86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front Swaybar Remove or Keep?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took the sway bar off for a quick off road jaunt, then drove it like that to this gas station off the main freeway to get back home. It didn't FEEL different, but I noticed my steereing wheel moved way more. It would turn almost all the way to 1 side or another just for a minor turn. I didn't like THAT part, but the truck didn't drive a whole lot different. I'm going to do the disconnects just in case I try to drive it like my Beemer one of these days.

I looked at 4crawlers site, but can't understand the disconnect part. Do you pull the sway bar off? or do the QD's allow the A-Arm to flex freely up and down off road, and maintain the side to side support on road? Is that right?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:31 PM

I ran swaybar discos for awhile, and then one day my truck was so muddy that I didn't feel like crawling under it to reinstall them and drove home. I discovered that I didn't need them, so off they went along with the swaybar. Now that my rig is SAS'd and I really have no use for it on my truck. I might look into a Currie Anti-Rock swaybar if I ever feel that I need one again.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by seafarinman
I ran swaybar discos for awhile, and then one day my truck was so muddy that I didn't feel like crawling under it to reinstall them and drove home. I discovered that I didn't need them, so off they went along with the swaybar. Now that my rig is SAS'd and I really have no use for it on my truck. I might look into a Currie Anti-Rock swaybar if I ever feel that I need one again.
Well if you still have the discos, sell em to me.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I get a new truck I usually huck the sway bar in the same pile as the torque rod (solid axle trucks), the valance, and the bumper ends. I've only had a sway bar go back on once, and that was because I had rears up front and the truck would practically lay on its side with all 4 wheels on the ground around a corner lol. If you have a lifted truck you shouldn't be riding peoples ass' anyway minimizing "panic swerves." Oh and mudflaps usually go into the same pile as well, I've got them for landcruisers pickups of all years etc lol.

Last edited by Luvmeye22re; 11-12-2007 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:16 PM

I run without sway bar and have driven on winding mountain roads, freeway, in town, out of town and barely noticed the difference. Take the Sway Bar off!! If you loose yours I'll send you one, I have two beside the house(don't ask!).
Old 11-12-2007, 06:24 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tofer
The front bar didnt increase body roll THAT much. disconnecting the rear caused greater body roll. but i drove my truck as hard as i could but you gotta remember you wont be able to keep up with a BMW in the corners.

will disconnecting the swaybar increase body roll? yes. is it that noticeable under normal driving conditions? no. in a Panic swerve will in increase you chance of roll over? yes. BUT you shouldnt be doing panic swerves in a 4runner ANYWAYS!

i think discos are a waste of money for the front. pull it off, if you dont like it, put it back on and then buy discos.

x2 - every word of it
Old 11-12-2007, 09:36 PM

as far as reding this im guess its not the driver here its the rig and how "SHE" wants to play me ha i got my truck and 2 days later over flexed the front and poof broke that link and ever since never knew i did she drove just fine and yes i drift her wheel her and do 135(down a big big big big big big big hill) and no differnce here so im just guessing that its a rig thing not a driver think but im sure theres going to be alot of peope to disagree with me but hey mines fine in fact ill sell you mine still good never used lol
Old 11-14-2007, 11:13 AM

I went to take my front off on my 93 pickup back in the summer and broke a bolt off in the frame so needless to say it's still off. Under normal driving I don't notice a difference.