86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Drivers side Timing guide

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 07:55 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 87LVRunner
Interesting that you all say that the guides should be tight. When I took my engine apart, the guides have a small amount of play in them to allow for self adjustment. When pulling the bolts off that hold them on, you can see that the bolts are smooth so you cannot over tighten and not allow play. This was the same on my 85 truck, 85 Runner, and this 87 Runner. When I put the new guides on and tightened the bolts down, the guides still move a little. Hmmm...
Yeah, I don't know what to tell you on that. The last kit I put in, the guides were on snug, as I recall. I'm getting to close to a valve check, so I'll have to look for that play/"self-adjustment". Of course, I have engnbldr's steel guide kit in, so don't know if that will make a difference. I didn't pay enough attention to the periods I had an OEM kit in to notice play. As well, I would have NEVER noticed play on teardowns because last two R/R's the TC assembly was destroyed. First time, the chain just wore into the cover....right around 125k. Last time, the head was toast at a mere 80k or 90k.

As far as overtightening, there is a shank that stops the bolt from going so far in. However, overtightening could snap one of them puppies easily enough. That's a nightmare, if you're unprepared and inexperienced.

Furthermore, I have a friend with an '86 22r in his pick up who says he's never replaced the TC, either. Well over 100k miles on it. No noise. I've checked it myself. Who knows?

Last edited by thook; 12-23-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by 89whitetoyota
If the crank and the cam are in the same position when you take the old timing sh_it off, then just match the bright colored timing links on the chain with the dots on the top and lower sprokets and put the guides, do you still need to time the motor? I mean i know the distributor will come out, but I could prolly mark that, I just dont want to have to do the TDC if I dont have to.
Do it however you like, but if the crank and cam should move out of alignment even one tooth during installation.......for some reason.......how will you know? It's not like it's a difficult task to align everything at TDC on the compression stroke. It's actually a real nice safety measure considering what could happen.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What happens if you pull the cam sprocket and the timing mark is at the bottom? ... no way to easily line up the mark... yeah, I guess you could hang the crank sprocket and chain from the cam sprocket and rotate things around until they line up with the cam and crank keyways, drop it down through the head and hope the crank sprocket doesn't hang up or fall out, but if you take it apart with the mark on the cam sprocket at ~12:00, it's that much easier to put back together.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:15 AM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
Do it however you like, but if the crank and cam should move out of alignment even one tooth during installation.......for some reason.......how will you know? It's not like it's a difficult task to align everything at TDC on the compression stroke. It's actually a real nice safety measure considering what could happen.
I see what you mean now. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:27 AM

To clarify a little, being off one tooth isn't disastrous in terms of valve collision, but it will be impossible to set ignition timing. In which case, you will then have to take everything apart once again to correct it. Bummer that will be.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:12 AM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
To clarify a little, being off one tooth isn't disastrous in terms of valve collision, but it will be impossible to set ignition timing. In which case, you will then have to take everything apart once again to correct it. Bummer that will be.

I was thinking, for some odd dumb ass reason, that I could just put the timing links on the chain, on the timing marks on the sprokets in the position they were in once the old one came off, but the cam sproket and crank arent the same size so they wont be in sync. Dumb question on my part I should have thought about it a little more. I will just set the dots both at 12 o'clock on TDC and re time it. Better to be safe, than sorry.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 87LVRunner
Interesting that you all say that the guides should be tight. When I took my engine apart, the guides have a small amount of play in them to allow for self adjustment. When pulling the bolts off that hold them on, you can see that the bolts are smooth so you cannot over tighten and not allow play. This was the same on my 85 truck, 85 Runner, and this 87 Runner. When I put the new guides on and tightened the bolts down, the guides still move a little. Hmmm...
If I recall correctly, the stock bolts are shouldered bolts that allow the stock plastic guide to float around a little. In the engnbldr kit with the steel guide, they tell you to not reuse them and to get new bolts but if everyone else is like I am, they just reused them and snugged them down on the steel guide and didn't lose sleep on it. The steel guide with the stock bolts will not float around at all. It snugs down nicely.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:28 AM

Shouldered.......that's what I meant.

Remember to use loctite. Or, thread tape works, too.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by 89whitetoyota
I was thinking, for some odd dumb ass reason, that I could just put the timing links on the chain, on the timing marks on the sprokets in the position they were in once the old one came off, but the cam sproket and crank arent the same size so they wont be in sync. Dumb question on my part I should have thought about it a little more. I will just set the dots both at 12 o'clock on TDC and re time it. Better to be safe, than sorry.
No need to negate your thinking. But, it's not really the size that's the determining factor here. Theoretically, they could be the same size, but given the nature of the business at hand, the sprockets/gears do have a tendency to move while yer in there tinkering. You've got everything no longer linked together at that point. It's just good to have the reference. So, yes......better safe than sorry.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, I'm not sure anymore . I know when I did the guides on my 91, they were tight- didn't float around at all. I noticed that the shoulder kept the bolts from going all the way in and breaking the plastic guide mount though.