Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone bought an engine from Orient Engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just talked them and they add 250 to the price for the core now, they also that their prices went up after the first of the year. I'm gonna order mine today though.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:42 AM

Anyone have a web address for orient?
Old 01-05-2006, 11:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iweb
Anyone have a web address for orient?
http://www.orientengine.com/
Old 02-01-2006, 12:49 PM

Sorry for the hi-jack, but I'm shopping too...

How about a 22re from Evergreen - through Autozone? $1254 3yr unlimited -$500 core
or Recon for $1949 same warr. -$550 core
or Performance for $1604 same warr. -$500 core
or ATK for $1757 same warr. -$350 core

Any thoughts on these reman companies??

Does Orient demand that a shop put the motor in for warr. reasons? or is the only thing effected the "labor reimbersement"??

Last edited by fnrunner; 02-01-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:05 PM

I wouldn't trust an engine from Autozone, personally.

Brian
Old 02-01-2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Asha'man

Brian
Thats exactly what i was thinking too cause it's alot of loot no matter which way u go. But seems like a local place with a warrantee makes some sense...
I'm calling Orient tomorrow to get the low down & see if they'd do just a short block so I can go with a head w/ RV cam & good timing chain with steel guides from engnbldr.

These guys are way too competitive on price compared to the cost of machine work, parts, gaskets, my time to rebuild myself. Even if i do have the FSM & all the tools....
Old 02-02-2006, 12:03 AM

Most builders allow you to install yourself. However if there is a failure and they find that it was due to your installation and not the engine itself then they won't cover it. That is true no matter who installs the engine though.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Asha'man

Brian
Word.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:56 AM

Got my engine from orient. Everything went smoothly without a hitch. Even my mechanic was impressed with the quality of the engine and the quick response. Would do it again in a heartbeat (not that i want to. you know what I mean)

Only issue i had was getting back my core. I hadnt gotten it in over 2 weeks so i gave them a call and they told me they'd get back to me. An hour later i got a call-back and the lady in charge of returning cores told me that they've been swamped and were backed up on returning cores. She assured me though that my core charge was credited to my account now.

Good people over at Orient
Old 02-02-2006, 11:52 AM

Any idea why their prices are so much higher than a lot of the other long block suppliers? I see they have good support and a good reputation, but do they use superior parts or the same stuff as everyone else?

My local reman supplier wants $1350 for a long block, gaskets, etc...12month/12k mile warranty, plus a core.

Just curious

Thanks
Shawn
Old 02-02-2006, 03:48 PM

Has anyone had experience with non-stock rebuilds? If I bought a rebuilt engine as opposed to building one myself (would be my second motor build, not too worried), I would want to put forged pistons in just in case I ended up throwing boost at it later. Anyone know if Orient or others do custom stuff like that?

Brian
Old 02-02-2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
Any idea why their prices are so much higher than a lot of the other long block suppliers? I see they have good support and a good reputation, but do they use superior parts or the same stuff as everyone else?

My local reman supplier wants $1350 for a long block, gaskets, etc...12month/12k mile warranty, plus a core.

Just curious

Thanks
Shawn
Deffinately cheeper parts and/or cheeper labor could account for it. Think of it like this, even with the cheepest parts and the youngest guy in the shop putting it together a year is easily attainable, I mean the factory makes them to last a good ten to twenty years. You usually get what you pay for.

Look for someone who will give you details and has a good reputation with their customers.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:04 AM

I called & talked with shop manager Roger. (The girl answering phone couldn't give me specifics I was after.)
He said they use Hastings Moly rings, Fed. Mogul bearings, all Felpro gaskets (incl. head gasket) & they're using steel backed timing chain guides.
Their price does include truck freight to & from for the core return...& they have the 3yr unlimited mileage warranty.

I'm really thinking about going with them - 1499 isn't bad - just wish I could swap out the cam with engnbldr's to get a little more umph. Roger said it'd void his warranty though. Guess i'll wait a while...

Last edited by fnrunner; 02-03-2006 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:41 PM

The Felpro Gasket set for the 3.0 is absolute junk. The felpro HG is no better then the original one Toyota put in there. They're using felpro cause they are the cheepest gasket set. I wouldn't waste my time with antthing other then the steel slipperplate from rockgasket or the nitroseal HGs.

Once again the felpro is junk.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Felpro's aren't that great but I would have to say that a lot of it is in the hands of the installer as well. I got my engine from orient and could not be happier.. plus with a 3 year warranty then it really pays for itself anyways.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:57 PM

Have you read their warrenty? Not that I think Orient is junk, but it is nowhere near a factory warrently.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, I read it. I bought one of their motors. It does not matter where you go.. noone is going to warranty a remanufactured motor the same as a brand new motor from toyota. Especially when the cost is a fraction of the price.

Even when you have a motor rebuilt locally, majority of the places will charge more without a warranty.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:10 PM

I didn't think the HG was an issue on the 22RE. I've got a 3.0 in the 89 & have heard tons of stuff on it though....luckily haven't had to go down that road yet.
Wish my stealership to give me a def. answer on if the HG's were replaced. They looked up the VIN like 5 times & it came back w/ nothing.

I have heard bad things about anything other than genuine Toyota parts/gaskets, but this time I don't know....those OE parts add up fast!
Old 02-04-2006, 05:14 PM

rod knock

This is kinda gettin off topic, but the guy at autozone told me the rod knock i was hearing was the timing chain slappin around. is there anyway that this could sound even relatively the same? it comes moreso when the engine is under a load,(when you get into the throttle, lay off, and it quits.) just wondering if i need to be readin up one where to buy a motor or repalce those cheap plastic oem guides with steel ones.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:22 PM

Sunwest Automotive Engines?

http://www.sunwestautomotiveengines.com/index.htm

I've been looking at these guys. They will swap the cam for an RV cam for I think it was $89. (Still Warrentied...) They also offer a "Performance" long block. I'm not sure yet if I go with them which long block I'll get. Anyone have any experience with them? They were quite friendly and helpful when I spoke with them via phone.

Ron

Quick Reply: Anyone bought an engine from Orient Engine