86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

94 pouring out white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 pouring out white smoke

was asking awhile back about the headgasket being bad on my 1994 pickup with the 3.0L motor and most people thought it was tstat bad and air so i took the new one i had put in ( i had replaced the radiator , cap and tstat becuase of over heating etc.) out and that seemed to work the truck didn't run hot or boil over , the truck sat for a week and on sunday i started it up to move it we knew we had to put more antifreeze in it since it wasn't a 50/50 mix and it was getting cold , when i started it up it smoked which it never really had before but i just thought that being colder and sitting for a week was the reason well after a few mins it didn't stop and now its just pours out the smoke and doesn't stop it seems white and i think once in a while i get a hint of antifreeze smell. the oil still looks good and it seems to be running fine so what do you guys think did the headgasket let go ? or is there something else i should look at ? the bad thing is i just don't really have a place to do the job in out side is a no way since its getting to cold and i can't afford to take it anyplace either i haven't had the truck a month yet and at first i had planned on just reselling it and making a few bucks ( i really didn't think it was a headgasket gone bad ) the truck has i really good body for being up here in VT just some rust around the rear wheelwells and a spot on the bottom of the right front fender it also has a brand new frame under it and alot of new parts in it. what do you guys think ? is it the heads or something else. should i selling as is or keep it through the winter and fix it in the spring ? or will sitting all winter hurt it more ? thanks for any help.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:31 PM

head gasket or cracked head do a compression/ leak down test.

Last edited by 93YotaMonster; 12-16-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
3.0101010hg101011101hg!
Old 12-15-2009, 06:45 PM

watch the smoke. does it linger in the air of does it dissipate quickly. if it dissipates quickly its water but if it hangs around its oil. good luck
Old 12-15-2009, 10:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
do a compression test or leak down test.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:17 AM

White smoke is hg. Sorry man. My hg is starting to weep and I'm thinking about trying to find a low miles 3.0 in a junkyard and replace the headgaskets while the motor is on a stand and build/buy an aftermarket header system.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:19 AM

I remember you posting a while back, I voted for a bad head gasket back then and I retain my position now. Since it's a 3.0 it's a strong possibility and a very commonplace problem. They had a head gasket recall on those you know. I had to replace them on my old 95 and after that it ran great. Just fix it, it will be worth much more fixed than with a blown head gasket. It's worth it in my opinion.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:04 AM

I know that toyota had a huge recall on the head gaskets. Call your local toyota dealer and give them your vin #. They can run it and see if it still qualifies for the recall. I would reccomend going in and having them search it. It is worth a shot. My wife had a 92' pickup redone under warranty a few years ago. Don't keep running the enigne because you may be causing more harm than good right now. It can lock up. Hit me up if you have any more questions.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:50 PM

thanks , think i'll see what i can do with toyota maybe i'll get lucky ! as i said i bought this to fix up a little and sell but had been thinking of holding onto it since it was in pretty good shape i was so hoping in would not be the hg. for the smoke, man ! its hard to tell but guess it does drift off but there's just so much of it my son said it looks like i put seafoam in it !
Old 12-17-2009, 06:49 PM

You could try some Blue Devil head gasket sealant; stuff is a guaranteed to work, and uses chemical technology, not particulates. See what that does, until you get the money for a proper fix.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:01 AM

http://steelseal.com/?gclid=CMPMgaL3354CFRTHsgodiEzMKQ. a guy at work used this stuff and he said it works great, its a little on the high side but hell its worth a shot. if it works it will give you some time to save money for the head gasket job.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:37 PM

Talked to the local dealer and found that head gasket was done in 98 so out of luck there , i was wondering if there could be any chance it might have something to do with the intake ? my son did remove it to replace the valve cover gaskets it didn't smoke the first or second time he had started it after he did the gaskets but the third time was when it started smokeing maybe nothing but was ondering since i had read someplace that they had white smoke and it was a intake leak i checked the oil and it still looks good the antifreeze was still up the day after we started it but haven't checked it since will do it tues. so what do you think ?
Old 12-22-2009, 09:19 AM

i had a craked head on my 22re it never had oil in the water, or water in the oil so that dosent ruel out that you have a head gasket problem but it could be the intake gaskets there cheaper to fix than the head gasket. so if you realy want to, you can replace them again and then go from there, but im still leaning to bad head gasket.

have you done a compression/leak down test? if not then you realy need to do that to gives us a little more info.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:07 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
VT toy.. where you from? im in vt also and have replaced the head gasket on my 3.o after I hydro locked it.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:22 PM

hey dont do that fast fix stuff does more bad then good.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by RE-RE
VT toy.. where you from? im in vt also and have replaced the head gasket on my 3.o after I hydro locked it.
live up in Topsham , the big thing is i would do the head gasket now but as you know its getting or is way to cold out side to do it my son can change it but no place to do it and money is a little low right now so just thought that for as much as it would be driven ( not very much ) i could get away with the sealer then do the gasket this spring. but not 100% sure right now what i will do .
Old 12-22-2009, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by VTToy
live up in Topsham , the big thing is i would do the head gasket now but as you know its getting or is way to cold out side to do it my son can change it but no place to do it and money is a little low right now so just thought that for as much as it would be driven ( not very much ) i could get away with the sealer then do the gasket this spring. but not 100% sure right now what i will do .
if i was you i would go ahead and spend the money on the steel seal at least you could get threw the winter and save some money to do the head gaskets. but what ever you decide i hope it works out for you and have a marry Christmas
Old 12-22-2009, 05:41 PM

If you don't need to drive it I would just park it until you can fix it properly. Start it up intermittently during the winter and change the oil a few times. Don't use any of that alumaseal crap it will only hurt you in the long run. The 3.0 blow head gasket's regularly and when they are fixed they run fine. You just have to fix it the right way and not try some cheap fix solution.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:09 AM

DON'T PUT ANY OF THAT CRAP IN YOUR MOTOR YET!!!!! Check your power steering fluid, my p/s idle up valve went out so badly that it sucked in TONS of fluid and seemed like it was the head gasket I bypassed the valve (ie- pushed out the faulty rod and put a bolt with rubber washers in its place) and capped the vaccum lines. Runs like a champ now, but the plugs were ruined and now I fear that my cat is full of burnt steering fluid.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:26 AM

still wondering if it has something to do with the intake maybe leaking since it never did smoke before he took it apart to change the valve cover gaskets and he didn't reolace those on the intake . is there a way to check before i buy and replace them ? we did a pressure check before and everything was good stayed right up there at think 15psi . if we did a pressure check of the cooling system again would that show a leak someplace like the intake ? also would would it do if it was the intake as in running ? smoke , run ruff would you smell the antifreeze out the exhuast ? thanks for all your help on this !

Quick Reply: 94 pouring out white smoke