Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.0, black box by coolant resivor, what is it and do I need it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3.0, black box by coolant resivor, what is it and do I need it?

There is a black box with a large line in and out that is right next to my coolant resivor. The plastic broke off and I zip tied it in there, what exactly is this thing for? It has a large hose that hooks up to the top of my engine, it looks like part of an EGR system perhaps?? Any one?
Old 02-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Exclamation found a picture

Here is a link, the 3rd picture down shows exactly what Im talking about!

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...engine-156361/
Old 02-09-2009, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's another pic out of the truck, but I don't know its exact purpose:

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-09-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:33 AM

In the pic, that is the intake ducting. It goes from your air flow meter, to 1 side of the intake silencer/resonator box, then another duct runs into your intake.
Name:  DSC02121.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  139.3 KB

Don't hate on the mad paint skills!!!! Lol
Old 02-09-2009, 08:59 AM

i think you might mean this part:

Name:  2849005620042310107S600x600Q85.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  48.4 KB

all i know is it's part of the air intake. it's sold as one piece here:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...parttype=10435

hope that helps.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by spoonist
i think you might mean this part:

all i know is it's part of the air intake. it's sold as one piece here:
hope that helps.
Toyota calls it a intake resonator they do list it as seperate parts
bottom part is part number 17893-65011
top part is 17894-65010
it circulates fumes from the crankcase into the intake system to be burned in the engine it is unmetered due to the fact that the vapors can and will contain oil that would damage the MAF. It is an emmisions item and can be plugged/removed.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure it's the resonator/silencer.

And it has nothing to do with crankcase ventilation, that is a different part. All it is supposed to do is make things quieter.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...uestion-87295/

Name:  86824p02L-1.gif
Views: 696
Size:  48.5 KB

Last edited by T-1000; 02-09-2009 at 09:28 AM.

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak
In the pic, that is the intake ducting. It goes from your air flow meter, to 1 side of the intake silencer/resonator box, then another duct runs into your intake.

Don't hate on the mad paint skills!!!! Lol
I believe he meant the strange shape black box under the black rectangle that you drew on your picture.

That would be the resonator. It is part of the PAIR (Pulsed Secondary Air Injection) system. Air from the filter box goes through the resonator before making it's way to the PAIR Reed Valve. The PAIR Reed valve controls the amount and timing of atmospheric (intake) air that gets drawn into the exhaust ports to help speed up oxidation (This system usually only operates on a cold engine and in certain situations during deceleration). The goal being to reduce HC and CO emissions, by allowing combustion to continue as the exhaust gasses go down the exhaust system on their way to the catalytic converter. This allows the combustion of the leftover fuel that doesn't get burned in the combustion chamber.

To answer your question, since the PAIR system operates with pulses (exhaust gas goes above and below atmospheric pressure as the exhaust valves open/close), the resonator is included in the system to help baffle out the pulses that would be present in your intake air if the resonator was not there. I can not tell you what would happen if the PAIR system was connected directly to your air filter box without the resonator, but I assume maybe the truck would run a bit rougher when the PAIR system was operating? If the hose supplying the PAIR reed valve is plugged off, it will not have any effect on how the truck runs, but emissions will go up (especially when the engine is cold).

So what exactly broke on the resonator? If the resonator case actually broke, you're letting in un-filtered air into your exhaust system. It may lead to your O2 sensors and catalytic converter getting dirty quicker (I don't know what happens to dust in the extreme temperatures of the exhaust system). Also, I don't think there's any sort of check valve between the resonator and the filter box, so if the resonator case is broken, I would think you'd be letting some unfiltered air into your intake system also. If you're not going to replace the broken resonator (assuming the case is broken), at least disconnect and plug the two hoses going to it.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 02-09-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bobzombie
Toyota calls it a intake resonator they do list it as seperate parts
bottom part is part number 17893-65011
top part is 17894-65010
it circulates fumes from the crankcase into the intake system to be burned in the engine it is unmetered due to the fact that the vapors can and will contain oil that would damage the MAF. It is an emmisions item and can be plugged/removed.
You got the name of the part right, but it has nothing to do with the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system.

EDITED: to make wording less confusing.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 02-09-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
You got the name of the part right, but you're confusing the description of what it does with the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system.
You are right it is not crankcase.I looked at the vacuum piping film and If you follow the hard lines they travel around to the pass side and connect to various vsv's
Old 02-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

Exclamation Spoonist is correct...

