Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Does anybody know this dude

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do know the differences, so I won't be retracting it But I wasn't very clear on what I meant... I meant less stress as far as the s/c being an easy, commonly installed part, where everything needed is available as a kit. A properly working turbo setup would involve lots of custom work. Which would be great, though, if you could do it! Hopefully you can, and hopefully you post pics

There's one guy on here with a turbo'd Runner, but it's a 2.7, and I forget his username.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Randomness
I do know the differences, so I won't be retracting it But I wasn't very clear on what I meant... I meant less stress as far as the s/c being an easy, commonly installed part, where everything needed is available as a kit. A properly working turbo setup would involve lots of custom work. Which would be great, though, if you could do it! Hopefully you can, and hopefully you post pics

There's one guy on here with a turbo'd Runner, but it's a 2.7, and I forget his username.

ahh my bad I see what you mean. Yes TC is much more of a custom job (but more fun I might add!!). I will post some pics once I start for sure!
Old 11-30-2005, 03:18 AM

I still wanna see pics of this twin turbo 3.0. Any chance of getting some Busjack?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:20 PM

sounds like a fable to me.

Any body that lives in CA knows that driving a seriously moded vehicle is a pain. This alleged ride would never be street legal in any other trim than stock. The days of finding a "good smog guy" are over. CARB is strict and doing a mod such as this would not be feasable in CA at least.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:35 PM

Fable???

I know the Fable and have worked at the same fire station with this Alleged Fable and his 4Runner for the last 4 years, yes he does exist and so does his Alleged 4Runner. Besides working fire he also owns a race team and a rice rocket speed shop on the side, with more than a few friends in the industry that do smog. Also, seriously, have ya even seen some of the cars on the streets now, seriously modded and street legal are a complete understatement when ya have little ricers pullin' 7's & 8's in the quarter mile. When you work 10, 24's a month you have all kinds of extra time to think crap up and build it.

And no, I'm not tellin' ya who he is, but he is a member of this board.

RBMC
Old 11-30-2005, 11:53 PM

You might want to retract that... There is no S/C for the 3.0, so anyone attempting to put one on will be doing fully custom work.

I know of two turbo'd 3.0's. One running stock headgaskets @ 11lbs of boost w/ no problem. Custom? Yes. But less custom than an S/C.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rockota
You might want to retract that... There is no S/C for the 3.0, so anyone attempting to put one on will be doing fully custom work.
No, Ryan's okay there... Ryan made that statement while talking to Steve who is talking about doing this work on the 3.4L in his 98 runner.

Steve... Checkout this thread for a new turbo solution for the 3.4:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/feeler-3-4l-turbo-manifold-group-buy-72431/
Old 12-01-2005, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by midiwall
No, Ryan's okay there... Ryan made that statement while talking to Steve who is talking about doing this work on the 3.4L in his 98 runner.
Ah... Got it. It appeared he was talking about the 3.0. My bad.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is a very interesting thread. I've seen some pics of a 3VZ-E with a single turbo on the drivers side but it wasn't very pretty. The guy was near Tulsa and he was selling it.

There has to be ways to pass the smog checks, look at TRDOLMAN, he's running with no cats in a 04 taco, living in Ca.

The engine was probably made for a show like the our SEMA show.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Cool

Originally Posted by rbmc
And no, I'm not tellin' ya who he is, but he is a member of this board.
And why not? It's not like you're witholding the whereabouts of a serial killer or know that Elvis is really alive and well! He's just a member of the message board... just like everyone else.

It's obvious that some of the people would like to ask him some questions about his setup. Since you won't produce his screen name, maybe you can relay a message to him. Ask him to jump on this thread and pipe in so people can chat directly with him and get some advice. It's better than people spending days guessing what he did and how he did it.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

Lets call in the YotaTech Investigative team!
Old 12-01-2005, 12:54 PM

Not tellin'

I showed him this thread and he read through it this morning when he came in to work and he busted out laughing, Then he told me I better sleep with one eye open if I gave up his screen name, he said that he's got a lot on his plate right now and that he would post some info on here at a later date, but he does'nt have any extra time right now with a set of newborn twins at home.
Anyhow, when he read through this thread, he said that busjack may have misunderstood when he told him what engine it was, maybe because he told him that it was a 3.0, busjack assumed that he meant 3VZE..? He said, it is a 3.0 that is similar to the 3VZE, but it's not a 3VZE and also he said he didn't get it from a friend who works at Toyota in Japan, he got it from a friend who works at Yamaha in Japan. He said it may look like the 4Runner V6 hidden under all the crap, but it's a Toyota racing engine and though it looks close to the 4Runner, it's quite different.
He said it's a 3.0 V6 with 24V and has nearly all the specs of the Camry 3.0 24V 3VZ-FE in every way, except for a few things, the intake plenum is a little bigger and faces the same as the stock 4Runner does, it uses a different ECU and he's Bullet-Proofed the heads.
Also, he just said if I give him up, he wants his engine and all the parts back from his 4Runner that he gave me "for free". So for that reason alone, I'm Not Tellin'.

