Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

help with 92 4runner v6 engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question help with 92 4runner v6 engine problems

hello guys,

im running into problems with my truck.. my spark plugs .. are going out due to oil.. not much say i changed them last month and month later theres oil, just need help figuring it out what seals need to be replace to stop that.. and im wasting alot of oil, but my major problem is the oil in my spark plugs im not driving it right now til i get it figure out and fix, if you need more explaining let me know, once the spark plugs get too dirty with the oil drives like its bogging out.. losing power ..

my second problem believe is my muffler.. its too deep,, like a bear breathing out deeply,, sounds nasty.. flowmaster gone shot out..
Old 02-07-2006, 05:44 PM

oh yea im looking for your guys help so when i take in the shop.. i might buy the parts have them just do the labor.. just wanted to know which seals do i need.. if thats the problem which i hope it is..
Old 02-07-2006, 05:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Might be good to know a bit more info about your rig: Miles on the odometer, any recent maintenance or parts replacement. Holw long have you owned the vehicle?

Mike in AR
Old 02-07-2006, 06:11 PM

Is the oil dripping down from the valve cover onto the boot or are the fouling out?? if they are fouling out you proable have blow by which is rings or you have bad valve seals does it smoke when you first start it?? how much oil does it use
Old 02-07-2006, 09:54 PM

sometimes when i start it up .. cold start smokes for few secs.. not always.. 190k needs a oil change i know that.. just about 2weeks i need to put oil.. i owned it for few months.. first bogg out .. i thought the reason was cheap spark plugs.. so i changed them to the bosch 2pltnm ran fine.. then i notice my exhaust seem clogged so i change my cat.. then the truck started to bogg out again.. i check the plugs and they had oil.. dirty..wires are good just the plugs.. so with the high miles it burns alot of oil i stay.. last about month, on the outside i dont see the oil dripping in.. inside the where the plugs gets lil oily.. but other then the smoke not really just when its really cold outside..
Old 02-08-2006, 03:37 AM

Oil on the outside of a spark plug is not NEARLY as bad as oil fouling on the electrode side - inside the cylinder head. It's pretty well known that 3.0 V6's don't like Bosch Platinum spark plugs. I run them in my two Camry 4-bangers ( they work fine in the Camrys) and tried to in my 4Runner V6, but changed BACK to regular NGK's. The 4Runner runs MUCH better now.

First thing I would suggest is get a complete tune-up. This includes: correct spark plugs, new rotor cap and rotor button, new plug wires ( or at least check for continuity and resistance on the old ones ), clean and lube the Mass Air Flow sensor door , make sure the Throttle Position Sensor is adusted correctly AND is actually working properly ( they can be tested ), make sure the engine is timed correctly ( I believe spec is 5 degrees BTDC), change the fuel filter and check for sufficient fuel flow and pressure while you are under there changing the filter, run a tank of fuel thru with high concentrations of your favorite fuel system cleaner ( put in on the order of two or three times as much cleaner as recommended). Hopefilly, the cleaner will help clear up any clogged injectors.

WHEW -- I know that's a lot of stuff, but you need to be sure all the fuel delivery and electronic systems are working properly before you can go forward on any 'other' problem that may still exist.

Others in this group are very knowledgeable and can relate their personal experiences. Just hang in there.

Mike in AR
Old 02-08-2006, 08:29 AM

why doesnt runners like the bosch?

i have new wires. new cap n rotor,
what are the effects of a dirty airflow sensor and how do you clean?
same for the Throttle Position Sensor?

fuel filter is it under my passenger door?

its not alot of stuff,, it just good to know...

so by having done all that, that could be the problem, the injectors are dirty so it allow the inside tips of the spark plugs to get dirty, i like the bosch becuase its pre set, maybe i can take a picture of the plugs and is there anything else to take picture of?

oh yea when i check the oil, needs a oil change, besides that there was 2 or 1 small bubble.. frend said that your seals could be getting bad,, like theres water... but then it again could be air.. but by knowing that could that be the reason the spark plugs are going out due to the oil...
Old 02-08-2006, 10:33 AM

The Air Flow Meter is basically a 'door' with a spring inside the air box ( above the place where your air filter goes ). It can be sticky and not open correctly. Make sure that door is working smoothly.

