Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

example of too much lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dunno, I don't see an issue with the video. Everyone builds their rigs with different goals in mind.

Bigger is usually cooler so people tend to go that way. The more serious off-roaders who do it as a passion, not a cool hobby to boost an ego (like most young bucks who build up a crappy rig then sell it and get a crotch rocket, then sell that for a civic etc....)..., build their rigs more technically and for more of a purpose.

I've had many friends buy and build rigs, get bored and move on to something different. Cutting corners to achieve the final build to fit an image status. I don't think the vehicle in question is built by an idiot in a offroading phase of his life since I don't see an issue with its suspension. It didn't seem sketchy once to me. I've scared a lot of passangers on their first wheeln adventure with the traversing angles our rigs are REALLY capable of before flopping. Anything past 25 degrees usually makes most not used to this stuff pucker up.

This debate has no conclusion because everyone builds there stuff for different reasons. I'll offer my worthless opinion and say I prefer more efficency, less cool. So lower, more stable and fitted for a terrain the rig will mostly see. So, in my case my goals wouuld be to SAS my rig, with 3" springs , front rear lockers and 33x10.5 bfg muds. with an exo and a custom bed built to take hits.

I'm not a swamp goer, I'm not much of a rock crawler. I'm a weekend hill hitter and a weekly Daily driver.

Just food for thought

Last edited by drew303; 09-22-2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt16
Take it easy on the poor fellow, he can't even compose a full sentence. Besides, the full expression, right out of Dublin, is "May God have mercy on your miserable gas-sniffin', orphan-beatin' soul."

This originally was meant to spur on a discussion on over-lifted rigs (ie: huge lift before lockers, armour, gears, etc) without thought to proper damping, good steering setup etc DRIVER SKILL etc. This wasn't intended as a p!ssing contest. Go prove your "manhood" elsewhere. And remember:

i dont have to prove my man hood i made a statement to support a fellow wheeler,were all here i though to enjoy the company and support each other that enjoys wheeling we all aint perfect .i built my truck with my own two hands like alot of the rest of the people on here no one should be critisized for building the truck how they want give him props not sh===========t
Old 09-23-2008, 01:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The truck looks fine to me...

Maybe some better shocks as mentioned, and a few driver training classes and that would be a different video. He doesn't hold a line for crap.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm just surprised none of the idiot bystanders got smushed...
Old 09-23-2008, 05:10 AM

Take it easy on the poor fellow, he can't even compose a full sentence. Besides, the full expression, right out of Dublin, is "May God have mercy on your miserable gas-sniffin', orphan-beatin' soul."

This originally was meant to spur on a discussion on over-lifted rigs (ie: huge lift before lockers, armour, gears, etc) without thought to proper damping, good steering setup etc DRIVER SKILL etc. This wasn't intended as a p!ssing contest. Go prove your "manhood" elsewhere. And remember:

HA nobodys arguing, you can wipe your eyes, and rest easy. BTW go watch Billy Madison.

So this thread is all about form vs function ehh ....sad.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by john rumbo
i love when stockers try to hate grow balls and go deep lots of wheel flex is a good thing a lot of us love livin on the edge the adrenaline is great jeeps by the way has coil spring suspension cannot compare it to a leaf spring suspension research and learn a thing or two get off flat roads
What 4rnr said, times two. Research and learn a thing or two about grammar and punctuation.

I would also have to agree with the truck's setup. It's not a bad setup, though it could be better. Looks more to me like driver skill and picking bad lines. He blatantly ignores his spotter a few times.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4rnr
HA nobodys arguing, you can wipe your eyes, and rest easy. BTW go watch Billy Madison.

So this thread is all about form vs function ehh ....sad.
Read the post again, I was kidding.

I agree, form should follow function, and I'm surprised anyone think otherwise.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:45 PM

Read the post again, I was kidding.

I agree, form should follow function, and I'm surprised anyone think otherwise.
first part is directed at you, second part is directed to all applicable posters
Old 09-23-2008, 02:07 PM

Wow! Tough thread!
Old 09-23-2008, 02:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Only times I can ever see tall being good is when your mudding and that only!

My truck is on 37's and with 5" lift thats been modified to about a 3" or so. I was way to tall before but now Im about how I like it. Its all preference and if they want to be tall and sketchy let em! youll never see me taller lift wise on my truck but bgger tires yes. I dont have to lift it much at all to fit big tires and to fit 35 hell you need about 2" not 5+ the diffs are the lowest point anyway thats why tire size is more important that along with wide and low. flatbellys and different crossmembers will help with that center area if you dont want to get high centered!

