Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Building a custom center console for My 95 xtra cab.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol yeah 20 horses would be nice. Did you see that truck on here? And no its the original oval one.vyeah some of those trucks in Cali are crazy nice. I don't have nearly the cabage, I'd love to get some tube bumbers,I think they look pretty sweet. Along with perform good.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

Yep thems the brakets I was speaking about. You could take an ice pick and shove it up through tape/carpet to locate the spots to cut a small x in the carpet to remove the tape discs. If you leave the console in place you can also use the pick to mark the bottom so you can drill it out for the bolts.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:37 AM

I like it, my 83 stand cab has buckets, and a small tray in between the seats, I've thought of trying to do a pick and pull fab from a donor to put something in there. I kind of like my stuff stock, or at least could go back to stock if I ever wanted too.

I hate the factory radio AM/FM that I have and in order to make any change I would have to cut the metal of the dash, which I certainly didn't want to do, one: like I said I would want the option of going back to stock, and two: there just did not seem to be a way without some serious fab to make it look nice, the shape is all wrong.

I think I could put an after market radio into the console and have it hidden away, a quick peek inside would show the factory radio and one would think there wasn't anything there.

The PO "had" a radio in the glove box, cut a nice big hole in there for one, but that didn't come with the truck when I got it, no big deal I do like tunes but wasn't sure what to do, I now have some "food for thought" not as good as chef makes!!!!! man he kills me with all those pics, usually when I'm at work, staring at some "green meat" sammy in a vend-o-crap machine! I hate it when lunch meat catches the light and it looks like its "winking" at you!!

nice Job BTW,
Old 08-19-2010, 09:23 AM

Haha yeah. If you take your truck to a Fry's or Best Buy and have them install your radio, they order kits that convert yours to a new style radio. Why would yo go back to stock radio?

Yep thems the brakets I was speaking about. You could take an ice pick and shove it up through tape/carpet to locate the spots to cut a small x in the carpet to remove the tape discs. If you leave the console in place you can also use the pick to mark the bottom so you can drill it out for the bolts.
Thanks. I dont have an ice pick, but im sure i can figure it out. Also, do yall think i should counter sink the bolts into the wood or leave them on the surface?
Old 08-19-2010, 10:11 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by angrydogtattoo
I like it, my 83 stand cab has buckets, and a small tray in between the seats, I've thought of trying to do a pick and pull fab from a donor to put something in there. I kind of like my stuff stock, or at least could go back to stock if I ever wanted too.

I hate the factory radio AM/FM that I have and in order to make any change I would have to cut the metal of the dash, which I certainly didn't want to do, one: like I said I would want the option of going back to stock, and two: there just did not seem to be a way without some serious fab to make it look nice, the shape is all wrong.

I think I could put an after market radio into the console and have it hidden away, a quick peek inside would show the factory radio and one would think there wasn't anything there.

The PO "had" a radio in the glove box, cut a nice big hole in there for one, but that didn't come with the truck when I got it, no big deal I do like tunes but wasn't sure what to do, I now have some "food for thought" not as good as chef makes!!!!! man he kills me with all those pics, usually when I'm at work, staring at some "green meat" sammy in a vend-o-crap machine! I hate it when lunch meat catches the light and it looks like its "winking" at you!!

nice Job BTW,
They have radios you can special order that will fit RIGHT IN. They're smaller and taller.... Some are just not as wide. But they do make them. Gotza have good sounds, homie! lol. I know what you mean on the cutting etc. I have speaker boxes for my 4way 6x9 Pioneers, that I have 6' of monster cable attached to... that way I can put them on the roof when out camping, whatever, and I didn't have to cut anything out(Plus, on the 4 Runner, the speaker holes in the very back of the first gen 4runners are useless without a decent amp, anyhow, lol). I just put high quality Blaupunkt 4" speakers in the dash holes.... and I'm plenty fine with that and a 50Wx4 stereo!
Old 08-19-2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by 95blackToy
Haha yeah. If you take your truck to a Fry's or Best Buy and have them install your radio, they order kits that convert yours to a new style radio. Why would yo go back to stock radio?

Thanks. I dont have an ice pick, but im sure i can figure it out. Also, do yall think i should counter sink the bolts into the wood or leave them on the surface?
PICS! LOVE ICE PIC WORK! .....Makes me feel all stabby inside! Hahahaha.

Looking forward to seeing the beast!
Old 08-19-2010, 10:22 AM

Yeah me to. And yeah ice picks are cool. I love my stereo and speakers. I got a 52Wx4 and got the two speaker up front replaced with the same ones in the back, just smaller. Now all i need is subs. Probably getting console tomorrow. gotta call the guy. I also dont get off work till 7 today, so i'll see what happens.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:30 AM

Cool, .... watching.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:47 AM

itl be tomorrow evening he said.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I wanna see the console when it's finished! i'm wanting to do something very similar in my 93 runner....
Old 08-19-2010, 04:22 PM

Go for it man. It was a fun project. Im just excited to goet it tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:52 AM

sorry guys i wont be able to get picture of it till monday. Im going to the deer lease. we have no internet or computers there. But yall can sure il have pics up soon as possible.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by 95blackToy
Yeah deffinatly.I'm wanting to get another grab handle for drivers side and when I get paid Monday I'm gonna do a rear diff breather mod.mine is plugged and blew a seal.

You should check these guys out for your breather. I got one of their triple blocks and it works great. It also keeps things nice and tidy. My $0.02.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:11 PM

Forgot to post the link.
http://www.northeastxt.com/vent.html
Old 08-20-2010, 02:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
why ya goin to the deer lease? lol food plots?
Old 08-20-2010, 03:06 PM

[quote=95blackToy;51529044]Haha yeah. If you take your truck to a Fry's or Best Buy and have them install your radio, they order kits that convert yours to a new style radio. Why would yo go back to stock radio?

Yeah maybe I wouldn't want to go back to a stock radio, but if you pull the dash off you see that the radio is the OLD style with two knobs and behind the dash is one small rectangular hole and then two small circles on either side, to get a new 1 din radio in you would have to cut into the metal dash, just not wanting that, but a center console between the seats would put a radio at my finger tips!
Old 08-21-2010, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Does'nt have to be an "ice pick" there are these small picks you can get in any hardware store Lowes sells a set of 5 or 10 with different bends/hooks on the point they are sometimes called "parts picks" I just know them all as Ice picks...
Old 08-21-2010, 03:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
not to hi jack the thread, but aviator, the "parts pick".... if i had some ice that need pickin, would it work to pic at the ice??? lol
Old 08-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by helidriver
not to hi jack the thread, but aviator, the "parts pick".... if i had some ice that need pickin, would it work to pic at the ice??? lol

**SIGH** Yes helidriver they would work on ice...

Very well in fact though depending on the size of the block it might take you a bit longer to break it up...

You know why choppers fly don't you?...
the earth just naturally repels them...

I do have some time in fling wings... if I had a little more moola I'd have my rating for them...

what's your fav type?
Old 08-22-2010, 02:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
have my private/ifr and about 10 hrs from my commercial. R44 and R22 is my only experience but the R44 is pretty nice.... Fun as hell though....

Quick Reply: Building a custom center console for My 95 xtra cab.