86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clutch Pedal HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Pedal HELP

Alright, so here it goes... I searched and searched and apparently no one else has had this problem.

Rig:
1995 4Runner
3.0V6
5 Spd Manual

So my clutch pedal (disengagement wise) has progressively moved towards the floor to the point now that to shift the pedal is pretty much jammed to the floorboard whenever I need to shift, and it is still difficult to downshift.

It is also making a strange creaking sound when the pedal is actuated, which led me to believe that the re-welded clutch bracket had failed again.

I had a mechanic get under there and check it out. It is NEITHER the clutch adjustment (in spec) NOR the bracket (bracket is solid with zero movement). He said the clutch feels much stiffer than it should... I had the clutch replaced about 30k miles ago and the pedal disengaged perfectly... It still shifts now, but I've had to remove the rubber liner and move the rug floormat out of the way so thatI can push the pedal into the disengagement zone.

Any suggestions as to what this could be?

Thanks,
Noble
Old 11-20-2012, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch help

sounds like the pedal bracket broke.push pedal down (with truck off)use pry bar wedged between seat and clutch pedal and really look hard for crack in bracket.had it happen to me.Hard to see unless you get up in there.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd be concerned about damage to clutch springs or something else inside the bell housing. There's a small weep hole at the bottom of the tranny for oil to leak if a seal fails. Is it possible to get one of those tiny cameras in there (like you use to check inside a cylinder thru the spark plug hole). If everything above that works & the slave cylinder is getting good movement, that would be my first guess.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:38 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I would be looking at the slave cylinder and master cylinder. This takes two people to do.

If this mechanic has not seen the clutch bracket failure he might not have known what to look for.

What kind of clutch??

If your hard on the clutch maybe it is just that worn all ready
Old 11-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
inspect for any leaks. My soft line went and the pedal would need to be right to the floor so you could shift at all
Old 11-30-2012, 12:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I 2nd the clutch pedal bracket.
My rig was doing the same thing when it broke. I thought for sure it was tranny related but turns out the weld broke on the clutch pedal bracket.

Apparently it's pretty common but not so easy to spot. The weld on mine broke on the top and I could only see it when I pulled the bracket out.

Seriously, check that first before tearing apart your rig.

Ooops, just re-read your post and see you already checked it....
Still, the creaking you describe makes me wonder if it might be worth pulling the bracket to check again...

Last edited by Innocent Fool; 11-30-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Other things to try seeing as how you're sure it's not the pedal bracket:

-Bleed the clutch. If you have any air in there, you won't be able to fully dis-engage the clutch.

-Replace the master and slave cylinders. They're cheap, and if the seals are starting to fail internally, then they won't work properly.

-Drop the transmission, and inspect the clutch. It's a little bit of a pain to do, but if you've exhausted the other options, then this is the next logical step. If your clutch disk is binding on the splines on the transmission input shaft, it can stick in its engagement position making it difficult to dis-engage (of course, if this is something that has slowly crept up on you, this probably isn't the problem). Cleaning the splines and applying a SMALL amount of grease to ensure proper movement can help. You can also inspect the clutch fork for cracks as well. If you're gone this far, you might as well replace the whole assembly though.