Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

did hg now 3.0 wont start help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just casue the fuel comes out does not mean its firing the injectors.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:34 PM

Also check your vacuum line to see if you have mistaking them in places. If you can take some picture of your vacuum around the engine area it might of help to see if you have gotten them correctly or wrong.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i didnt know that if i put some vaccume line back incorrect it would affect the starting of the vehicle? On saturday i am gonna try what you said i have to weld up the exhaust i got the downey headers and crossover and a dynomax exhaust. i will look in the tech service buliten and see where the vacume lines should go. and how do i know if the injector is getting fuel? i pulled the plugs and they smelled like gas.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
If you've dumped a bunch of fuel in it, I DO NOT recommend hooking up the O2 sensor; it could ruin it. The O2 doesn't read until the engine heats up, anyway.

Are you sure you got your valve timing correct?
Unless it's a heated o2, but I doubt that being unhooked would keep it from starting. Might run rich though.

Last edited by JEBSR5; 04-26-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:59 AM

o.k i tried to put the o2 sensor in but i have a new exhaust and the old o2 wont bolt up, it hasa 2 bolt flange its not a screw in type o2. after trying to start it again i decided to re-do the timing belt it seemed to be off a tooth on both cams it was a little to the passenger side. so after messing with the timing belt again i got the driver side lined up perfect but the pasenger side is 1/2 a tooth to the driver side and i cant seem to get it perfect. does this matter? well i tried to start it and it kind of fired up and died. I mashed the gas and held it to the floor and it fired up and ran for about 3 seconds (very rough) then died. i tried to start again and no go, then held the pedal to the floor and the same thing it ran rough for about 3 seconds and died. What am i doing wrong? please help!!!!!!!!!!! anyone in the orange county ny area that can help i would be greatful.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:54 AM

any more sugestions guys?
Old 05-01-2007, 04:34 AM

Did you pull the 15am fuse and reset the ecm? Have to wait like 1 minute or so. mine was doing exactly the same thing. Also how can it be 1 tooth off. My belt came with little lines on them and they hit the timing marks perfect. Goodyear gator from Autozone.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:58 AM

i got my belt from ted at engnbdlr and it has no marks. Man it would make it so easy if it had marks. i did no tpull the fuse but i had the battery off for a whole day. right now the whole thing is apart right now and i am trying to do the timing belt.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:10 AM

YO,
YOU HAVE PLUGGED THE FUEL RAIL, PRESSURE REGULATOR RETURN LINE INTO THE INTAKE VACUUM PORT! ASK ME HOW I KNOW. EASY MISTAKE TO MAKE WITH ALL THOSE LINES AND UNMARKED LINES UNDER THE INTAKE. I SIPHONED OVER A QUART OF GAS OUT OF MY INTAKE PLUMBING. CANISTER PORT AND THAT RETURN GO TO BOTH OF THE LINES FROM THE TANK. FIX THIS AND IT WILL START.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:20 PM

Yeah i did put that fuel line in the wrong spot but i put it to the vacume line that goes to the bottom of the power steering pump. it built up pressure and blew off and i had fuel all over the ground. do u think i got fuel into the intake, if so how?
Old 05-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

As a confirmed worry-wart.... it amazes me that no one has had a serious fire as result of making a mistake like that. Maybe its just me.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:39 AM

well i am sure if the D.E.C saw the gas go on the ground they would fine me. But i am not going to go and tell them i just put some speedy dry on it and soaked it up. And you mean to tell me you have never spilled any gas or antifreeze before? Mistakes happen, if they do do your best to clean it up and try no to let it happen again. And i really dont think 4-6 ounces of gas on the ground is horrible its not like the exxon ordeal.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by saleen9973
well i am sure if the D.E.C saw the gas go on the ground they would fine me. But i am not going to go and tell them i just put some speedy dry on it and soaked it up. And you mean to tell me you have never spilled any gas or antifreeze before? Mistakes happen, if they do do your best to clean it up and try no to let it happen again. And i really dont think 4-6 ounces of gas on the ground is horrible its not like the exxon ordeal.
If you are referring to my comment on the fire hazard potential, I did not mean it as an environmental concern, but as a potential personal loss to your property.

I was just visualizing routing gas lines incorrectly as a potential fire hazard to your own vehicle. I could be wrong... and apparently am.

Of course mistakes happen. Its just that some mistakes are much more costly that others. Dumping a fuel return line into the intake... I'd think that could be dangerous. I'd not make a mistake like that... just *because* I'm so careful with respect to gasoline.

But as I said, I worry more than most. One of the reasons I tend to drive a diesel when ever I can is for just that reason.. much harder to ignite.

No criticism intended.... just thinking out loud.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:48 AM

sorry i misunderstood
Old 05-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

sorry i misunderstood

Nada problemo!!
Old 05-02-2007, 06:17 PM

i got my belt from ted at engnbdlr and it has no marks. Man it would make it so easy if it had marks. i did no tpull the fuse but i had the battery off for a whole day. right now the whole thing is apart right now and i am trying to do the timing belt.
Yeah I wasted my 30 bucks on that belt also. I set there with the one from auto zone trying to match the marks and it was a real pain by myself. I just said the hell with it and used the auto zone one. I may contact enginbuilder and get my money back on that piece of crap. With out marks its almost impossible to get it right if you have never done one before.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You really don't need the marks.

Just make sure both cam sprockets line up with their marks, the the crank sprocket lines up with it's mark.

Rotate the engine at least two times clockwise. If all three sprockets do not line back up, then you have missed a tooth. Reset the belt and try again.

I've never had belts with marks and it has worked out just fine.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:47 AM

I think i am just a dumb a$$ because i have tried to redo the timing belt at least 12 times now. but every time i have only taken the belt off the cam gears not the crank sproket. maybe i need to take it off the crank sproket to get it right.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:23 AM

Did you remove the crank timming belt pulley? If yes what groove did you use to realign it when you put it back on. If you aligned the keyway groove with the timming mark on the block, then your timming is off and it will try to start and stumble and sputter like it is nearly going to start.

There should be a small notched tooth just to the side of the keyway in the geared pulley. It is this notch that you must align with the opposite timming mark on the block. The notch is normally on the back side of the geared pulley. Easy to miss and confusing especially if you used something like Chiltons to do the work.

You said that you got it to fire up for 3 seconds. That sounds like the MAF plug is not connected or there is an air intake leak after the MAF. It will not run without the MAF plugged in and the intake installed from the MAF to the manifold.

Last edited by Kutter; 05-03-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:12 PM

you know what now that you said that about the crank sproket i cant remember if i lined it up the way you stated. i mean i remember the sproket going on a groove but i cant remember if i had it on right. Can it go on 2 different ways? i guess on saturday i will be tearing that down. thanks i will let you guys know.

Quick Reply: did hg now 3.0 wont start help!!!!!