Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok Took a pic of a pic to draw on it
Old 05-11-2017, 05:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel Kirkpatrick
Ok Took a pic of a pic to draw on it
Bingo! Other than that and carefully prying the cover off with something like a stiff putty knife working all around to several different areas, there's not much to pulling a cover out with the head still on. Just go over the timing steps with a good online build thread to make sure you're good to go. Then you should be able to fire that beast up!
Old 05-11-2017, 05:18 PM

Ok i don't have that bolt in ?becuse on the old one it wasn't there any thing on a size. Of bolt to get to put one i already have valve cover off .I put new gaskets and seals all around the engine and it has been a long and challenging task . becuse i live in a apartment complex that doesn't allow working on vehicles in parking lot. So packing and unpacking everything from tools to parts in and out of my place im just a bit tierd .and need more opinions so i came here.and its working out nice but i need to sit down with my book on my truck that i have carried around to and from school reading in my spare time i find a lot in there about carb 22r and little about efi 22re
Old 05-11-2017, 05:19 PM

The bolt that goes in that hole is a long only threads on the end rest is smooth not sure exact name for that type of bolt
Old 05-11-2017, 05:47 PM

Ok i don't have that bolt in ?becuse on the old one it wasn't there any thing on a size. Of bolt to get to put one i already have valve cover off .I put new gaskets and seals all around the engine and it has been a long and challenging task . becuse i live in a apartment complex that doesn't allow working on vehicles in parking lot. So packing and unpacking everything from tools to parts in and out of my place im just a bit tierd .and need more opinions so i came here.and its working out nice but i need to sit down with my book on my truck that i have carried around to and from school reading in my spare time i find a lot in there about carb 22r and little about efi 22re
I rebuilt mine in the gravel driveway of a rental house. The landlord lived in back of the house and I didn't want him to know, so I was doing pretty much the same thing you did. It's exhausting!

As for that bolt, you should definitely get one, it's an M8x1.25, 55mm thread length. The original bolt had a 12mm head but if you buy one in a store, it'll be 13mm, no biggie just something to know.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by gsp4life
Oh, I'm talking about the one that goes in from the top front of the head into the little oil pool for the cam gear. You can see the hole for it in the pic you just posted cause you don't have the cam in. It's usually kinda hidden and easy to forget about, but it'll crack the top of your cover when you pull it.
okay thanks alot unfortunately i wont be home till monday..
And i also have school at 430 to 1030 ..please stay posted or ✔ back in for further questions and feed back on progress
Old 05-11-2017, 06:02 PM

okay thanks alot unfortunately i wont be home till monday..
And i also have school at 430 to 1030 ..please stay posted or ✔ back in for further questions and feed back on progress
Sure thing. I'm not a pro mechanic by any stretch, but I just rebuilt mine last year so it's all still fresh in my head. I'll do my best to keep you pointed in the right direction if anything comes up.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:08 PM

Smile

Sure thing. I'm not a pro mechanic by any stretch, but I just rebuilt mine last year so it's all still fresh in my head. I'll do my best to keep you pointed in the right direction if anything comes up.
thank you and im guna hit the book a lot more in the rebuild section i have the gaskets for oil pump im sure it came in the set so ill be asking a few questions about that in a day or so thanks agin really appreciate it..
Old 05-11-2017, 06:15 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
.... The original bolt had a 12mm head but if you buy one in a store, it'll be 13mm, no biggie just something to know.
13mm is "standard" for an 8mm bolt. The "smaller head" bolts are J.I.S. standard, which meant I was stuck with one 13mm replacement nut on my rig that didn't fit my usual 10-12-14mm wrenches.

But just the other day I was in my local Ace Hdwe, where I CAN buy metric hardware onesy-twosey from little drawers. Much to my delight they now have a drawer of J.I.S. hardware!

So just keep your eyes open for J.I.S. It only matters on 8, 10, 12 and 14mm bolts/nuts (not 6mm, with a 10mm head). https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-i...Head-Size.aspx
Old 05-11-2017, 06:18 PM

Okay thanks j.i.s stands for ? Is that like grade " A " bolt
Old 05-11-2017, 06:21 PM

Thanks scope, good to know! I've got an eBay supplier for my J.I.S. hardware, but I'll check Ace the next time I'm there. I don't really like having any "standard" metric bolts on my truck.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:29 PM

U can order any kind of bolt nut fasteners from copper state bolt and nut
Old 05-12-2017, 04:55 AM

J.I.S. = Japanese industrial standard.

"standard" metric hardware has larger bolt heads than J.I.S. and sometimes doesn't fit in Toyota applications as a result.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the write up that taught me what little I know about engine timing etc... It's got good detailed descriptions and pictures. Check it out!

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/EngineMods/TimingChain.shtml
Old 05-15-2017, 10:55 AM

Tell me if this sounds right 1st i pulled off my power steering pump ,vbelts,head cover ,intake ,then i pulled the timeing chain off w/th gears and sprocket , found that shiny link set engin to 0°btdc and distributor at 12o clock that sets its self when inserted my #1 &#4 rocker are able to wiggle and to make sure i pulled #1 plug and made sure it was just before full stroke and all marks and chain are were they should be now i need to hook my intake and coolant +fuel supply back up ...... Should i stick to this and try it or am i wrong and dont do it
Old 05-15-2017, 10:58 AM

That shiny link and dots on sprocket all in order ..
#1 rocker
#4 rocker engine is set 0°btdc
Old 05-15-2017, 02:03 PM

That doesn't look quite right to me. When a 22re is at 0° btdc, that timing mark on the cam pulley should point just counter clockwise of 12 o'clock. Yours is definitely clockwise of 12 enough that it looks to be off at least whole tooth. With your engine exactly as it is right now, take a pic of that plate with timing marks I was talking about earlier. Here's a drawing of it. Yours will probably have a "12" before the 8.

See that little notch on the pulley itself? It's there on yours too and will line up with the zero if you're really at 0° btdc. Also, pull the distributor cap and make sure the rotor's pointing to about 10:30.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:18 PM

Okay i didn't see your message unfortunately�� but i feel like i am getting closer ...i hope
Old 05-15-2017, 05:19 PM

Plus i really need a new battery becuse mine only last about 5 trys ..its time for a new one
Old 05-15-2017, 05:48 PM

That doesn't look quite right to me. When a 22re is at 0° btdc, that timing mark on the cam pulley should point just counter clockwise of 12 o'clock. Yours is definitely clockwise of 12 enough that it looks to be off at least whole tooth. With your engine exactly as it is right now, take a pic of that plate with timing marks I was talking about earlier. Here's a drawing of it. Yours will probably have a "12" before the 8.

See that little notch on the pulley itself? It's there on yours too and will line up with the zero if you're really at 0° btdc. Also, pull the distributor cap and make sure the rotor's pointing to about 10:30.
boy oh boy tricky tricky so tell me this if i pull my plugs & timeing chain agin should i just move the sproket 2 or 3 teeth to the right or left and what about the chain it has to be with the bright link at tdc