Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

getting annoyed with the yota, encouragment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you are making some forward progress. Sometimes you hit these ruts dealing with such an old truck. However, as most on this thread can attest too, it is well worth the time to get to know your truck even though at the moment you are just frustrated.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:51 AM

hahha well not real frustrated about it i mean some time a guy neeed to do things to keep their minds off the daily grin life , family and bills crap like that
i injoy working on it keeps me goin and the out come is usally better when you do the work your self get im saying that a guy go to get down and get dirty and fix things
it life that frustrats me more
hard to make a living with everytime going on and coming at you
so when we get to play with our trucks and tools i guess the day just gets better of us with greass blood and sweat under our nails
know what i mean ?
Old 04-07-2012, 09:23 PM

preach on! LOL i work at a prison, and have over 50 hrs of over time a month i live there, if it wasnt for me building trucks like the yota, id go insane the the wife would kick me out of the house more often. i know people that work here and they dont build anything or fix anything and i dont understand how they dont? i mean thats part of being a dude. im working on my yota, paint cars, and build tattoo arm rests on the side if i dont build something i go INSANE! finally got the right steering stabilizer the MOOG loons good, its massive compared to the stock
Old 04-07-2012, 10:05 PM

hahah lol ya i hear ya on that ,,, i agree 100% work is slow for me now so im going crazy ,, if it wasnt for the toyota i mit end up in a nut house
cant wait to start fixing something again on my trucks
Old 04-07-2012, 10:36 PM

hey im thinking about doing a 3inch body lift on the yoter, im wanting it to look stocky, what are your thoughts on that, and could i run 31s or bigger if i did
Old 04-07-2012, 11:33 PM

It'd look great. I'm sure you can run 33's stock, at least. You might need spacers at most. I'm sure someone can chime in with the correct answer though.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:14 AM

yea, i want 33's but my motor is a 2.3 22r carb and i think it would take away what little power i have lmfao
Old 04-08-2012, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
31s will go on just fine even in stock condition. As far as giving up on the yota, I like to start with some really bad trucks and see what I can make out of them. If it is your daily ride it can be frustrating. Having a spare truck and making this a project helps take alot of the pressure off.

When it goes from a project to a daily driver that is when it looses it fun. Dont know if you have the space for it, but when you get stuck it is nice to be able to take a break from it and come back with you have had time to just think about it. That alone can make all of the difference.

Patience is a necessity in this hobby. I can say that if you can keep it where it is a relaxing hobby, you will actually enjoy over coming some of the challenges that come with it. It is a learning experience and challenge. All 3 of my builds would have made some great scrap heaps. Hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:50 AM

you could run 31s with bj spacers
Old 04-08-2012, 11:24 AM

you could run 31s with bj spacers
THATS what she said....
yea i know its like when you fix a problem on a yotie that has been annoying you it just feels good lol. my plan is to put a 3 inch body on it, im not going to be doing any hard off roading with it just moderate use at the river from time to time, so i dont want to spend alot of money on the suspension. also blakefogt where did you get your front bumper i thought about modifying mine so that it is like yours, i want a winch on the front as well.. im trying to decide on the exhaust it has a thrush muffler on it and it sounds awful, going to header it and dunno bout the muffler... any ideas?
Old 04-08-2012, 11:38 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey............I know you! hahaha.. Ok, just from here, but you know what I mean. lol. I love that line about "My wife would throw me out of the house.......MORE OFTEN", lol. And yeah, being a "bull" is a rough job(if that's what you do), so I feel for ya.

GIVE UP???? lol.... I'll read up/catch up in a bit.... Just doing a lot of cooking today, so I'm just skimming by all my sub's, ya know?

But, I will say, "SEATS" are a 'doable swap', depending on your build, etc. Are you a thinner/lighter weight dude? Or what? It matters, BIG TIME, I can tell you! lol. I swapped in tC seats, ....they're just too narrow at the bolsters for me, but GREAT seats. If I was not as wide in the back and ribs, ...they'd have worked GREAT! Camry Seats will work without much modification as well.... I can give you more info on that, asap, k?

Far as the rest, I have to read through what you're dealing with/looking for answers on, k? Can you do a Summary, right below, just to catch the eye of those just stopping in?

IE:

1. Carb is messed up
2. Needs a Starter
3. Have a "rough at idle" issue

Just examples, not saying they're your issues, lol.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:43 AM

I'll throw in my 2 cents:

Keep up on it. My 85 has 322,xxx miles and other than the blown rear end, everything else is in good condition. My '92 has had the hell beaten out of it, but still reliable when I need to use it on the roads.

I had 32's on my '92 stock, I'm now running 35's with a 3" body lift. Power is still enough to get around, but nothing to brag about on stock gears. My '85 is on 33's and is fine, even made a trip from upstate NY to IL and back right before I deployed. that's a 1600+ mile round trip, blew the rear end in IL, made the whole trip back and it wasn't until about a week later that it fully grenaded on me.

