86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First real trail run.....possible hydrolock? :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First real trail run.....possible hydrolock? :(

Well I finally went on my first real trail run today with a buddy.

Damages:
Pinstriping, and lots of it.....
Skid plate got folded under
Went thru large ruts, water splashed, engine stalled. Didn't even want to try to start it. A few hours later it sits on a street, still don't know if I should try to start it.

What do you guys think? Water filter was soaked, took off intake, water came out.

It has been sitting for about 5 and a quarter hours now (7:15 to 12:30)

The plan is to get a trailer there tomorrow and tow it back home. (20 minute drive).

So do you guys think I should try to start it now, or no?
Old 10-25-2008, 09:38 PM

If you're worried you hydrolocked it pull the plugs and then turn it over. Have someone look in the hole to see if anything comes out.

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
take out the spark plugs and turn it over, itll shoot the water right out

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
take the plugs out and crank it over a few times. drain alllll the water from the intake and dry or replace ur filter. change the oil and diff fluids.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:39 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Wow !!!
Old 10-25-2008, 09:39 PM

More time could save you thousands in repairs, so unless you make a few hundred an hour I would have to say wait.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water filter? I didn't know that they had those. I guess the air filter could become one if you fill it full of water. If it shut off fairly quickly, you probably didn't hurt much. Are you sure you didn't just soak the distributor? I'd clean that out, and also check to see if there is water and mud in the throttle body. That could indicate a problem.
EDIT: I didn't read the whole post where you said the intake was full of water. Pulling the spark plugs hopefully will do the trick. Also, change your oil with cheap stuff, and run the engine for a short time after the change. Then do that again if alot of milky stuff is in the oil still. Then put back in what you normally run. Good luck and hope you don't run into any major problems.

Last edited by '884Runner; 10-25-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pull the sparkplugs and then crank the motor, that will clear the water (if there is any) out. Then change you oil (put in cheap stuff cause you'll be changing in again soon, if it runs). Then, and only then, try to start it up.

If it runs badly, open up the distributer cap, and dry it out, give a quick shot of WD40. After this, if it still runs bad, chances are that you did hydrolock.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:45 PM

Lol. I wish I made a few hundred an hour.

Thanks guys!! I'll get on that. So take out ALL of the plugs? or if I take out one and nothing comes out am I safe?

I was amazed with the $#i! I made it through today, in fact the buddy who was riding with me was extremely impressed. The only trucks who even try are the lifted K5 Blazers and 70's fords and dodges.

And to top it off I was about a good 1000 ft from the end of the trail. Next time, get a snorkel!

(Awesome response time!)
Old 10-25-2008, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by 24Runna
Lol. I wish I made a few hundred an hour.

Thanks guys!! I'll get on that. So take out ALL of the plugs? or if I take out one and nothing comes out am I safe?

I was amazed with the $#i! I made it through today, in fact the buddy who was riding with me was extremely impressed. The only trucks who even try are the lifted K5 Blazers and 70's fords and dodges.

And to top it off I was about a good 1000 ft from the end of the trail. Next time, get a snorkel!

(Awesome response time!)
No. no. Take all the plugs out. You DONT want it to start..thats part of the reason to take the plugs out. clean all the intake out.
I forgot about the distributor. Clean/dry that. Dont over look the ...battery charger...the name just slipped my mine.............wow i feel stupid...
Old 10-25-2008, 09:53 PM

Alternata
Old 10-25-2008, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You really need to pull all of the plugs. Check your dipstick and see if any milky white fluid is on it. This would indicate water creeping past the rings. I'd prolly change the oil just in case. I drowned my fourwheeler too many times to count and all I did was pull the plugs and change oil, in other words don't worry too much. Also as Matt16 said, check your distrib cap.

sweet. sounds good. Thaks guys, I really appreciate it.

I was planning on replacing the valve cover seals today, but went offroading instead.

Well I guess I'll just do all of this tomorrow.

I am NOT happy about getting pulled out by a suburban (an '04), and then towed to the street by a Heep.

YOu seriously made my day MUCH better. I seriously though I was .

Last edited by 24Runna; 10-25-2008 at 09:58 PM.

Originally Posted by Mic09dcsm
Alternata
YES! alternator. I was gunna say generator...but they quit using those in like the 70's....
I feel really dumb...
Old 10-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
look for this on the side of the block...

ok no, not really... that's not even a Toyota motor, lol, it's the first Ford 2.3l my cousine put a rod through the block when he hydrolocked it in his Ranger...

but yeah, I've had the same happen to my 22re. Started to creep into a whole, sunk a little and stopped moving when the water was about at my bumper. Well I thought I could just back up, get a little more momentum, and I'd pull through. Well, I did just that, problem is I got a little too much speed and splashed a wave of water up over my hood... The truck actually climbed out of the hole still, and then stalled out with my foot on the throttle wide open. It really scared me, the first thing I did was rip the air filter out; it was freek'n soaked. So I pulled the intake tube off the throttle body, and there was visually a great amount of water that made it into the intake manifold. So right there, I pulled all 4 plugs, then hit the starter. A couple little squirts came out, I put the plugs back in and threw the intake back together and drove her back home with no air filter, lol. Haven't had any lasting issues what so ever from the happening.

