86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

93 22r-e, trouble when it rains.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 22r-e, trouble when it rains.

Well, like the title says i've got a 93 pickup with a 5 spd 22r-e, and everytime it rains for 1-2 days hard, it doesnt like to run right till after it drys up.
What its been doing is like this: Cranks fine, but when its going down the road its like it has no power until the motor reaches a certain rpm(Dont have a rpm gauge, couldnt say when) but in first, it lags till about 15 mph, then it picks up, then 2nd does lags till around 35, then it kicks up. 3rd does it in the 45-50 range. it wouldnt be as big of a deal, but i live here in the mountains where its nothing but uphill then downhill. So far we've replaced the plug wires, rotor button, and cap, and used some blue sealer maker to try and fix the broken o-ring seal that the cap goes over. If anybody else has had this problem and knows how to fix it, any help would be great. Thanks guys.

Also, first post, so hello everybody. i'll be posting up some pictures of my truck in the next couple days.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:56 PM

Yeah I have the same issue. I can't remember what the part is called but I've been told that you can replace that part that's in the passenger side kick panel and it will go away. I guess the moisture gets in there and corrodes the wires or connections in there. It's a little black box looking thing that is only a couple inches by a couple inches. I know that's very non nondescript but once you knock off that kick panel you'll see what I'm talking about. I can't guarantee that it will fix your problem but I have been told that it does. I haven't replaced it on mine yet because if it's raining enough to do that to me I just let the truck run for a while before I go anywhere. It always seems to run good for me after I let it run a while. I don't know a ton about these truck so anyone else who knows a lot please tell me if I'm wrong. I would hate to be passing on bad advice.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by DixieThunder
Yeah I have the same issue. I can't remember what the part is called but I've been told that you can replace that part that's in the passenger side kick panel and it will go away. I guess the moisture gets in there and corrodes the wires or connections in there. It's a little black box looking thing that is only a couple inches by a couple inches. I know that's very non nondescript but once you knock off that kick panel you'll see what I'm talking about. I can't guarantee that it will fix your problem but I have been told that it does. I haven't replaced it on mine yet because if it's raining enough to do that to me I just let the truck run for a while before I go anywhere. It always seems to run good for me after I let it run a while. I don't know a ton about these truck so anyone else who knows a lot please tell me if I'm wrong. I would hate to be passing on bad advice.
I'll try to find out some more about it. i figured it might be the o-ring seal, but im not sure. And i'll try just letting it run for a bit from now on too. Thanks for the advice though man.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:17 AM

I had this problem a couple of years ago. Ended up being the seals around my injectors. I replaced the intake manifold gasket as well so that could have also played a role. I'd start there. Good luck
Old 01-02-2012, 09:44 AM

To me, this sounds more like an ignition problem.
If your cap/rotor is relatively new, take a look at your coil and plug wires.
Your coil shouldn't have any cracks, burn marks or distortion.

When the truck won't start, see if you have spark [good strong spark, not a yellow/orange spark]. If you do, you know it's not the coil.
If you don't, see if your fuel pump is working [check for fuel pressure]. If you do have fuel pressure, it's most likely the coil/ignition.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by 93YotaGuy
I had this problem a couple of years ago. Ended up being the seals around my injectors. I replaced the intake manifold gasket as well so that could have also played a role. I'd start there. Good luck
Thanks man, i think i'll try that and go ahead and replace the broken o-ring seal on the distributer as well.

And alltrac, i'll check those too. i'm pretty sure my wires are good, because we replaced them when we replaced the cap and rotor button.

But thanks guys!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:13 PM

I hadn't thought of that stuff, like I said I still have a lot to learn haha. Hope you track down the issue brother and please keep us posted on how it goes when you do different things to it. Best of luck.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:57 PM

Thanks man, i'll update as soon as i get money to start working on it haha.
In the mean time, its off topic, but is there anywhere i should post to introduce myself or anything?
Old 01-03-2012, 01:00 PM

icing
Old 01-03-2012, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by wildfire124
icing
icing? o.O
Old 01-03-2012, 11:40 PM

Here's a link to the new member section, it's kind of different forum set up here. I had to find it from my topic I started when I became a new member haha I couldn't find the the area just by clicking "forum" and searching for a few seconds.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f151/
Old 01-04-2012, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by DixieThunder
Here's a link to the new member section, it's kind of different forum set up here. I had to find it from my topic I started when I became a new member haha I couldn't find the the area just by clicking "forum" and searching for a few seconds.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f151/
Alright, thanks man. I'll go ahead and post there next time i get on, cause i gotta get ready for school today haha
Old 01-06-2012, 07:29 PM

My '94 22RE pickup did the same thing after heavy rain. Turned out I had a small crack in the distributor. Fixed that and no more problems.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:36 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

What kind of wires are you running ??? I had one that would throw fits with any but Toyota wires.

Do you still have the Rubber boot over the distributor ??

When it rains hard do you see any water on the floor of the truck??

In other words is the windshield leaking??

You don`t say if the spark plugs were replaced was this a oversight that you forgot to mention or you didn`t replace them??

Could be enough to make a difference.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
What kind of wires are you running ??? I had one that would throw fits with any but Toyota wires.

Do you still have the Rubber boot over the distributor ??

When it rains hard do you see any water on the floor of the truck??

In other words is the windshield leaking??

You don`t say if the spark plugs were replaced was this a oversight that you forgot to mention or you didn`t replace them??

Could be enough to make a difference.
Originally Posted by DetroitStyle
My '94 22RE pickup did the same thing after heavy rain. Turned out I had a small crack in the distributor. Fixed that and no more problems.
Wyoming, just regular wires from autozone, but it had toyota wires to begin with, still the same issue. Windshield isnt cracked, never any water inside. Plugs have not been replaced. And rubber boot? is there supposed to be one that covers the whole distributor?

And detroit, the cap has been replaced, but i know for a fact the o-ring seal is broken. we used some blue seal maker on it, but im not sure if it worked or not.

Thanks for the ideas though guys.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As per Dixie Thunder, pull your passenger side kick panel and look for a rubber grommet or plug that is missing or has a hole in it. What you describe is exactly what I experience years ago before I was led to this area of investigation by a fellow yotatech member.

Last edited by My99; 01-07-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by My99
As per Dixie Thunder, pull your passenger side kick panel and look for a rubber grommet or plug that is missing or has a hole in it. What you describe is exactly what I experience years ago before I was led to this area of investigation by a fellow yotatech member.
Alright, i'll go ahead and look at it monday when my class heads out to the shop.