86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87 4Runner rear window issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
87 4Runner rear window issue

I've done quite a lot of reading to find out that these rear window issues are a common problem. Ive read about plenty of window issues with diagnosis but I haven't found a thread that describes my issue.

My my rear window will roll down but will not roll up. I will come back to it a few hours later, and the window will roll up. The odd part is that the issue is intermittent. It makes it harder for me to figure out.

Some pertinant information is that the issue did not arise until I removed the rear window wiper that was not working and taking up space. I've been removing a lot of unneeded components and the rear wiper is one of them for me. I know the rear wiper needs to be in the up position, otherwise the window will not go up or down. When I removed the wiper I also removed the harness that plugs in to the wiper harness in the back drivers side corner.

This is doesn't explain why the issue is intermittent, or why the window will roll down but not back up all the time.

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 12-16-2016, 08:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Key and switch or condition exist with either roll up method?
Old 12-17-2016, 12:49 AM

Just tried the switch on the console haven't tried the rear key method. Dumb of me haha...
Old 12-17-2016, 02:10 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

The fact that the window works at all means you have other problems in the circuit.

With the wiper harness un plugged the wiper safety switch has been removed from the circuit meaning the circuit is open.

So someplace else you have a intermittent short allowing the window to operate when conditions allow

On the plug you disconnected on the truck side of the connector pin # 1 a Gray/Yellow wire should be grounded .

That will keep the wiper safety closed at all times

That should cure this problem but you have problems in other areas that the window worked at all.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:48 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
4Runner rear window troubleshooting
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...arWindow.shtml

30 year old truck, crap wears out plus needlessly pulling out portions of circuits with out knowing how they may be interconnected can fubar stuff
Old 12-17-2016, 11:27 AM

I am honestly new to vehicle electronics. I did not consider the leval of connectivity between the rear wiper and the window before removing the wiper and circuit. I will ground the wire from the unplugged harness and reassess.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:32 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam Latone
Just tried the switch on the console haven't tried the rear key method. Dumb of me haha...
Any update whether tailgate key works all the time?

Originally Posted by Sam Latone
... I will ground the wire from the unplugged harness and reassess.
Sam,
To completely eliminate doubt on rear wiper OUT OF PARK sensor, simply disconnect connector, RIGHT AT the wiper assembly and run like that for a while.

Also THOROUGHLY inspect flex harness between body and tailgate.