I can go on forever about the hundreds of offroad trips my '92 has gone on and still made it back under it's own power, in one piece or not. Stick with it man, and do some research. You might run into problems that seem difficult to fix, but in the end, it usually just takes patience
Old 04-08-2012, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by d_bomb
I'll throw in my 2 cents:

Keep up on it. My 85 has 322,xxx miles and other than the blown rear end, everything else is in good condition. My '92 has had the hell beaten out of it, but still reliable when I need to use it on the roads.

I had 32's on my '92 stock, I'm now running 35's with a 3" body lift. Power is still enough to get around, but nothing to brag about on stock gears. My '85 is on 33's and is fine, even made a trip from upstate NY to IL and back right before I deployed. that's a 1600+ mile round trip, blew the rear end in IL, made the whole trip back and it wasn't until about a week later that it fully grenaded on me.

I can go on forever about the hundreds of offroad trips my '92 has gone on and still made it back under it's own power, in one piece or not. Stick with it man, and do some research. You might run into problems that seem difficult to fix, but in the end, it usually just takes patience
I can second that, especially on the "CAN'T EVEN COUNT the great trips and memories BECAUSE of the Yota!" lol...Ok, that's my version, but you get the point, lol.

I have had 33's on one, 32's on another, 31's on most of them, .... Never been powerhouses (all 22RE's but one, the 83).... but PLENTY of power to get me there, ........eventually. lol. In this one, I'm still needing to work out some mileage bugs... But on HWY, I'm pulling around 20mpg, not too bad... And I can do 70mph up the Cahon Pass now, after my build, where I used to be stuck in 3rd, BEGGING the thing, at 45 or so! lol. Oh, and WITH THE AIR ON I can pull Most any hill into Nevada/AZ and keep up a respectable pace with most everyone else. It's a long list what I've done(mostly internal), but with the Header, all the internals including CAM.... and just 4.30 gears on 31's... IT'S PLENTY to keep me happy. Ask anyone, too... I COULD EASILY have given up on this thing, clean or not, at many points! lol.... it was a NIGHTMARE, ........but most every gremlin is defeated and I'm nearing '90% or so restoration'.... Don't give up..... Unless of course you want to, ....no big deal! lol... Just remember, you wouldn't have posted this here if you weren't looking for a bunch of Yotaheads to TALK YOU INTO KEEPING ON! lol.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:06 PM

PS> .... On pirate, your title???? OH MY GOSHHHHH! lol... You'd have been RAVAGED! lol. ...........Yes, that's why I enjoy Yotatech, lol. One of many reasons, anyhow, lol.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
hahahha, ZeroHour, that commercial is hilarious! sweet seeing a 2nd Gen yota in an old commercial.

I would hang on to your yota just for the 5-speed if nothing else. both my 'little' yotas are manuals, wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
on a funny sidenote for toyota reliability, my runner was purchased by us in middle of '08, somewhere about 14 months later (after driving something like 5k miles at least) I changed out plugs and found a ford ranger autolite plug in the pass side rear cylinder that didn't even fit all the way in, it wasn't even firing ! ran all that time, took it waaay back into the national forest with family and all many times, she pulled thru even with 5 cylinders for OVER A YEAR, hahaha!

hang on to her.... (I know, beating a dead horse at this point...)
Old 04-08-2012, 04:49 PM

first off whats a bull... lol

alright where to begin on a summary... pretty much the reason i started this was being annoyed with the e brake messing with the motor starting, and the fuel gauge not working, it running bad, and the steering wheel going crazy in fifth gear. since then i have fixed the darn e brake problem, the fuel problem is still present. i found some loose plug wires, fixed some vacuum lines, and replaced the steering stabilizer that i didnt know it had.:deep breath:

with all that said, here is a list of things i am going to order for it, and a list of questions that i need answers on to further this project along to the road of " work truck ready" as in daily driver to some what save on gas.

things im about to do or buy:
1. rebuilding the starter
2. lower radiator hose (going flex hose because i cant find wtf fits it)
3. floor board metal patching (previous owner ripped holes behind the seat
and put duct tape on it... lol)
4.driver side door hinge bushings
5. full rubber floor mat
6. temp gauge and a piller gauge pod
7. iv got to get the damn fuel gauge working and the turn signals
8. decent good tires, going to get some mud tires with the rims i have for it.

now here are the questions that i am wondering.
1. this thing has a thrush glass pack exhaust thing on it, what muffler can i put on it that wont make it sound gay, also im buying a aftermarket header for it.

2. what would make none of the turn signals work on front and back.

