Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Flopping around in the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Flopping around in the engine?

954runner

I heard this crazy flopping noise in the engine while driving. I made it to work and popped the hood and noticed where the fan connects to the engine, that has belts around it, was flopping around like crazy. Not the fan, but the part that it attaches to that goes to the engine. I hope i have the tools to tighten it down. It looks like i may have to take some things out to get to it? I guess there is a bolt in the dead center that keeps it straight?
Old 04-15-2008, 06:31 AM

which motor?
Old 04-15-2008, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like the fan bracket or fan bracket bearing is bad.

EDIT: Oh yeah which motor, if its a V6 its probably the fan bracket or bearing. I guess the 22re has a real water pump there huh.

Last edited by mt_goat; 04-15-2008 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:34 AM

3vz engine v6 4wd.

Can i just tighten it, or do i need to go out and buy something? Is it easy to get to and do?

Last edited by djrazr; 04-15-2008 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep...fan bracket bearing... good luck..i needed one a few years back(b4 i knew about yotatech) and had to order one from the dealer...$600...The bearing and bracket are one piece.I tried to redo the bearings but i was told by eastern bearing that it couldnt be done. had to order the whole thing. might as well do the water pump and tbelt while youre there
Old 04-15-2008, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

If its the fan bracket or the bearing in the fan bracket, either way you'll need a new fan bracket. There are some cheap import fan brackets avaliable on ebay and around. Hold onto your checkbook if you go to a dealer for one.

I suppose there is a slight chance the bolts that hold the fan bracket on are loose, but its pretty common for the fan bracket to break or for the bearing to wear out.

Last edited by mt_goat; 04-15-2008 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:05 AM

so is it bad for me to drive around? This is the only car i have, and i dont have the funds to order something right now. Its not the actual fan that is flopping. Its the part that it connects to that has the belt around it that goes to the engine, if that's what you call the fan bracket

Do i need to remove anything to atleast check to see if there is a slight chance it could just be loose?

I just recently did the timing belt and water pump 1k miles ago

this is it

Last edited by djrazr; 04-15-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by djrazr
so is it bad for me to drive around? This is the only car i have, and i dont have the funds to order something right now

Do i need to remove anything to atleast check to see if there is a slight chance it could just be loose?

I just recently did the timing belt and water pump 1k miles ago
Heck yeah its bad to drive like that. Some people have had it break loose at speed and it punched holes in the radiator, destroyed the fan, etc...

Its not that hard to replace it (I did it on my 5VZFE, the 3VZE should be about the same), you need to pull off the fan and all the drive belts, remove the upper radiator hose and the timing belt cover. Remove about 4 bolts and its off.

Last edited by mt_goat; 04-15-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Heck yeah its bad to drive like that. Some people have had it break loose at speed and it punched holes in the radiator, destroyed the fan, etc...

It not that hard to replace it (I did it on my 5VZFE, the 3VZE should be about the same), you need to pull off the fan and all the drive belts, remove the upper radiator hose and the timing belt cover. Remove about 4 bolts and its off.

so when i pull it off, do i need to align anything when i put it back together?
Old 04-15-2008, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by djrazr
so when i pull it off, do i need to align anything when i put it back together?
Its not like you have to remove the timing belt or anything like that. The hardest part maybe just getting the 4 fan nuts off. I don't think you have to remove the power steering pump. When I did my 5VZ it was already off, so I'm not sure.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:32 AM

crap - found a new one at the junk yard for $350..ouch
Old 04-15-2008, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member

I'm using a cheap aftermarket bracket I got off ebay for $89.95 plus shipping (for the 5VZ). They probably won't last as long and may fail at speed with collateral damage but I'm running an electric fan now which takes a lot of stress off the bracket and removes a lot of the collateral damage potential.

In fact, some have switched to an e-fan and shorter drive belts and have just removed or bypassed the fan bracket altogether. It's only real purpose is to support the fan.

Last edited by mt_goat; 04-15-2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
I'm using a cheap aftermarket bracket I got off ebay for $89.95 plus shipping (for the 5VZ). They probably won't last as long and may fail at speed with collateral damage but I'm running an electric fan now which takes a lot of stress off the bracket and removes a lot of the collateral damage potential.

In fact, some have switched to an e-fan and shorter drive belts and have just removed or bypassed the fan bracket altogether. It's only real purpose is to support the fan.

Im trying to do this the cheapest way possible, but not looking to get one off ebay just yet.

Tell me about the e-fan. Where to get one? Is it a universal? Do i have to also get shorter drive belts?
Old 04-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Contributing Member

Here's the latest e-fan thread:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/g...nstall-142627/

There are lots of others, just start using that search botton up near the top and you'll find a ton of info about them.

The reason you'd need shorter drive belts if you remove the fan bracket is because the fan bracket also has those belt pulleys attacted to it.

The absolte cheapest way to get you back on the road would be to install an aftermarket fan bracket now. But if you go that route I'd suggest sometime soon switching to an e-fan mod to take the stress off of the fan bracket. As long as you keep a fan bracket in place you don't have to go to shorter drive belts, that was only if you wanted to bypass the fan bracket.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:43 AM

Maybe its a carp.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16
Maybe its a carp.

Carp?
Old 04-15-2008, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DO NOT DRIVE IT LIKE THAT! If it hucks itself apart you could not only lose the fan, but the radiator, shroud, hood and anything else in it's path. Don't drive it.

Personally, I HATE electric fans and won't use them anymore.

The biggest problem is that if the electric fan goes south you have little or no warning and it takes your engine with it.

Secondly, the mechanical fan pulls a LOT more air than an electric can. A lot of it has to do with the schrouding which unless you are a real good fabricator you won't be able to do with an electric.
You may think the clutch disengages but I can tell you, when running down the highway on a hot day with the AC blasting the clutch fan is tight and pulling a LOT of air. You can hear it (turn down the radio.)

That's not to say that OEM electric systems that are designed for the purpose don't work well, but they have safety's and are sized for the application.

I'd stay far away from electrics if I were you on a Daily Driver.

As to using a $90 'ebay' fan bracket, I'd say go for it. ALL bearings are made in china anyway, so all you really need to worry about is the housing and if it'll hold the load (which should be light) and fits it shouldn't make any difference.

Changing it is easy. As goat says, upper hose, fan and 4 bolts and it's off. Nothing to align during reassembly. If you are cautious you won't even have to loosen the accessory drive belts (though chances are they need adjustment anyway.)
Old 04-15-2008, 01:09 PM

Carp, its a fish. A floppy fish.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx

Secondly, the mechanical fan pulls a LOT more air than an electric can.
This is maybe true at high rpms, but an e-fan can run at high speed while the engine is idling or low rpms, like wheeling slowly or bumper to bumper traffic.

Good point about the shrouding, it can take some fabrication skills to make a good shroud for an e-fan. I spent a lot of time making this one:
Old 04-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not the AC belt is it?

Quick Reply: Flopping around in the engine?