86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can't peel out in dirt, power problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 06:44 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by whorider
Seriously, this threads response's are lame! I can't believe I just read most of it. OP isn't asking if you can peel out in your manual transmission.
Sounds like your tranny is slipping. Have you serviced it? Fluid condition? What RPM does the converter stall? How does it drive on the street going up hills?
Yep. Just a buncha "well I don't have an auto.. but my 5 spd..."

Definitely check the fluid and change if you haven't already. Could get it flushed even, but be sure they just flush by letting the tranny pull in the fresh fluid itself. Toyota does this at the stealerships.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by az4x4runner
Definitely check the fluid and change if you haven't already. Could get it flushed even, but be sure they just flush by letting the tranny pull in the fresh fluid itself. Toyota does this at the stealerships.
I agree start with a flush then change the filter. Plenty of shops have the equipment to do it. Including quick lube places. Ask for the "t-tech" machine that is the one that use's transmission pressure to flush the fluid. Then take it home and change the filter.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by 1990yota-pickup
watch that video on youtube about dumping a few cap fulls of atf in your intake..
WTF? To clean the carbon out? Plus, how does your O2 sensors and catalytic converter hold up to this? Oil is a converters enemy. Thats why they stop working cause the platinum gets coated with oil and the chemical reaction can no longer take place. BAD idea, in my opinion! I would say that getting the engine hot and pulling a small vacuum line and sticking it in water while revving the engine works much better. Yes, ATF has detergents. But all its going to do is gum up the intake manifold. The water in a vacuum hose is more like steam cleaning the inside of your engine. Its best to let the engine run for a bit afterwards to make sure ALL moisture is gone. And it won't render the converter useless.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by yotarover
Atf in the intake?

atf in your intake will clean out all the gunk out of your intake.. and will generate alot of white smoke..

i recommend you starting out with you lawn mower to see how impressive the results are... (dont worry about exssive amount of smoke..) its just a good way to smoke out the neighborhood
Old 07-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Seriously, this threads response's are lame! I can't believe I just read most of it. OP isn't asking if you can peel out in your manual transmission.
Sounds like your tranny is slipping. Have you serviced it? Fluid condition? What RPM does the converter stall? How does it drive on the street going up hills?
i cleaned up a bunch of the crap...

OP like others have said check tranny fluid, does it smell burnt? check the timing of the motor. what gears do you have?
Old 07-18-2010, 08:43 AM

WTF? To clean the carbon out? Plus, how does your O2 sensors and catalytic converter hold up to this? Oil is a converters enemy. Thats why they stop working cause the platinum gets coated with oil and the chemical reaction can no longer take place. BAD idea, in my opinion! I would say that getting the engine hot and pulling a small vacuum line and sticking it in water while revving the engine works much better. Yes, ATF has detergents. But all its going to do is gum up the intake manifold. The water in a vacuum hose is more like steam cleaning the inside of your engine. Its best to let the engine run for a bit afterwards to make sure ALL moisture is gone. And it won't render the converter useless.

iam not saying it right, but iam just saying what i saw... i wouldnt got try this on a vehicle i am still paying on.. but it it wasnt a daily driver i defently would try it..
Old 07-18-2010, 08:51 AM

i your atf smells burnt, in your tranny you might aswell pull it and rebuild it.. cuz the burnt smell is from all the clutch packs that are burnt up
Old 07-18-2010, 09:21 AM

i your atf smells burnt, in your tranny you might aswell pull it and rebuild it.. cuz the burnt smell is from all the clutch packs that are burnt up
Again, not the best advice. Just cause the fluid is burnt doesn't mean the friction plates are gone. What happens when friction plates and the steel plates slip? It causes heat and heat causes the burned smell. Just cause you slip your clutch a few times in a manual transmission and you smell the clutch doesn't mean you have to replace it. Its essentially the same thing. Now if he pulls the pan and finds lots of debri, that is a different story.

Why do you think toyota has maintenance intervals for the transmission fluid? To replace the burned fluid and the filter that traps friction material.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:31 AM

atf in your intake will clean out all the gunk out of your intake.. and will generate alot of white smoke..
No it won't, flat out! It might clean the combustion chamber a little, but not the intake, In fact it will do the opposite.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:33 AM

well pull you pan and take a picture.. and post it let everyone see your results...
Old 07-18-2010, 10:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah theres something deff wrong with your tranny im running 35s with the 3.0 5speed and i can bake the tires on dry pavment without even dumping the clutch (do a first gear roll and lay into it and slam on the brakes at the same time) and im running stock gearing here too
Old 11-16-2010, 08:45 AM

After replacing what is supposed to be a Crane Stage II cam with a DOA cam, all I can say is Holllleeey Heck!

The truck has come alive. Peels out fine in dirt now, and goes nuts when the turbo kicks in. And I'm not done tuning it up.

It also starts easier, idles much smoother, and goes faster down the highway with much less effort.

Tranny was/is fine.

Got led to the problem by a very ugly dyno chart. The first problem was excessively low boost. After fixing that ran into behaviour that represented a significantly retarded cam (runs like a 125cc dirtbike, nothing on the bottom, way more on top). I swear they're mis-drilling the pin on 'em, the lobes seemed retarded when compared to the DOA cam. And measured 4 degrees more retarded with a degree wheel.

Shop - "We adjusted it to 7PSI" (included a turbo rebuild)
Dyno shop - "It's putting out 4.4-.75psi right now and your actuator is not in good shape"

Thanks everyone for the responses and suggestions.
BTW, here's the dyno chart from the old cam:

Last edited by edeslaur; 11-16-2010 at 08:55 AM.