86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cruise Control on a 22R

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 09:38 PM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Cruise Control on a 22R

I am going to put cruise control onto my '87, carb'd 22R. I know it exists on EFI models but I can't find anything on the 22R, if it existed.

If it wasn't a thing on the 22R it's going to be.

I want to have the original controls for the system, i.e. The "cruise" button on the dash. I want to know if there is any way to do this, like just installing parts and whatnot, or if I'm going to have to engineer this.

Did the '87 have a stick on the tree to control the system as well as the "cruise" button in the popout on the dash, or just the button? I'm not all that interested in having the extra controls on the stick, just the button that turns it on and off. I'll hit the button when I get to speed, and turn it off by either hitting the button, the brake, or clutch pedal.

Anybody have images of every part I'm gonna need? and any suggestions?
Old 04-20-2017, 10:30 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Hard to find early cruise parts. My '87 SR5 runner has main button on dash and faster-slower on wiper stalk. I'm lucky mine still works, most don't It is EFI though, not carb.

Wanna good aftermarket go Rostra with electric servo, not vacuum. Good stuff but not cheap.

Small, lower power engines like 22r usually need considerable throttle at cruising speed, hence little vacuum is available to pull the cable.

How's your smoke-burner project goin?? I won't ask about the amphibious project.

Last edited by millball; 04-20-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:45 PM

The project is slow. The engine I'm to use for it needs an immediate rebuild. The stock 22R is likely to not have enough compression to make good power, so I'm thinking of a 20R-22R hybrid, but that compensates my variability in fuels though. I need to run some numbers and test my CO and methane percentages produced by my design. It's all going slow building the rig, mostly due to my inacess to a powerful enough welder. But it's coming along. I've tested the reactor chamber itself so far, it performs good.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you do a lot of highway driving on flat roads? If so, cruise would work. If not? I"ve got cruise and can count on my hands the number of times I've used it. Nice feature but I don't seem to use it much.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:58 PM

I live in New Mexico, so yes. A lot.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've daydreamed about using an additional throttle cable hooked up to a lever similar to a parking brake. Like you get it in 5th and pull the lever, and it holds the throttle where your pedal would have it. I'd want to have a release connected to the brake pedal in case you want to stop quick without having your rpms skyrocket. I'm actually not sure this is the best idea but like I said, I just daydream about stuff and this is one idea I've pondered. Interested to see what you come up with it.