The Throttle Position Sensor is on the back side (firewall side) of the throttle body ( near where the snorkel tube from the air box enters the intake manifold). It's attached to a shaft running through the throttle body. The shaft holds the throttle plate (inside the throttle body). The other end of the shaft is attached to the bell crank (the part that your throttle cable is attached to ) is on the front side ( radiator side ) of the throttle body. The TPS adjustment is pretty tricky and testing it is not easy. If you are not comfortable working on it , you may wish to have someone familiar with Toyota TPS adjustments look at it. If it's out of adjustment or not working properly,, your ECM (Engine Control Module, aka: computer ) won't be getting the proper signals. When cleaning around your TPS / throttle body ,be sure to use cleaner that says ' For Throttle Bodies' . Regular carb cleaner is a no-no.

The fuel filter is located inside the passenger side frame rail -- about half way back.

Typically, fuel injectors are not dirty because too much dirt is coming in through the engine air filter / air intake system. Injectors are usually clog from varnish and other chemicals that flow through from the fuel system. The injectors 'could' cause some of the spark plug problem ( if that's what the problem really is ) by putting too much fuel through to the combustion chamber and fouling. You should know that injectors usually do NOT wear out for a LONG time. They do get dirty and inefficient, but many times they can be made almost good as new by taking them out and giving them a thorough cleaning.

I like Bosch too, but just not on my 3.0. Gapping plugs is not rocket science. Get a wire-type gap tool at your local parts store and go for it. The NGK's I just installed a month ago were already at the .031 gap, right outta the box. The gap tool is just nice to have to double check-- especially in case you accidentally drop one on the side electrode and the gap closes. A pic of your plugs would help. Will tell you a lot about what's going on inside your engine.

If there's water in your oil,, then it's likely the dreaded head gasket problem. But usually when a HG goes,, you know it. Change the oil and let the drippings sit for a few. See what shows up.

Mike in AR
Old 02-08-2006, 12:53 PM

i cant adjust the size of picture 48kbs. without looking terrible
Old 02-08-2006, 01:03 PM

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e5...r/DSC01034.jpg [IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-08-2006, 01:12 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-08-2006, 01:12 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-08-2006, 01:13 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-08-2006, 01:15 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-08-2006, 02:00 PM

Ah! Well one is still pretty and white. I see the others look pretty oil fouled. Were you able to get all six plugs out? The plugs in the last two holes ( one nearest the firewall on each side ) are on the cylinders subject to the most heat.

I see you have a cone-type filter element on in place of the stock one in the airbox. I have never run one of those, but I read on these posts that for these type elements to work properly they need a coating of oil. If you don't put oil on there, it allows lots more dirt to enter the engine. They are more porous,, that's why they flow better. Unfortunately, dust is not real good for rings.

My guess,, and I'm no professional engine builder ( but I've put a few together ), is that you have some rings that are shot. This lets too much oil into the combustion chamber and that, in turn, fouls the plugs.

I'd still be interested to know how many miles are on your rig. It looks like the paint has been well maintained. BTW -- the pix are great,, very clear.

Maybe some others can chime in with more info, now that you have pix posted.

Mike in AR
Old 02-08-2006, 02:23 PM

190k miles on the motor, yea the kn filter i cleaned in december, and i spray the oil for it, hopefully its not the rings.. and just the seals, cross my fingers, since im short on money i want to build up on some knowledge like getting the tps adjusted, mass airflow clean if possible, change my fuel filter, treat my gas few times,

how much say it will cost to have my rings replace, seals? i might just buy the parts have someone do it,
Old 02-08-2006, 02:24 PM

yes i was able to take all six out i just took pic of them 4, i misplace the other 2
Old 02-08-2006, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by nIgHTmaRE4RuNNeR
yes i was able to take all six out i just took pic of them 4, i misplace the other 2
OH ! OK. I was worried for a sec that your 6 had turned into a 4. Then that woulda been your REAL problem.

I really can't comment on a re-ring. It's a big undertaking. Part II is, you may get inside the engine and discover some other unpleasant issues.

Do the easy stuff first. Then see where you are.

Mike in AR
Old 02-08-2006, 05:22 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Timing for the 3.0 is 10*BTDC.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:16 AM

it cant be the timing it idle steady, it starts right up, theres no knocking noise.. only noise is the exhaust just put a new c.coverter now i need to replace the muffler sounds like ลลลล..

just waiting to get more feedback .. some one else could jump in and say some things

but so far thanks for the help.. slowly ill do the easier things first untill i get paid..

Quick Reply: help with 92 4runner v6 engine problems