RBMC
Old 12-01-2005, 01:04 PM

it's ok, ill find out who it is... YTI (Yota Tech Investigator) Racer944 reporting for duty...
Old 12-01-2005, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

why is he so hesitant to say who he is?
Old 12-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey where is this truck usually parked, say between the hours of 2-4 am?
Old 12-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rbmc
I showed him this thread and he read through it this morning when he came in to work and he busted out laughing, Then he told me I better sleep with one eye open if I gave up his screen name, he said that he's got a lot on his plate right now and that he would post some info on here at a later date, but he does'nt have any extra time right now with a set of newborn twins at home.
Also, he just said if I give him up, he wants his engine and all the parts back from his 4Runner that he gave me "for free". So for that reason alone, I'm Not Tellin'.

RBMC

What a drama queen! OMG, if they know who I am, I will have posts to answer to and .... omg... pm's in my inbox!!! Oh Gaaawwwdd!!

He knows yotatech is a voluntary message board right? You can choose to *not* answer pm's, and even... wait for it... not reply to posts.

I didn't think asking who the guy is was such a big deal.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:40 AM

There is more stress on the driveline from turbocharging as opposed to supercharging. Turbo charged cars on the strip have to tune their suspension differently because a turbo comes on so hard that it shocks the drivetrain. Turbo have a lag that, as it disappears, delivers a violent dose of power. On a supercharged car the power band is more linear and comes on in a more controlled manner. Ken Duttweiler built a GNX that was the scourge of the strips in the 80's and he called it the most violent ride of his life. Drive a turbo 6 ( I had a Turbo Type T) and then drive a Supercharged 6 ( I had a SuperCoupe) and you will see that the turbo car is like driving a naturally aspirated 6 until the turbo spools up. A supercharged 6 feels like you are driving a big block no matter the RPM (no lag with a supercharger).
Old 12-06-2005, 09:04 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GreeneHoosier
There is more stress on the driveline from turbocharging as opposed to supercharging. Turbo charged cars on the strip have to tune their suspension differently because a turbo comes on so hard that it shocks the drivetrain. Turbo have a lag that, as it disappears, delivers a violent dose of power. On a supercharged car the power band is more linear and comes on in a more controlled manner. Ken Duttweiler built a GNX that was the scourge of the strips in the 80's and he called it the most violent ride of his life. Drive a turbo 6 ( I had a Turbo Type T) and then drive a Supercharged 6 ( I had a SuperCoupe) and you will see that the turbo car is like driving a naturally aspirated 6 until the turbo spools up. A supercharged 6 feels like you are driving a big block no matter the RPM (no lag with a supercharger).
Huh? PEOPLE TURBO AND SUPER ARE EXACTLY THE SAME THING, JUST A DIFFERENT WAY TO DRIVE THE COMPRESSOR! More air = can burn more fuel = more power. Was the boost the same in the turbo and supercharged cars you describe? Any improperly set up forced induction system will result in more stress on the car.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:25 AM

They are not the same. A turbo's lag makes it different. A turbo goes from no boost to all boost in a very short time (varies with the turbo). A supercharger builds power from idle all through the powerband. Look at the torque curve for a supercharged car versus a turbocharged car. A turbo car has a very peaky curve while a supercharged car builds a gradually rising curve. A belt driven compressor (Supercharger)has a lineal drive while an exhaust driven compressor is exponential. Read Corky Bells book. It has been on my book shelf since the Mid 90's when I built my Turbo/EFI/Tube chassis Gremlin. Fun car.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TC--In theory you are correct but the two have completely different driving dynamics. A supercharger has no lag since it's connected to the crankshaft, so power is instant and you get that big displacement feel. On the other hand, I have driven many supercharged vehicles and not one of them had the top end that my turbocharged Supra has. It has turbo lag and takes off as slow as a naturally aspirated vehicle (maybe even slower due to the lower compression ratio), but after 2000 RPMs in first gear, there is no lag in the other gears and it pulls to 6900 RPMs so fast that I often hit the rev limiter in the first three gears. Even the DOHC 24 valve 3.4 V6 with a supercharger runs out of breath big-time on the top end.

If I had a 3vz-e I would be doing everything in my power to get 24 valve heads installed and ditch that POS flapper door AFM for a hotwire MAF. The valve port design and the AFM are the biggest restrictions, IMHO. Toyota bottom-ends are stout, so no worries there.

Last edited by paddlenbike; 12-06-2005 at 09:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Does anybody know this dude