Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Butt dyno

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, it is government that will make the decisions on the matter so they are important, regardless of whether or not they can understand science.
water vapor is a far more abundant component of the atmosphere and a more effective greenhouse gas than CO2 which is an extremely minor atmospheric component by comparision. yet no one is screaming about it because humans don't make it.

of all the trillions of tons of biomass on earth, humans aren't even a handfull. i read somewere in one of my geoscience textbooks that like 99% of o2 and co2 was generated and regulated by ocean life. there are 9 billion tons of ants alone! Never mind the fact that solar energy variations have caused drastic climate alterations on the other non-gaseous planets, as verified by NASA, or that since the last ice age (way before industrialization) sea levels rose hundreds of feet w/o us.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so... we have gone from the 'butt dyno' theory to the global warming theory... interesting. i think we all need our adderrall. but okay, ill play along further. does anyone think we'll have a storm like the one depicted in 'the day after tomorrow' ?
Old 02-27-2009, 06:50 AM

kinda funny how this went OT just b/c someone says "Al Gore"

i guess i needed a this morning.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:51 AM

yeah, it is, huh?
Old 02-27-2009, 06:54 AM

someone has to stoke the right?

i only removed my cat because it was dented and in MT nobody cares if ya don't have one.

how'd that movie go?
Old 02-27-2009, 06:56 AM

basically a tree hugger movie showing what will happen if we dont stop polluting... a huge storm pretty much wipes out the northern US... people start running to mexico, mexico closes the border. then the us pays mexico to reopen the border, the storm gets worse, then at the end the storm clears, leaving the atmosphere clearer than anyones ever seen it, and in the new ice age. and i think i just summed it up... lol
Old 02-27-2009, 06:59 AM

i think i have seen most of that actually, Dennis Quaid right?
Old 02-27-2009, 07:03 AM

yup. though not the quaidster at his best...
Old 02-27-2009, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
does anyone think we'll have a storm like the one depicted in 'the day after tomorrow' ?
http://www.pik-potsdam.de/~stefan/tdat_review.html

http://www.wunderground.com/education/thedayafter.asp

Short answer. No.

Long answer quoting Dr. Masters,

"Let's summarize just a few of the scientific impossibilities in the movie:

The superstorm sucks vast quantities of frigid upper atmospheric air down to the surface, flash freezing any living thing caught outside. However, any graduate of a high school physics course could tell you that the air would warm on its descent in response to the requirements of the Ideal Gas Law, and would never be able to flash freeze anything. One scientist in the movie does remember his high school physics and asks, "But wouldn't the air warm as it descends?" But the senior scientist replies, "No, it's moving too fast!" Sorry, guy, but the Ideal Gas Law applies no matter how fast the air is moving.

Clusters of thunderstorms cannot merge together to form a continent-scale blizzard with a calm eye over land. Huge storms with calm eyes can only happen over the oceans. These storms are called hurricanes, and require that the core of the storm be over warm ocean waters in order to utilize the powerful latent heat energy that water vapor gives up when it condenses into rain. And the laws of physics do not allow these type of storms to create blizzard conditions, only heavy rain.

A 300-foot high storm surge whipped up by the intense winds of the superstorm smashes through Manhattan. There's a little problem here--the winds needed to create a storm surge of this magnitude are probably at least twice the speed of sound (1200 mph), yet there is little apparent wind on the ocean's surface as the wave smashes ashore

The superstorm is shown in many scenes rotating clockwise, and in other scenes counter-clockwise. Oops, all large-scale storm systems in the Northern Hemisphere must rotate counter-clockwise, thanks to one of the laws of physics on a rotating planet called the Coriolis force."
Old 02-27-2009, 07:23 AM

ha, way to get scientific....
Old 02-27-2009, 07:28 AM

nice job.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:44 AM

I dont believe in global warming, because I heard that when a volcano erupts it causes more damage to the ozone than the human race has in its entire existance! They say the ocean has been getting warmer, well who is taking the measurements, its just the government trying to control everything!
Old 02-27-2009, 09:52 AM

Well this thread backfired. Ha, ha.

Just tried to add a little humor to my OP, didn't know it would start a debate.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:10 AM

Not to be too harsh here, but the point of a catalytic converter isn't to reduce greenhouse gases. Your engine will still spew out CO2 with the catalytic converter working. The main effect of the catalytic converter is to reduce the emission of toxic gases such as Nitrogen Oxides and Unburnt Hydrocarbons. Nitrogen Oxides turn to acid rain when they come in contact with atmospheric moisture, and together with the unburnt hydrocarbons they create smog, all which are moch more of a local problem than a global problem. High up in the atmosphere the Nitrogen Oxides contribute to breaking down the ozone layer, hence increasing your risk of skin cancer if you spend any time outside.

So don't sit there and claim you don't believe in global warming or Al Gore. You still give the impression of having less than average intelligence when you rip out your cat because you think it is restrictive or because your state happens to not care. I'm no tree hugger, but there is a good reason the cats are there.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
this has turned into a scientific argument, lmao

I have no cat on my rig at all now after the header and exhaust install, and I'm going to be putting it back on... not because I give a hoot about the O-zone, but because the exhaust reeks now...

just think about this... for everyone that guts or removes their cat, I bet you 2 tree hugging hippies by a hybrid

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 02-27-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PCE91V64x4
tightening lug nuts with your fingers is on par with being a member of the church of global warming. Both activites are rediculous, require faith and are rather unscientific.
You know what? I used to be a skeptic too, then I studied it.

Currently studying Epidemiology (look it up) at university, a portion of that is climatology studies. There is a gradual increase in temperature in most places. So, then what's all the fuss about? Well, the warming is occurring at a much much faster rate then has been seen in ever before in our data. That rise in temperature follows a remarkably similar curve to the levels of CO2, NOx, CFCs etc ("greenhouse gases"). I'm studying the relationship between increased temperature and disease specifically. There is a disconcerting link between increased temperatures and increased disease...

I'm quite well versed in this particular link, so where are your doubts, let me address them.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder

just think about this... for everyone that guts or removes their cat, I bet you 2 tree hugging hippies by a hybrid
I like the way you think.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:09 PM

Global warming kooks are hilarious!
Old 02-27-2009, 03:26 PM

[QUOTE=Matt16;51073010]
That rise in temperature follows a remarkably similar curve to the levels of CO2, NOx, CFCs etc ("greenhouse gases").
QUOTE]

What is really remarkable is that co2 spikes occur hundreds of years after temp increases, the "carbon lag" that alarmists still cling to as proof of the idea. no one has yet proven a causal link between co2 and global warming, only statistical correlations (that prove nothing).
Old 02-27-2009, 03:32 PM

haha i love this.

Quick Reply: Butt dyno