Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Catalytic Converter Stolen! At School!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would just get a nice cat, but my budget is not too good. That is why I will get a cheapie.

I am guessing a cheapie will not have those nice expensive metals...
Old 03-17-2008, 03:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
OK maybe I'm sheltered but why in the hell would anyone steal a cat? I mean really?? What kind of freak thinks that a truck bed full of catalytic converters is worth anything?

Strange to say the least..........
Old 03-17-2008, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get a hi-flow cat...about 150...go to a custom muffler shop get it all done for about 200.00
Old 03-17-2008, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkers88
OK maybe I'm sheltered but why in the hell would anyone steal a cat? I mean really?? What kind of freak thinks that a truck bed full of catalytic converters is worth anything?

Strange to say the least..........
Because the paladium in the cats is worth a pretty penny
Old 03-17-2008, 05:03 PM

Can anyone tell me the difference between a "hi-flow cat" and a "cheapie cat"???
Old 03-17-2008, 05:24 PM

welcome to the club! about everyone in my gayass city has had theirs stolen or tempered with..
Old 03-17-2008, 05:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, aftermarket cats are rusted to hell by the time you've finished installing it.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:05 PM

That sucks man!! Like the others have said, I would get an aftermarket cat welded in. Once they see the cat welded in they usually can recognize its not factory and wont take it since the recyclers wont give them anything for the aftermarkets ones.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:50 PM

Paint will burn off the cat, they get very hot.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:13 PM

that sucks make the school pay for it.
if 3 other trucks had them stolen then the school should pay for it also call the scrapyards and ask for a list of clients who brought in cats in the last few days.
or at least warn them that some one will be comming in with 3 or 4 toyota cats and one might be yours.

if they cannot provide one make a deal about it to the local government here where I live you now have to give a name and address to sell copper due to the rise in copper thefts.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Pistonman
Paint will burn off the cat, they get very hot.
I painted my whole exhaust with high temp enamel paint and it has stayed the same color for over a year now and has not rusted point of painting it in the first place.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:49 PM

Thanks guys. What my biggest concern is them stealing it again. I do not think they will, but I do not want to push my luck in the least.

Yeah, I do fear getting pulled over on my drive tomorrow, but I did file a police report so it is not like I took it out myself.

I made an appointment with my local shop for wednesday, so all will be said and done then. Will show what happens and pictures of the job they do.

You know how nice of a guy I am? I actually wrote notes to the other fellow Toyota's that we stolen. I told them what happened, and gave them my phone number and everything. One guy called me up screaming! I told them everything I knew and got their e-mail. I found an article on this matter and e-mailed it to them.. along with the shop number and quote.
Maybe we can organize some sort of complaint to the city, or school. At least to help cover SOME of the costs. I agree that it is my right to park in their lot, but my safety is #1 priority, and that is sure as hell not safe.

I will keep you guys posted.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:53 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
What ya do is remove the cat, and run a "test pipe" which is just a straight section of pipe. When you go to get the SMOG test, replace the cat and clear any codes.

OR better yet.

Buy one of those cheap aftermarket cats so you at least dont get any codes, and when you go get smogged replace your factory cat.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:46 PM

Where can I takee my discarded cats to for recycling, I need some build coin and I know these things are worth something
Old 03-18-2008, 04:47 AM

The only problem with running a 'test pipe' here in cali is, if you get pulled over or someone see's it even if you arnt getting a smog, you can get ticketed for it
Old 03-18-2008, 06:17 AM

Yeah, but I think I am okay to drive since I got this police report yesterday.

Was thinking of doing a test pipe, but decided against it... I just want it fixed and over with.
How exactly can I get my school to pay for this? I mean it is a college after all, not some school system where everything is paid by the government... I pay to park at school $60 and the security guys nor the cops said anything about making the school pay for it...

No one has told me the difference between a "high-flow cat" and a "cheapie cat". Is there going to be a big difference in the sound or the performance of my truck?

Last edited by infiltrator; 03-18-2008 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:11 AM

call the main office in the phone book tell them what happened and they should patch you through to the right office that handles claims.

my friend had a stereo stolen from his car on campus here, and they paid for his window.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:50 AM

Bag the truck and put sensors on it so when someone goes underneath the truck el squash o' wouldn't that be sweet !!
They are ripping the gutters off the rich peoples houses and stealing their copper mail boxes too!!!
So much for the theory if it's nailed down nobody will bother with it !
No matter what you do really if they want it they will get it like making the truck unable to be stolen...a flatbed works for that , I would try the school it is on school property and there are no security guards...not that it would help!
Old 03-18-2008, 10:06 PM

Hi Flow & Cheapie

Hi Flow & Cheapie are about equal and/ or the same, they are both difficult to pass Ca smog with too.

I just bought a Magnaflow online from Auto Parts Warehouse for $89.74, I mean $96.25 with tax, free shipping though.

I was gonna get one from Downey Offroad but a couple of my partners at work ordered them from D.O. and when they came in they raised the price by $50.00.

Also, the tweakers know the difference from stock and aftermarket cats, they don't even bother with the aftermarket ones.

Believe me, I know nothing is fool proof these days, they got my buddy's with the fancy cage and it was welded to the frame, the best thing to do is take a Sharpee and write your license # on it or etch it into the metal, both of those methods hold-up pretty good, I know, I did it to mine, I'm just hoping I don't get hit before the new one comes though.

Good Luck
RRIND

Last edited by RRIND; 03-18-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:25 PM

Damn, that sucks about the smog. I hope I pass emissions.

The good thing is I just passed like 6 moths ago, so I have a while to go.

Another good idea about a replacement cat. Maybe I could get some really good permanent metal marker and write my phone number and say RECYCLED IF STOLEN, and put my liscence plate on there. its really easy to remember too.

I really hope that for $120 bucks I get something half-decent. I will go ask questions tomorrow and take pictures too.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter Stolen! At School!!!