08:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
With the cam and porting of the intake you have manifold you have changed the specs of the engine. So you need to make sure the valves are adjusted to what the new cam calls for, not the stock cam, then you will need to play with the timming, maybe advance it a few degrees and see if that helps. what about your exhaust, do you have a header ?, that will open things up a little more. The way you did the intake is just fine, alot of people here have there AFM set up like yours. To check for intake leaks get some carb cleaner and spray it around the intake and if the idle goes up then you have a leak.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:18 AM

No header yet. I am still looking for a good one for a good price. that and a full 2 1/4 exhaust are next, but till then need to get this truck dialed in. I hear you usually keep the valve adjustment at stock for the 268 cam.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
This is from Ted...
.007 intake and .009 Exhaust.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:44 AM

Yes that is what is on the box, but that is the min measurement you can go with i think. I think i'm going to go somewhere between that and stock. Is this not a good idea? On the box it came with it says those are the min adjustment so i figure go between the 2.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:54 AM

Well I'd set them to what Ted says...Just me though. I know since I have done mine I need to re adjust them, a little noisy now. I was also told that you should adjust them warm as well, which when I put mine together I really couldn't do nor did I know to.

Also from reading...I'd stick with the stock exhaust manifold and go with larger exhaust pipe. The stock manifold is efficient in itself. I'm running the 268 and 2.25" all the way out and she does quite well. Just something to think about.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:22 PM

Ya Lumpy, i'm going back and forth with the header. Might just keep the manifold and run it 2.25 all the way back. I adjusted mine cold too, so at my 500 mark when i change the oil i'll adjust them. I can't find any specific right ups on EGR block off for the 22re, I know what to block off but dunno how to get it to not throw a code. Oh ya one more question on the PAIR the hose that goes to the air box is it cool to just put a filter like i did? Some guy told me it would put moisture in the motor and cause it to blow. Any truth to that? Thanks
Old 09-21-2009, 03:29 PM

based on your pics, your EGR is already disconnected (but not blocked off yet) and venting exhaust gas into the engine bay... Through a sexy little filter. If it was going to throw a code, it would have already done it.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:39 PM

EGR is still connected. and there is no fumes from that filter it usually is going to the air box. as far as i've heard the exhaust just pulls off that for fresh air.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:55 PM

Anyone know how to disconnect the EGR without throwing a code? And can you tell me the pro's and cons of doing this mod? I'm just working on my truck every night at the moment. Spent all my $$ on the motor so trying to do things that cost nothing but time.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:25 PM

Well most folks just keep the EGR stuff. Many of folk have said that it helps keep the cylinder heads a wee bit cooler and it runs better in the end.

As far as the lil filter your fine with that, not going to hurt anything unless you submerge the whole front end and then it's going to come in the intake anyway.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:31 PM

Really???? So why have most guys doing builds on here pulled it off(EGR)..? I'm just curious, when i did my build i cleaned the whole intake and saw the amount of black crap in there. Where the EGR came in was so bad it took me like 3 hrs to get the tube in the plenium clean. It seems to me like it just clogs up the intake with carbon, but i'm no expert just a guy who does his own work.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:36 PM

I do all mine as well. There have been quite a few threads on this topic. I know...some folks pull them off and yes it does pull some carbon back through the intake and I can't rightly remember all the stuff I have read. Search around a bit and I'll also see what I can find.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:38 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
nice pics...just starting mine see my thread below.

good job .......nice work.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:46 PM

Read some of these...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l-code-178074/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-stuff-151042/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...05/index5.html

I'm not saying it's not going to help but I don't think it will...If you really want give it a shot. Heck I don't clam to know everything, sometimes I just guess and I get it right.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:49 PM

By the way, Nice clean engine bay. I have yet to do the battery swap but it's on my list of things to do. I think it makes things look so much cleaner.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:55 PM

Thanks guys appreciate it coming from yota guys Lumpy, look at my pics on photobucket i showed how to do it. One problem is the stock bar to hold down the battey does not work. The coolant over flow is in the way, another problem is my battery is really big and has little clearance between it and the hood. This could be a problem bumping around in the woods. I might have to buy a lower battery or cut and drop the wheel well a bit. So you said you do remove your EGR lumpy?
Old 09-21-2009, 05:03 PM

I'm getting through your pictures, I'm having a heck of an evening. Trying to fix a computer and I have my brother in law calling with computer issues and all I want to do is watch house and go through the pictures and try and not give you bad info.

I have not removed my EGR... I'm running a 268 cam from engnbldr, no CAT and a 2.25 exhaust. I have a different intake and a cone filter. All the other equipment is stock.

Back to your original question about the leak...Do you think the flex may have a leak in letting metered air in?
Old 09-21-2009, 05:28 PM

I don't think so.... I just bought it and it seems as tight as you can get plastic lol.... I'm looking for someone to bend me up some 3" stainless tubing.. My plan is to fab up an air tight box with that or similar filter then drill through side of inner wheel well to a snorkle but that's ideal..
Old 09-21-2009, 05:39 PM

I have seen some 3" rubber like elbows at advanced auto (I think). then you can use the 3" tubing to get out the side. I think that's what I"m going to do.

This is what I have for now.

I no longer have the blue hose there. I'm using a cone filter just as you.

You may also have a dead spot in the AFM or the TPS...Have you tried cleaning the AFM, I know you have cleaned the TB. I'm starting to run out of ideas...

You say between 1k and 2.5k does it matter what gear your in or the amount of throttle?

Quick Reply: How to check for a leak on the intake?