Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Aftermarket Heat/Oil Pressure Gauges???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Heat/Oil Pressure Gauges???

I have an 89 4Runner with the 3.0 VZE. I am looking for suggestions on best aftermarket heat and oil pressure gauges??? Any input is appreciated!
Old 02-04-2017, 02:42 PM

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Don't know what "best" means to you, so can't answer your question directly. I use "mechanical" gauges. No, the tubing isn't cheap plastic; it's nylon and very tough and resistant to vibration and corrosion. It will melt if in contact with a hot exhaust. So will the insulation on your underhood electrical wiring, and any rubber hose in your fuel or other systems. That's why they are routed and supported to avoid that.

Last set I bought was "mini triple gauge" from J.C. Whitney $19.95. Worked good, last long time. Probably cost more nowadays.

Three of the manufacturers of longtime in the business and with good reputations... Smiths http://www.nisonger.com/index.htm Stewart-Warner http://www.stewartwarner.com/ VDO https://www.vdo-gauges.com/
Old 02-04-2017, 05:38 PM

Thanks for the feedback JJ'89! I appreciate the nylon recommendation and the links!

"Best" is a very subjective term but I am looking for others opinions of their "best". To better state what I mean...Accurate, long lasting and relatively easy to install. The factory gauges on my 89 4Runner still work but I am concerned about their accuracy, especially on the rebuilt engine. The gauges have 300k on them but the engine has about 10k. I want to make sure this thing goes another 250k to 300k.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
FWIW, I've used Autometer gauges in most of my race cars. They test well, reading wise, when compared to other gauges.
No, I'm not sponsored by them - but I would love to be.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by mdyoung
Thanks for the feedback JJ'89! I appreciate the nylon recommendation and the links!

"Best" is a very subjective term but I am looking for others opinions of their "best". To better state what I mean...Accurate, long lasting and relatively easy to install. The factory gauges on my 89 4Runner still work but I am concerned about their accuracy, especially on the rebuilt engine. The gauges have 300k on them but the engine has about 10k. I want to make sure this thing goes another 250k to 300k.
I have an '89 2wd pickup with the 22RE. Only "gauge" is coolant temp. That system probably is electrical. If I was concerned about it, I'd pull the sender out and test it or just put a new factory part in. I firmly believe that most people most cars most of the time are best served by "idiot lights". A bright RED light will get your attention. The airplanes I used to fly had count 'em 32 engine instruments, eight per engine, and a bunch of warning and caution lights too. The really, really important stuff has a red light sometimes flashing. Less important...amber lights. Guess what engine oil pressure and temperature have? Gauge no bigger than your car 2 1/16". But there's a flight engineer who is (supposed to) watching them all of the time.

Last edited by JJ'89; 02-04-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:57 PM

The main thing I am concerned with is coolant. I couldn't focus on 32 but I've had too many close calls and coolant issues in the paste not to watch the heat gauge...Lol. I'm not up for another head rebuild so soon.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:21 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Close enough is good enough.

If close enough is good enough for the federal regulation it's good enough for our daily use. It's not a rocket dragster. Grab a random any brand off the self and drop it into a pot of boiling water and it's going to be less than 10% error usually closer to 5.

Now ruggedness and lifespan that's a bit different and even big dollar stuff is going to have random failures, variations in quality control ect..
Old 02-05-2017, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by mdyoung
The main thing I am concerned with is coolant. I couldn't focus on 32 but I've had too many close calls and coolant issues in the paste not to watch the heat gauge...Lol. I'm not up for another head rebuild so soon.
Here ya' go: http://www.jcwhitney.com/equus-class...erid=b1255u0j1
Old 02-06-2017, 04:06 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback! I think I'll go the JC Whitney route!