86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Extreme cold issues??

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by denpacc
I am sure you checked this, but did you actually hear your block heater working after you plugged it in? Sounds to me like your block heater is not functioning properly if your motor is barely turning over or your electical outlet isn't working, or your battery is frozen.

Cheers and good luck.
Ya, the block heater is definatly working, i finally got it started this morning, but not without a struggle. I think my gas lines where freezing a bit, since my tank is just a bout empty, and i'm gonna throw some different coolant in to see if that makes a difference.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Keener
Ya, the block heater is definatly working, i finally got it started this morning, but not without a struggle. I think my gas lines where freezing a bit, since my tank is just a bout empty, and i'm gonna throw some different coolant in to see if that makes a difference.
Glad to hear you got it started. With the tank just about empty that makes sense. Throw some gas line anti-freeze in it too, my cousin has parked his truck outside here in Calgary since he bought his truck in 1991 (3.0 V6) and swears by gas line anti-freeze and a full tank...he's never ever had a problem starting it no matter how cold it got (but it's always plugged in too).

Cheers
Old 01-30-2008, 04:00 PM

I am sure you checked this, but did you actually hear your block heater working after you plugged it in? Sounds to me like your block heater is not functioning properly if your motor is barely turning over or your electical outlet isn't working, or your battery is frozen.

Cheers and good luck.

finally the temp is slowly coming up.....i havent touched it since monday morning and the over heating issue..figure ill wait till the weekend..when we hit -8

and...after plugging in the block heater and listening...i hear nothing

is it actually supposed to make a noise??

i did check the outlet though...all good there
Old 01-30-2008, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Vohaul
finally the temp is slowly coming up.....i havent touched it since monday morning and the over heating issue..figure ill wait till the weekend..when we hit -8

and...after plugging in the block heater and listening...i hear nothing

is it actually supposed to make a noise??

i did check the outlet though...all good there
Yes you should hear the block heater faintly (unless you are hard of hearing), it's not loud but you'll definitely hear it. I always make sure to hear it when I plug in my vehicle at work, otherwise you have a frozen block with the temps we've been having.

Good thing its warming up...

Cheers
Old 01-30-2008, 05:45 PM

Yes you should hear the block heater faintly (unless you are hard of hearing), it's not loud but you'll definitely hear it. I always make sure to hear it when I plug in my vehicle at work, otherwise you have a frozen block with the temps we've been having.

Good thing its warming up...

Cheers
so anyway...figured its -19 now...so i tried to start it....started fine....let it idle ..climbed to 2500..while warming up....
seems fine...although after a few minutes it started surging....got in hit gas...settled down to its normal...so anyhoo...

let it idle another 10 min...went around the block couple times...no prob..temp needle on 1/2 ..power fine....no probs...but no heat????

so well...figure..hasnt warmed up enough...so i left it idleing... ten min later...still no heat....took for another spin around block..and..

temp nedle started climbing fast......got it home...let it idle..settled down a bit....but if i reved the gas..needle went up again.....but still no heat in the cab..shut it down....

thermostat??

Last edited by Vohaul; 01-30-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:59 PM

I am thinking it is your thermostat. I am sure someone else might chime in with their 2cents.

Cheers
Old 01-31-2008, 02:31 PM

Nope man your thermostat stuck, cant tell you how many times this happens in winter in ky, replace it
Old 01-31-2008, 02:32 PM

nope man your thermostat stuck, cant tell you how many times it happens to us in ky, replace it and dont drive it till you do or the head gasket will blow
Old 02-04-2008, 06:08 AM

my roommate has a '90 something blazer and the cab heat quit on him the other day, and a radiater flush solved his problem.

it may be worth a shot
Old 02-04-2008, 06:53 AM

Mine did the same thing saturday, only it seemed to be spitting the coolant into the exhaust....watch for the white smoke, and good luck on the replacement of the hg's.