86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clicking or tapping noise on deceleration with foot slightly off the gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clicking or tapping noise on deceleration with foot slightly off the gas

Hey all, I know similar questions have popped up here, but they haven't exactly matched what I'm experiencing.

Running a 93 22RE Pickup 5 speed manual. I'll lay out the exact steps to reproduce the problem:
  • Get engine warmed up
  • Drive at highway speed, 50 mph +
  • Let off the gas slightly to decelerate, but keep foot on the gas pedal
  • Tapping/clicking noise starts
The noise sounds like exaggerated valve noise or maybe injectors. Nothing in the bottom end as far as I can tell. There is no vibration. Just the noise... and it bugs me lol. To me, the conditions scream TPS. The moment I apply even the slightest extra pressure to the pedal, the sound stops. Let me explain what I did prior to the sound starting. Yes, it's probably my fault...

I got all ambitious last year and decided to clean up my throttle body and IACV and adjust the valves. I set the valves according to the FSM and checked the timing chain guides while there. Everything looked good. Throttle body was pretty black in the hind quarters. I cleaned it thoroughly. The IACV actually looked pretty good. I removed the TPS during this process so I wouldn't damage it. I followed the FSM and another online resource to adjust my TPS properly when reinstalling it. I checked and rechecked after installing it. It's set just right. I also set the timing. It's slightly retarded since I have some possible pinging and I've heard that can help.

I've tested two TPSs. Seems unlikely that both would be bad.

So where should I look? There are no codes being thrown. Knock sensor circuit? Clogged injectors? Maybe I need to try a third TPS?? I probably can't get a recording of the sound because all the ambient noise would drown it out. Thanks for any input!