Sponsored by: DashLynx

Desel engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Desel engines

hiya guys/gals,
a couple of questions for you all,
1: would any of you guys/gals be intrested in the 2.4td,3.0 and 3.0td engines from the hilux/surfs european/jap import trucks?
the reason being is i can get hold of a lot of these engines new and used.

2:what sort of cost are these engines over there in the states?
reason being on this it might be a cheaper way of putting diesel into your 4 runners than the petrol engines you guys have got if i ship them over to you.

if you guys have any input or would be intrested please get in touch, if there is a lot of intrest ill get the ball rolling and start getting them shipped over.

thanks in advance craig.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:08 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
im pretty sure that there would be a TON of people interested if the price is right...

and the Hilux diesel motors are virtually nonexistant in the U.S.

at least, ive never heard of one...
Old 01-03-2009, 10:15 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Never seen a diesel either, parts for those are impossible to come by from what I have heard...

Old 01-03-2009, 11:20 AM

if you guys are intrested, i can source the parts aswell if you need them, over here in the uk parts are well cheap for the hilux/4runner. on the engine side i would put the looms and ancillersys in so its ready to go out the crate for you all.
if intrested put a post up on here and let me know.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:17 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
whats an ancillersys?

and whats the price?
Old 01-03-2009, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how hard is it to swap a 3vze with a diesel?
Old 01-03-2009, 01:00 PM

All the diesel swap info you could ever want!

http://toyotadiesel.com/forums/index.php

As far as shipping some engines over here, you would be my hero! The fun part is the legality/paperwork/backwards ass views of diesel engines by the EPA and Customs.

But if you could get an engine, transmission, driveshafts, wiring harness, and all auxiliaries packaged up and shipped, I would gladly buy it.

Best setup would be to ship entire Front-Clips over, but thats a whole other deal altogether as far as import/export goes
Old 01-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by space-junk
whats an ancillersys?
ancillersys = ancilarys

The other junk on the engine like power steering pump/alternator/ac compressor/engine ecu/diesel fuel pump and so on that kind of stuff...

Sabreuk if you can export this stuff over you will have a lot of friends here... as to your price info request the last diesel I saw available over here at a JDM engine import shop was listed for $3500.00CDN for a 3.0TD with a 5spd trans/4wdtranscase and ecu/harness and about 90,000km on engine reported [if you trust that or not].
There is a shop down in TX [around Galveston I think] that does [or did] swaps by importing front clips from japan, if you can find them again they might be interested in another source of engines.

Thanks very much for offering Craig and welcome to the family.

Last edited by aviator; 01-03-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by loudboy
All the diesel swap info you could ever want!

http://toyotadiesel.com/forums/index.php
Sweet! Its all hypothetical right now for me. But I'm getting kind of tired of my 3vze
Old 01-03-2009, 01:54 PM

That'd be nice in my pickup, I'd be interested.

The last 3.0td I saw for sale was $3199 CDN.

Last edited by AP4CHE; 01-03-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by dieselloco427
Sweet! Its all hypothetical right now for me. But I'm getting kind of tired of my 3vze
New engine/tranny. Diesel tranny won't mount to the 3vze.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I HAVE A 2.4 2LTE can you ship me parts!!!
aslo get the 3.0 its a better engine but the 2.4 is GRERAT TOO!!
Old 01-03-2009, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by aviator

Thanks very much for offering Craig and welcome to the family.
your welcome mate, and thanks for the welcome, ive been registered for a couple of months now.

on the engine stuff yes id supply everything you need to get it on the road. on legality as far a i know its the egr stuff that i need to look at, a common thing n the diesel engines over here are to block off the egr valves.this is done so they run cooler and slighty better with them blocked, which is usualy just a blanking plate behind the egr valve.
the 3.0td is the engine to go for as it has some proper balls about it i have the 2.4 but mine is chipped to 150bhp from the standard 97bhp. and it does make hell of a difference. but given the choice id go for the 3.0td.

on the ancillary side everything will be there so you can get it in and drive it straight away.

on price then the cheapest you guys have come across is around the $3000 mark.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:34 PM

Would we have a source for transmissions or would they bolt up to any we can find here?
Old 01-03-2009, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by bigt
I HAVE A 2.4 2LTE can you ship me parts!!!
aslo get the 3.0 its a better engine but the 2.4 is GRERAT TOO!!
hiya mate i could ship you parts over, what do you need?
i also have the 2.4 lte engine but its chipped and mine pulls like a freight train, its also had a few other things done to her like the boost has been turned up slightly and the disel pump has been tuned up aswell all easy mods let me know if you want any help on the 2.4 in particular on tuning and stuff mate.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:39 PM

I swapped the 3.0 TD into my 92 pickup in place of the 3vze. Works great and lots more power and much better mileage. I'd be extremely interested in getting a few parts when I would need them as well as I would love to have the diesel 5 speed tranny, clutch and flywheel assembly. Basically need everything to make my 1kz-te auto to a 5 speed. The hardest thing for me to find in North America is the stupid thermostat believe it or not. Can't find one at all.

As for swapping the motors there are quite a few people now who have done the swaps. There is a guy who will change your motor wiring harness so that you can plug the computer into the dash harness and not have to take the dash out at all. For me the wiring was the hardest bit as no one was doing the harnesses yet. I did mine a bit over a year ago. Definately getting the wiring harness done up is the way to go. Unless you are electrical savvy.

The motor runs great. Mine has about 330000kms on it right now and runs like a top. Burns next to no oil and has all the power I could want. I intercooled it as well. Great motors.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by AP4CHE
Would we have a source for transmissions or would they bolt up to any we can find here?
not sure on the trannys you guys use mate, if needed i could put that in aswell but let me know before i try and ship anything over.
my tranny is the auto and is designation is A340f and the lower auto box is the A340E or A340H
the manual boxes are R150F and G58
so these are the boxes we use on our hilux/surfs if these are different to your boxes then id have to put the gearboxes in aswell which isnt a problem.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:55 PM

The 1kz-te uses the A343F tranny. Would almost need the tranny shipped with it as the computer controls the tranny and the motor in the same box. And would need all the linkages and stuff. The 1kz-te 5 speed also has a different 1st gear. But most importantly we would need the bellhousing and clutch and slave cyl. Things like those we can't get here.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by 82yota
The hardest thing for me to find in North America is the stupid thermostat believe it or not. Can't find one at all.
just had a look mate and the genuine toyota thermostat for your engine is £15.50 which is around $31 with the exchange rate at the mine plus postage. thats brand new.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by 82yota
The 1kz-te uses the A343F tranny. Would almost need the tranny shipped with it as the computer controls the tranny and the motor in the same box. And would need all the linkages and stuff. The 1kz-te 5 speed also has a different 1st gear. But most importantly we would need the bellhousing and clutch and slave cyl. Things like those we can't get here.
ok mate no probs, if you all can make a list of stuff you think you need and ill get to work on it and get the prices posted asap for you.

i just like to say this isnt a buisness i am running but have a good supply of parts from sources over here in the uk. if its cheaper for you guys then game on.

Quick Reply: Desel engines