My point is, you may have not done as much damage as you fear. It really depends on how the truck stalled out imo. Most hydrolocks that make major damage will go from say 2000 or 3000 RPMs to a dead stop in the blink of and eye, usually with a audible "clank" of "clunk". Now if it just stalled and sputtered out, you probably just soaked the air filter to the point where the motor wasn't getting the air it needed to run, and instead it pulled a little water into the intake manifold, visually leading you to believe you've made a costly mistake...

1st thing I would do is pull the plugs (all 4 at the same time; take em all out), then hit the ignition and turn the truck over for a total of about 5-10 seconds, or untill you're positive you don't see any water shooting out of the cylinders (if there any in there at all). If all is dry, put some new plugs in, and try to fire her up again. If it starts and runs fine, throw a new air filter in it and change the oil as suggested above, and your good to go.

One thing to note though, one thing I did damage was my AFM. Not really the moving trap door inside, but the temp sencor that protrudes down from the top of it. I filled it with muddy water, and I couldn't clean it out, so I ended up replacing the AFM all together.

Good luck thoough, and lut us know how it turns out!

oh yeah, I just remembered about a picture of that night too, lol...

all up under the hood pulling plugs, lol... whatta night that turned out to be...

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 10-25-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
YES! alternator. I was gunna say generator...but they quit using those in like the 70's....
I feel really dumb...
My friend who is extremely intelligent couldn't remember that I was condescending. So we all have brain farts, even the smart ones. Be damned faulty synapses, or the beer....
Old 10-25-2008, 11:07 PM

Awesome response iamsuperbleeder. Very helpful (not that anyone else is less then helpful). What you described is EXACTLY what happened. Do you think I REALLY need new spark plugs? I just replaced them last winter or 15k ago. And the dist. and wires I replaced over the summer. Poop, I hope I don't have to replace those. Good thing though is that I have to replace the valve cover seals anyways, so I can clean the mud from the manifold there too.

Speaking of brain farts I totally blanked on how to spell my last name today...lol.

EDIT: Pics of the truck, and where I got stuck tomorrow.

Last edited by 24Runna; 10-25-2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Awesome response iamsuperbleeder. Very helpful (not that anyone else is less then helpful). What you described is EXACTLY what happened. Do you think I REALLY need new spark plugs? I just replaced them last winter or 15k ago. And the dist. and wires I replaced over the summer. Poop, I hope I don't have to replace those. Good thing though is that I have to replace the valve cover seals anyways, so I can clean the mud from the manifold there too.

Speaking of brain farts I totally blanked on how to spell my last name today...lol.

EDIT: Pics of the truck, and where I got stuck tomorrow.
well, I just replaced them myself cause their a whole $2 a peice...

the cap and rotor, well if no water got in then you're fine and I woudln't worry about it
Old 10-26-2008, 11:06 PM

WAHHHHHH
I think its toast....

After the HUGE ordeal with getting it towed its finally in my garage. After I pulled the plugs and tried to crank it, Water shot out at the person looking to see if water was coming out. But it doesn't crank really. It tries to but just kind of clanks....

I have a video of the noise. I'm really hoping its just the starter not engaging all the way. I had a friends dad come out to look at it, and he "couldn't fathom water in the engine"

There was mud on the spark plugs too.

I'm think worse case is a rebuild>?

DAMN! this sucks, it's my DD too. Any idea on cost if I need a rebuild?

POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP.... In the mean time there is marvel mystery oil in the cylinder for rust protection.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
WAHHHHHH
I think its toast....

After the HUGE ordeal with getting it towed its finally in my garage. After I pulled the plugs and tried to crank it, Water shot out at the person looking to see if water was coming out. But it doesn't crank really. It tries to but just kind of clanks....

I have a video of the noise. I'm really hoping its just the starter not engaging all the way. I had a friends dad come out to look at it, and he "couldn't fathom water in the engine"

There was mud on the spark plugs too.

I'm think worse case is a rebuild>?

DAMN! this sucks, it's my DD too. Any idea on cost if I need a rebuild?

POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP.... In the mean time there is marvel mystery oil in the cylinder for rust protection.

Personally, I'd buy a replacement engine. They only cost about $300 for a 22RE (never looked up a 3VZ-E) and the down time will be a lot less than is you were to rebuild the engine. If you want you could even put in a 3.4L V6 while you're at it, but that's a little more owrk.

Last edited by Matt16; 10-26-2008 at 11:17 PM.

Quick Reply: First real trail run.....possible hydrolock? :(