The part I am talking about is the one that Spoonist has outlined in yellow.. I have a K&N intake and all of the stock air box is gone... So it is safe to just remove it and plug the line or just connect them together??? I don't want to gum up my intake or trash my MAFS, its just loose and zip tied to my coolant bottle bracket right now!
Old 02-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ilovemountains
The part I am talking about is the one that Spoonist has outlined in yellow.. I have a K&N intake and all of the stock air box is gone... So it is safe to just remove it and plug the line or just connect them together??? I don't want to gum up my intake or trash my MAFS, its just loose and zip tied to my coolant bottle bracket right now!
And the same part/ parts I am speaking of!
Old 02-09-2009, 10:21 AM

If you had given all the details at the beginning, people's responses would have been more helpful. We were assuming that we were dealing with a stock system. You haven't been clear on what's broken yet. Is the resonator broken, or still intact? Where is the air hose that used to be connected to the airbox from the resonator connected to now, or did you just leave it disconnected?

If your resonator is broken (cracked), you have two options.

1: Remove the resonator and plug the line that goes to the PAIR Reed valve. Your truck will work fine, but your emissions will be higher when the engine is cold.

2: Replace the resonator and connect the inlet hose to the resonator downstream of your K&N intake (will take some plumbing changes to make this happen). This will keep your emissions in the normal range (assuming your PAIR system is working to begin with).

If your resonator is not broken (cracked), you have two options.

1: Remove the resonator and plug the line that goes to the PAIR Reed valve. Your truck will work fine, but your emissions will be higher when the engine is cold.

2: Connect the inlet hose to the resonator downstream of your K&N intake (will take some plumbing changes to make this happen). This will keep your emissions in the normal range (assuming your PAIR system is working to begin with).

As you can see, the only difference in your two options (depending on whether or not your resonator is actually broken), is whether or not you have to replace your resonator if you go with option #2.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

Im confused!

I know its not the resonator portion of the stock intake... Is it part of the crank case ventilation system? Can it be removed all together or should I just try to buy a used one and replace mine since the mounting tabs broke off!!! ????
Old 02-09-2009, 10:25 AM

I know its not the resonator portion of the stock intake... Is it part of the crank case ventilation system? Can it be removed all together or should I just try to buy a used one and replace mine since the mounting tabs broke off!!! ????
Take a bit of time and read through all the posts above. Your answer is there... I'll summarize... The part that spoonist circled in yellow is indeed the resonator... Yes, it is part of the stock intake system... No it has nothing to do with the crank case ventilation system... It is part of the PAIR system... And yes you can remove it, or replace it with a new one and plumb it in correctly to your new intake system... your choice... Instructions are above.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 02-09-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry!

I think the black box that is in line with the intake is the one your thinking that is the resonator. Im talking about the other one in the picture circled in yellow, my K&N supplied a bracket to attach it to, its just dangling by the 1" diameter rubber tubes and a zip tie!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 10:31 AM

I think the black box that is in line with the intake is the one your thinking that is the resonator. Im talking about the other one in the picture circled in yellow, my K&N supplied a bracket to attach it to, its just dangling by the 1" diameter rubber tubes and a zip tie!!!

I pitched mine and bypassed it when I did my K&N intake. Haven't had any problems.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As mentioned, you were told what it is- resonator for the PAIR system.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

This is the part/parts(the parts spoonist circled in yellow) I listed the part numbers for. It is two pieces (they have like a tounge and groove fit/dovetail) Toyota calls the bottom piece a intake air resonator and the upper piece a resonator bracket. and they are apart of the manifold air injection system system.

Last edited by Bobzombie; 02-09-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:40 AM

No... the black box circled in yellow above is the resonator for the PAIR system. (that is the last time I will say that... in this thread, anyways... )

If you left it connected to the PAIR Reed valve (where the hose goes on the passenger side of the engine), then you should also have the other hose connected to your new intake (downstream of the air filter) [which it sounds like you have done?]

so I understand that the only thing that is broken is part of the bracket to bolt it securely? K&N supplied a bracket so that you can bolt the resonator to your new intake (because it used to be bolted directly to the airbox), and you can't use the bracket because of some broken plastic part (that the bracket would bolt to) on the resonator?

Is that right?

Quick Reply: 3.0, black box by coolant resivor, what is it and do I need it?