86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help please!!

i was on the way home from a basketball game and i was going up a hill and all off the sudden i look down at my rpms and they were close to the redline and no matter what gear i put it in (its a 5 speed) it wouldnt go or move also whenever whatever happened the rear antilock light turned on. when i was on the side of the road with the car idling i could shift gears without pushing in the clutch with no grinding (but the runner wouldnt move of course) and whenever i gave it gas when it was in gear the mph went up like i was moving on the speedo any idea on what the problem could be any help will be greatly appreciated
thanks guys
Old 11-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Sounds like a broken output shaft, or a broken pinion gear on the diff.

Since the speedo drive gear is operating, you know at least the output shaft is spinning in the trans. So, that effectively eliminates the trans. It likely eliminates the T-case too. So, i would be looking at your diff.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCougar

Since the speedo drive gear is operating, you know at least the output shaft is spinning in the trans. So, that effectively eliminates the trans. It likely eliminates the T-case too. So, i would be looking at your diff.
He said he could shift with out a clutch, maybe that went out?

Feel free to correct me if im wrong.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:36 PM

QUOTE=DeathCougar;50981733]Sounds like a broken output shaft, or a broken pinion gear on the diff.

Since the speedo drive gear is operating, you know at least the output shaft is spinning in the trans. So, that effectively eliminates the trans. It likely eliminates the T-case too. So, i would be looking at your diff.[/QUOTE]

ahh crap sounds expensive cause i cant do it myself maybe a good time to regear though but thanks for the help man

Last edited by RoBatt; 11-25-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tubbyfatty

also said the speedo was registering, as if the truck was moving, but the truck wasn't. that eliminates the clutch since if the clutch went out, the transmission wouldn't be spinning the output shaft / speedometer gear.

Originally Posted by RoBatt

ahh crap sounds expensive cause i cant do it myself maybe a good time to regear though but thanks for the help man
if the drive shaft is spinning, but you're not going anywhere, it's in the differential. if the driveshaft is not spinning, that's another story.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:32 PM
Staff

Originally Posted by Tubbyfatty

When there is no load on the drivetrain, you can shift without the clutch. Takes a bit more effort, but it will do it without grinding.

I also thought of more more possibilty. If he broke an axle shaft, it would act like a broken diff since it has an open diff. The one side would stay still, while the broken side spun at 2x the speed inside the axle housing.

Either way, something is going on in that rear axle.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
x2 on the rear axle.... try putting the truck in gear (turned off) and try to move the drive line by hand.... if its the pinion it will spin.. if its an axle the drive shaft it wont
Old 11-25-2008, 10:28 PM

hmm.....
Old 11-25-2008, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tofer
x2 on the rear axle.... try putting the truck in gear (turned off) and try to move the drive line by hand.... if its the pinion it will spin.. if its an axle the drive shaft it wont
you mean it how? given the trans in gear, the driveshaft won't spin unless both the transmission (or transfer case) and rear end have problems.
now... in neutral, if you can spin the driveshaft by hand, the problem is in the rear end.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you need to drive it I suggest using 4wd.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
you mean it how? given the trans in gear, the driveshaft won't spin unless both the transmission (or transfer case) and rear end have problems.
now... in neutral, if you can spin the driveshaft by hand, the problem is in the rear end.
your right.. i'm tired. leave it in neutral....
Old 11-25-2008, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tofer
your right.. i'm tired. leave it in neutral....
it's okay. we all get that way.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When there is no load on the drivetrain, you can shift without the clutch. Takes a bit more effort, but it will do it without grinding.

I also thought of more more possibilty. If he broke an axle shaft, it would act like a broken diff since it has an open diff. The one side would stay still, while the broken side spun at 2x the speed inside the axle housing.

Either way, something is going on in that rear axle.
Durrr, i just now realized that....woops.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:31 AM

thanks for all the help guys i got it towed to toyota center last night but ill let you know what they said was wrong with it when they call me
Old 11-26-2008, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by 91Toyota
If you need to drive it I suggest using 4wd.
well crap i didnt even think about that ahh i feel so dumb
Old 11-26-2008, 06:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wouldn't the simple test be to put it in gear, and jump out and look at the drive shaft? shaft spins = rear axle, shaft doesn't spin = diff?
Old 11-26-2008, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
wouldn't the simple test be to put it in gear, and jump out and look at the drive shaft? shaft spins = rear axle, shaft doesn't spin = diff?
yeah they just called and siad it was def somthing in the rear diff because the rear driveshaft was spinning they siad it was going to cost $350 just to take it apart too
Old 11-26-2008, 07:58 AM
Staff

Get it out of there. You should never have taken it to Toyota.

If you would have listened to us in the FIRST place, it wouldn't cost you so much. Get it home, and take apart the rear axle. Something is obviously broken back there, and it needs to be taken apart and diagnosed. Don't pay Toyota $350 just to tell you what we already told you. Then they are going to want $2000 to fix it.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:41 AM

Get it out of there. You should never have taken it to Toyota.

If you would have listened to us in the FIRST place, it wouldn't cost you so much. Get it home, and take apart the rear axle. Something is obviously broken back there, and it needs to be taken apart and diagnosed. Don't pay Toyota $350 just to tell you what we already told you. Then they are going to want $2000 to fix it.
well if i had the tools and the knowledge to fix it i definitely would have but i have no experience with that kind of stuff so its my only option
Old 11-26-2008, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats what this place is for.... there is more knowledge base in this forum... myself excluded. than that whole toyota dealership. the rear dif is easy to access. its a few bolts to open up..