86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

92 4runner key stuck in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 4runner key stuck in ignition

Well things have been good for a while with the runner, replaced the starter which was great fun! But now something that seems simple is really getting under my skin. And Alabama fans have tough skin, ha. My key will stick in the acc position when I shut the engine off. I try shifting from L to P several times, slow and fast. But will not come out. Now here is the good part. After about 1 or 2 hours I can go to the runner and the key will come right out! Go figure. I just got a new key made, tried spray graphite and nothing. Am I looking at a new ignition or am I missing something. Love this forum, helped me through the starter all the way. Thanks
Roll Tide
Old 03-03-2008, 04:56 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I had this problem last summer. As I recall, I had to unhook the battery to get the key to come out. There is a safety switch that the shifter activates when you put it in the P position. The switch is operated by a spring that was sticking or had come off entirely. Don't remember exactly. Whatever the case, it wasn't working to engage the safety release feature. So, maybe have a look at the switch. You'll have to pull the shifter indicator/console assembly off.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:02 PM

thanks, will try afterwork tomorrow. Just went out in a storm and has been 2 hours since I got home. Guess what, key came out fine. Anyway thanks for the tip.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:24 AM

Well after unhooking the positive post on battery the key did come out. I tried unsuccessfully to find the problem in the gear shift. Called a yota tech friend of mine and he said to take off the small "dice sized" white box on the ignition. Two small screws hold it on. He said this sends a signal that it is in park and key will come out. He said he and other techs had sent numerous letters to Toyota to get this removed as it has caused numerous problems. But not sure to unhook the wires that lead to the box. I just brought a wrench to work today and now unhook the battery just to get my key out now. Needless to say this is getting old. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roll Tide
Old 03-05-2008, 03:31 AM

To go along with my last post, I wonder does anyone have any pics or drawings of the 92 4runner ignition? This might help me be a little more detailed on my problem. Thanks
Old 03-05-2008, 07:23 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It's up to you, but before you go replacing parts that cost money you could test switches for continuity with a simple ohm meter. They are comparitively very inexpensive. Test the switch in the shifter console and the one for the key. If any switch is bad, it may not be visibly apparent.

There is a sticky on the first/main page of this forum. Go to the first link (4x4wire.com), click on it, and look for the link to the '93 FSM in the first post. Then, search the manual for the ignition diagram.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:28 PM

Well I am still having problems with the key stuck. I am still having to disconnect the battery to get my key out. I found the dice sized signal indicator on my ignition and took it off but still key stuck. I wonder do I need to pull off the two wires to this box to bypass the system. I was told this box lets the ignition know the runner is in park. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!