86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help ?s for 7mgte swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help ?s for 7mgte swap

Hello my name is Norman from San Diego Ca and Ive been doing research on the 7m swap into my truck. I need all the help that I can get. I am attempting to get as much info as I can for I will be doing most of the work myself to save money. Let me start off with that I am not an auto mechanic and I don't know everything a certified tech would know about cars but I do love cars and I know a good amount. Iv'e been an M1A1 Abrams Battle Tank Mechanic in the Marine Corps for over 4 yrs now so I do know a good amount of mechanics and tailored to the understanding of things. I have an 89 MK3 Supra T and my original plan was to swap a 2JZ single mated with a R154 in the Supra. That project is now on hold because my 3VZ is done at 245,XXX miles as well as my R150f needing a solid rebuild. Instead of spending money to rebuild my 3VZ I want to use the motor in my Supra donor car. While taking apart my Supra I found that the turbo was leaking bad and various hoses were shot. I'm thinking of getting all the prep done (block lapping/head resurface) for a metal head gasket along with a wahlbro fuel pump, slightly bigger injectors and the Lexus Air Flow Meter along with hard pipes etc. I want my truck to be Reliable for a dd and a bit stronger than stock but not too strong that it conflicts with reliability. I dont want to get a new turbo, just rebuilt with a larger wheel. My questions for you if you can answer them for me please are:

1. I want to keep my 4x4 5spd intact. I know the bellhousing from the guy who owns supercharged is needed for this or custom fab but I wonder how a rebuilt tranny would hold to the above said power in low and high ranges of rpm and torque. Is there anyone like Marlin who can rebuild the R150f for that type of setup?
2. Will my stock 3VZ radiator work(brand spankin new) or will I have to use a 7M radiator? (If not I have a Koyo with flex a lites planned for the Supra already or the stock 7M)
3.How does the ecu link with the R150f? Do they have the same speedo clips, electrical connections etc?
4.I want to keep the IFS because I do more desert driving here in So Cal than trails. How does that work with the sump on the oil pan?
5.Gearing in the differential. I currently have 4.88 will that be suitable?
6.I want to get this ref'd to be smog legal. Is that possible with all the slight mods mentioned above?
7.Iv'e seen the write-ups for the wiring and am up to doing it...what are the key things to look beware of?

I'm probably missing more things involved for the swap such as welding issues so if you can please point me in the right direction I would be highly appreciative. Thanks and God bless.
Norman
Old 11-21-2006, 10:49 AM

There is a thread on Pirate4x4 about a guy doing the same swap. He's Actually using the R154 out of the donor supra, but he's swapping in the stock R150 tailshaft.

As for the oil pan, you might be forced to SAS. If it's not feasable right now, you could probably go with a body lift and a dirvetrain lift(look on 4crawlers website)

Pirate Thread: Turbo Mogrunner

4wheeler.ca Thread 7MGE in a 4Runner (not a -TE but still has good info)

Last edited by Bill; 11-21-2006 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:19 PM

thanks Bill appreciate it. That thread has given me lots of info and I'm looking forward to executing. Ill post any new info I have come up with.