3. .... well i dont know three but im sure as soon as i post this i will think of another.. lol pics soon, i polished up my skid plate and will have pics of that soon.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by CountryYota
first off whats a bull... lol

alright where to begin on a summary... pretty much the reason i started this was being annoyed with the e brake messing with the motor starting, and the fuel gauge not working, it running bad, and the steering wheel going crazy in fifth gear. since then i have fixed the darn e brake problem, the fuel problem is still present. i found some loose plug wires, fixed some vacuum lines, and replaced the steering stabilizer that i didnt know it had.:deep breath:

with all that said, here is a list of things i am going to order for it, and a list of questions that i need answers on to further this project along to the road of " work truck ready" as in daily driver to some what save on gas.

things im about to do or buy:
1. rebuilding the starter
2. lower radiator hose (going flex hose because i cant find wtf fits it)
3. floor board metal patching (previous owner ripped holes behind the seat
and put duct tape on it... lol)
4.driver side door hinge bushings
5. full rubber floor mat
6. temp gauge and a piller gauge pod
7. iv got to get the damn fuel gauge working and the turn signals
8. decent good tires, going to get some mud tires with the rims i have for it.

now here are the questions that i am wondering.
1. this thing has a thrush glass pack exhaust thing on it, what muffler can i put on it that wont make it sound gay, also im buying a aftermarket header for it.

2. what would make none of the turn signals work on front and back.

3. .... well i dont know three but im sure as soon as i post this i will think of another.. lol pics soon, i polished up my skid plate and will have pics of that soon.
Hmmm......... Well, first of all.... YOU, sir, are a "bull", lol... Bull or Boss=Prison Guard.... Maybe you're in another dept... sorry I didn't read that thoroughly if so, lol....

Anywhoooooooo, Hmmmm, I can see this seeming overwhelming, bud... don't let it get to ya.. You'll get it

1. I run a Borla, ...most like how my exhaust sounds... It's very throaty until Higher RPM and then it's more... Ummm, like a Dirt Track car? lol. Hard to explain, but I've posted some videos of it several times. Anywhoooooooo, .... MOST seem to go for the "Flowmaster".... And I'm not too familiar with which ones are more throaty/ricey... They have a 40 series, 60 Series and 80(???)... Like I said, not too sure but good quality for the buck, ya know? I've had a couple Magnaflow Mufflers, and currently run a Magnaflow Hi(GHER) flow CAT, lol.... ALWAYS found they sounded just fine... And with a header, it can make some mufflers sound terrible and others nice and throaty.

2. Maybe one of the main fusible links are for the signal lamps????? I'd have to look into that one. Maybe there is a form of relay for them, also... I just can't say as I've not had that issue... But SOMEONE like 4crawler or Irab or Aviator will help you fish down that really quick... I would think fusible link or fuse, personally. But could be a bust in the harness where it splits into all of them... Gotta trace it back from the last source of juice before the signals, right?

3. I'll see what I think when you post something up! lol.

Sounds like you're set to 'GET'R'DONE', buddy..... so best wishes on the hunt/battles for restoration
Old 04-08-2012, 08:38 PM

Also, can't believe nobody put it out, but how is your frame?? That was one of the deciding factors for me taking the '92 off the road. I broke (I mean BROKE) the frame so many times on trail rides. It's still street legal and I've re-enforced it it whenever it broke, but it always finds a new place to crack or split. My '85 however is solid.

I gave up on my '92 ONCE, but not fully. I took the pics, but I couldn't bring myself to post it for sale. Back when it was my daily driver, it was broke more than it ran. But now that it's for trails and mud, I haven't had much issues (go figure lol) but even when I do, I don't stress on it as much. Makes life more enjoyable.

And for exhaust, I have a pace setter header for like $90 on ebay (broke the stock exhaust and downpipe too many times) running through a couple setups. the glasspack isn't too bad for my use, but the thrush I picked up from autozone or somewhere for about $30 sounds decent, and is pretty quite, even with no cat (at least in my opinion)
Old 04-08-2012, 11:56 PM

yep im the guy on the yard monitoring all the offenders just never heard it called that before. haha iv fixed all the wires on the pig tail and further down on the signals and replaced the flasher for the signals with no help, but thats just part of it, its like just because its a small little truck i have more patients with it. i dunno, it will be figured out. im tossing money at this thing left and right, but i want it to be a nice ride and dependable, we will see if anything it will be a river/ trail runner. my frame is perfect, nothing wrong with it, im going to flat bed it because of the crappy bed, aka rust cancer. when i do i will box in the back of the frame like iv seen so many do. that should help on the flex. im just ready to get the starter back and get the road legal stuff figured out so i can start playing with it more, iv also got to snag some good tires. i have a set of drag lite type rims im going to hydro print in real tree, ill post pics but it will be a while lol. small things first or the important ones anyways

Quick Reply: getting annoyed with the yota, encouragment?