86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

94 Pickup uneven rearend

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 94 Pickup uneven rearend

When I bought my 94 Toyota Pickup in October of 2016 I noticed it sat uneven in the front and back. I was able to fix the front by adjusting the torsion bars. They were quite different in there adjustments, and when I evened the adjustment to about the same on each side, the front end straightened out. I now have 13.5" from fender to top of rim and both sides.
However the back end is a different story. I noticed that the back passenger side leaf spring had a nice upward curve to it, but the drivers side leaf spring did not have a curve to it but was quite flat. The distance from fender to top of rim was 1 1/4" lower on the drivers side than the passenger side.
So I thought a new leaf spring would fix the problem. I bought another leaf spring from a wrecking yard from a 94 Toyota pickup. Looked good, but when installed it sat just the same as before. The leaf spring went flat and the distances did not change.
Has anyone had this problem? I noticed that the drivers side shock is mounted in front of the rear axle and the passenger side shock is mounted on the back side of the rear axle. Dose that have anything to do with it?
Old 02-03-2017, 12:31 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Spend the money buy two new springs

As in brand new !!

I bet your old one looks fine off the truck

Check out General Spring
Old 02-03-2017, 06:49 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
gas tank sits on the drivers side? if not, it might have had a lot of weight on that side in its previous life. new springs or an add a leaf are in your future if it bugs you that much.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:29 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by ron78
When I bought my 94 Toyota Pickup in October of 2016 I noticed it sat uneven in the front and back. I was able to fix the front by adjusting the torsion bars. They were quite different in there adjustments, and when I evened the adjustment to about the same on each side, the front end straightened out. I now have 13.5" from fender to top of rim and both sides.
However the back end is a different story. I noticed that the back passenger side leaf spring had a nice upward curve to it, but the drivers side leaf spring did not have a curve to it but was quite flat. The distance from fender to top of rim was 1 1/4" lower on the drivers side than the passenger side.
So I thought a new leaf spring would fix the problem. I bought another leaf spring from a wrecking yard from a 94 Toyota pickup. Looked good, but when installed it sat just the same as before. The leaf spring went flat and the distances did not change.
Has anyone had this problem? I noticed that the drivers side shock is mounted in front of the rear axle and the passenger side shock is mounted on the back side of the rear axle. Dose that have anything to do with it?
Ug, height is measured at the camber adjustment bolts and the forward spring hangers. Yeah I know that method works but it's not "right", what happens if someone leans on your fenders and tweaks them a little bit...

Q&A
Yep everybody does. (I use my tool kit to balance the fuel tank)
No. The angles are the same just different mounting points.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:49 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Ron,
I've seen that problem....on my very own 84 longbed truck. Everything sat nice and level on the rear packs but, as soon as
I tightened up the u-bolts, they sagged down and rather unevenly. The cause was bent perches. The landing area was curved.
The fix was too weld about 1/2" thick plates on top of the perches and have a really flat landing area for the leafpacks.

Another issue with some of the trucks is that the perch can cave into the axle tubing and a symptom to look for is a slight
gear oil oozing. This happens to the passenger side mostly.

You say the front is straight across level at 13.5" on both sides......that means the rear will be perfectly level in an ideal world
but it's off by 1 1/4" for you? You have a combo of a bent frame maybe....or a couple of body mounts that have collapsed.....
or something along those lines that prevents agreement. Find a piece of flat cement slab (gas stations)and measure from
the frame ends to ground and see if that agrees. Check tire pressures also.

Last edited by ZUK; 02-06-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Makes Sence

May well be part of the problem. But I still think the spring has a lot to do with it. The drivers side spring is flat and the bottom leaf is all the way tight against the next leaf. On the passenger side the spring has a nice arc to it and the bottom leaf has spacing next to the upper leaf. See pictures.
Attached Thumbnails 94 Pickup uneven rearend-20170206_093030.jpg   94 Pickup uneven rearend-20170206_093001.jpg  
Old 02-06-2017, 08:52 AM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Bend the flat spring. I've re-arched dozens of them.

Find a suitable immovable object, and a long pipe, or square tube; and have at it.

Gotta bend 'em cold. Watch your teeth, stuff happens if you're not paying attention to what is really going on.

When I'm arching pairs of springs, I use chalk on the concrete floor to mark the shape of each leaf, so that I can see before and after profiles, and match the arch of each leaf, side to side, so that the results will be even..

I can do in a day what the spring shop wants near a thousand dollars for.

Last edited by millball; 02-06-2017 at 08:55 AM.