86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Driveshaft/T-case bolt pattern problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driveshaft/T-case bolt pattern problems

This site has been an indispensable resource for me for some time now but I just ran into a problem that I haven't seen anyone mention yet so I have to ask my first question.

I'm doing a 3.0 to 3.4 swap into an 88 pickup. Once the engine was out I realized I really opened up a can of worms and this engine swap kinda turned into a full rebuild from the frame up. First I realized the tranny was pretty beat, so I got a lower mileage one w/ t-case that came out of a 94 3.0. I thought that should be the same as my old one.

I have now gotten everything replaced or rebuilt and all back on the truck and the new engine and tranny installed. Then got new u-joints in the drive shaft, then went to install it and the bolt pattern for the drive shaft is different on the back of the transfer case than on my old one.

Does anybody know why this is? The bolts on the newer one are slighty closer together. Did that change at some point? I thought all 5 spds should be the same that came behind any 3.0.

Is my best bet just to find a different driveshaft that will fit this bolt pattern? I really don't want to pull the tranny or anything again since I finally got it all bolted up and everything installed on it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any input any of you might have.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can you swap the ends of the driveshaft from old to new sometimes adapter u-joints are available.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, well I finally got the bolt loose that holds the flange to the t-case. so I should be able to just swap the one over from my old t-case.

But when I pulled the one off the new(old) t-case this seal sorta fell out. It looks like it is just disintegrated, probably from sitting for a while, but the one out of my beat up(but still functioning) t-case didn't have anything like that. The oil retention seal is in good condition and I looked at all the schematics and thats all it shows for seals.

Does anybody know what seal this is? and can I just forget about it? I cleaned everything up and bolted it in. I found someone who wrote that the 30mm nut should be 87 ft lbs so I torqued it to that but haven't ben able to confirm that that is the proper torque spec. It seems like it should be tighter, but unless somebody can tell me different about that weird soft fragment of a seal or the torque spec on that 30mm nut I guess i'm just going to throw in the drive shaft and cross my fingers.

Thanks again for any advice.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:39 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Some time in the past someone put on a different flange who can say why.

you did stake the nut after torquing ??

Not sure where that piece of a seal was from.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:56 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
just re drill the flange .. swat I did ..

have no idea about the seal