Just IMO

Heres before way to tall and skinny! Did do well but felt way to sketchy

Now! Could maybe be dropped a bit more but I like it
Old 09-23-2008, 02:31 PM

that 90s 4runner would have benefited with a full width sas and 3inch springs it would have made that thing more stable
Old 09-23-2008, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by bigarms23
that 90s 4runner would have benefited with a full width sas and 3inch springs it would have made that thing more stable
I agree I should have gone 60's to begin with and lower lift for sure. I took a leaf out of my rear pack and almost took two. Im gonna move the front forward and maybe take spring out too! the weight of the 4.3 compared to the 3.0 and 3.4 dropped my front which im happy about.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:16 PM

i am sooo glad to hear people with drive knowledge and build experience
knock too high rigs.....i am sooo sick and tired of seeing little dinky paws under a way jacked up rig...first it looks mass stoopid,second the basic physics of it all says it is non-proportional and therfore inherently unstable,third it takes the ignorance that exsists in the head of the owner and makes the rig itself a kinda monument or statue that is dedicated to idiocy....really it is a form of mental pollution when we are forced to see it..hehe....and i actually approve of lifting up from stock too so im not a stocky spock spook or nuttin..
Old 09-23-2008, 05:49 PM

i wouldn't blame that 4runners inadiqacies on height, but the setup and tuning i have seen trucks much higher be just fine but they didn't have 35's and better tuned shocks and springs!

I cant tell exactly but i would bet my truck is that high or so but i have stiffer shocks that i tuned and 40's so it dosent look high at all but the frame sits at 27.5"! it is more about the aspect ratio of width to height.

BTW fillsrunner4, how much did your truck drop with the 4.3 i am swapping a buick 225 in and have been told it isn't really any heavier than the 22r that is in there. sorry for the tangent......but kind of relavant.....

that driving style is what scared me the most!!
Old 09-23-2008, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by ryantowry_81
BTW fillsrunner4, how much did your truck drop with the 4.3 i am swapping a buick 225 in and have been told it isn't really any heavier than the 22r that is in there. sorry for the tangent......but kind of relavant.....
Considering I took an overload leaf out of the back with the 3.4 it was still high in the front but with the 4.3 it is now pretty much even. I would say it dropped about an inch compared to when I had my 3.4 in it. I didnt ever really measure so I cant give you any exacts. If your 225 does wheigh about the same I cant see it dropping the front more than and inch
Old 09-23-2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
Considering I took an overload leaf out of the back with the 3.4 it was still high in the front but with the 4.3 it is now pretty much even. I would say it dropped about an inch compared to when I had my 3.4 in it. I didnt ever really measure so I cant give you any exacts. If your 225 does wheigh about the same I cant see it dropping the front more than and inch
Why dear god did you pull the 3.4 for the 4.3...Im asking seriously.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:11 PM

i have seen this alot up here becasue toyota parts are $$$$ and the 4.3 is a really good motor!!!! i personally have one in my fullsize chevy parts runner that has 285K on it without a rebuild and it still gets 20 MPG in a 5500 LB truck

Quote:"Considering I took an overload leaf out of the back with the 3.4 it was still high in the front but with the 4.3 it is now pretty much even. I would say it dropped about an inch compared to when I had my 3.4 in it. I didnt ever really measure so I cant give you any exacts. If your 225 does wheigh about the same I cant see it dropping the front more than and inch"

I know the 225 has an estimated weight of 415 Lbs and the 4.3 is 445, you know what the 3.4 is?
Old 09-23-2008, 06:13 PM

Electrical BS I could go on forever on why! its all in my build threads if you really want to know.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by ryantowry_81
i have seen this alot up here becasue toyota parts are $$$$ and the 4.3 is a really good motor!!!! i personally have one in my fullsize chevy parts runner that has 285K on it without a rebuild and it still gets 20 MPG in a 5500 LB truck

Quote:"Considering I took an overload leaf out of the back with the 3.4 it was still high in the front but with the 4.3 it is now pretty much even. I would say it dropped about an inch compared to when I had my 3.4 in it. I didnt ever really measure so I cant give you any exacts. If your 225 does wheigh about the same I cant see it dropping the front more than and inch"

I know the 225 has an estimated weight of 415 Lbs and the 4.3 is 445, you know what the 3.4 is?

I wish I did the 4.3 and never touched the 3.4 if I could go back and do it again with all the money I would have saved it would have already been supercharged and caged. The 3.4 is a great motor but for my sistuation and what im building my rig for there was no better choice than a cheap, reliable, powerfull motor!

and sorry no I dont know the weight of the 3.4 but I do know its on here somewere becuase I think I say a thread about the topic!

My friend could lift the loaded block I know that much
Old 09-23-2008, 06:22 PM

was your friend igor?

Quick Reply: example of too much lift