Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re head gasket help!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you can get everything back together and have the timing work correctly. If you didn't disassemble anything and didn't move anything then I guess it wouldn't matter. But frankly, that isn't going to happen. In order for the cam to open the right valves at the right time everything has to be lined up properly from the start. The way to do that is to start from TDC so you have a reference point and all the marks on the other parts (cam, cam sprocket, t chain, crank, distributor, etc) are referenced from that point.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a 10 bolts that hold the head on and there is a pattern to remove the said bolts. And ya gotta lift it not slide the head off.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:17 AM

Yeah, so did the tdc and It all matched up perfectly! It was A LOT easier once I started doing it, everything everyone said was there (the notch the dot on the sprocket etc..)!
So thanks for all the help.
I got the bolt off for the sprocket, but the sprocket and chain won't slide off..
The 93 manual says to just take it off after the bolt, but it doesn't budge..
Am I not pulling hard enough or forgetting a step??
Old 06-05-2009, 11:38 AM

It's been a while on mine, but it seems like it slipped right off. Sounds like you're ready. Distributor is out, right? Try some wiggling side to side and front to back in case it's still tensed up on something. If that doesn't work, some light, and I mean light, love taps with a hammer and drift if there is some baked on gunk maybe. Slowly work up to more force using your best judgement, I wouldn't go crazy on it.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:02 PM

So went back to garage to give a few more tugs and got it off. however I broke the top bracket thing on the right plastic chain guide.
Do you think it will be fine like that or should I replace it?

I got the head off!!!!!!! Man that HG looks like . haha

I would still have to take off the pulley and water pump and timing cover to fix it I'm guessing??

And what kind of cleaner should I use to clean all my parts??

Like the head with the rocker arm assembly,, the surface where the HG goes,, intake and exhaust manifolds,, Throttle body (I have TB cleaner),, etc..???????
Attached Thumbnails 22re head gasket help!!!!!!!!-dscn4446.jpg   22re head gasket help!!!!!!!!-dscn4445.jpg  
Old 06-05-2009, 01:42 PM

Can't really tell from your pic and I hate to tell you to pull the t cover, but if you have any q's about it's condition and you're already in this far...

It does look like your guide is a little chewed up there though, so give it strong consideration. If you get new guides a lot of places sell the steel backed drivers side including engnbldr and most folks report good results. The only place that I know of that sells steel backed for both sides is these guys:
http://www.doaracingengines.com/page13/page13.html
and they have had a lot of bad publicity on the boards but they have also had some satisfied customers so for one small part it might be worth taking a chance. You might wait for others to chime in here about 1) DOA and 2) if steel backed guides for both sides can be sourced anywhere else. If you go with Ted (engnbldr) they are very helpful with explaining what is necessary and why.

A question I have for you. What's going on here?

Is that a broken off bolt? And was it that way when you tore down or did you break it? If it was already there it could have contributed to your failure.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:58 PM

No it isn't. It was just oil haha. The camera made it look like it was solid didn't it?
what would I have to do to get the timing cover off?
Do that beaker bar thing with hitting the starter to the crankshaft bolt, (i think that's what its called) then take off water pump and timing cover?

Any suggestions to cleaners? I have brake cleaner, but not sure If it's not safe for some parts.

Also I didn't have the bolt in front of the rocker arm assembly as shown in the pic
Attached Thumbnails 22re head gasket help!!!!!!!!-dscn4449.jpg  
Old 06-05-2009, 08:04 PM

You can use general degreaser for the heavy gunk but yeah a final spray off with brake cleaner when you're done is a good idea as it leaves no solutes when it dries.

Since you have it apart you can't do the starter thing. You'll need a big breaker bar and probably a chain or strap wrench like this:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a
as well as a helper to get it now. Remember to wrap the pulley with something (I like strips of old bike inner tube. You'll also probably need a puller to get the pulley off like this:
http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdengi05.html#2291
Old 06-09-2009, 01:57 PM

Sorry for not posting in the past days!
been working on the truck and work.

So I have pretty much everything back together, but I never took a picture of this one hose and I can't find any place for it to go !!!!!!!!

Can anyone please please help. Describing it would be great or if someone has a pic of it??? that would be even better!!

Its between the charcoal canister and egr valve
Attached Thumbnails 22re head gasket help!!!!!!!!-dscn4505.jpg   22re head gasket help!!!!!!!!-dscn4506.jpg  
Old 06-09-2009, 05:55 PM

It looks like it goes to the underside of your fuel pressure regulator. My pics kinda suck but hopefully they give you the idea.

The pressure reg from above

The hose you have attached to hardline on the firewall

The other end of the hose. You can barely see the clamp.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:29 PM

thanks. I won't have time to get another look at it until tomorrow afternoon. Give ya an update when I do.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:51 PM

You nailed it!!!!!!! Thanks for the pics!!

So I changed the oil and filled it up with coolant before I gave it the first crank.

It would just crank and crank, but after a few tries got it to stay on with the gas pedal down a little.

Then I managed to get it to stay on without any throttle, but as soon as I do give it throttle it revs really high and then idles low and dies... When I try to save it from dying by giving it some gas it seems as if the gas doesn't even work and it will still die.

Any thoughts of what could be going on??

And how long do you think I will have to run it before all the white exhaust smoke will go away??

Right now it's still coming out fairly strong. I keep checking the oil to make sure that the HG didn't fail again
Old 06-11-2009, 03:37 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
if it has warmed up and it's revs usually it's air in the coolant. burp it and you should be alright.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:18 AM

So I started it up again and let it run the idle was a little hesitant and I had to give it gas to start it. I'm thinking it may be my cold start fuel injector???

Also my engine started to get on the hot side just from sitting there for 10 minutes!!!!!
Is the fan behind the radiator supposed to be turning when the car is on or only when you are starting it??? or??

I have enough coolant/water so I'm not sure what the problem could be. Thermostat??

Also the idle was rough before the HG blew. But it was still drivable, now when I put it into reverse or drive [auto tranny !!!!!!] It will stall right away. Any ideas on that???

The smoke did start to go away, but didn't want to keep it running due to the overheating thing. Don't want to do another HG replacement
Old 06-11-2009, 06:18 PM

UPDATE:
Replaced thermostat and pcv valve since the grommet that the guy put in wasn't the right size!! GRRRRR!!!!!

in the morning noticed that my belt was a little loose that is connected to the alternator and fan and the crankshaft (i think that's the pulley?)
So i went to tighten it by moving the alternator over in the bracket, and saw that the belt was off!!
I tried moving the alternator over by hand but didn't have enough leverage to make it tight enough so i got my ratchet and an extension to push it over by wedging it.

HERE'S THE BEST PART!!!!!!!!!!
forgot to unhook the negative cable to the battery (SCARY) And when the ratchet hit a part of the alternator sparks shot out.
Now all the lights inside my truck won't turn on nor will it try to strart at all!!!

Headlights still turn on so i know it's not the battery.

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP??????????

Hoping it's an easy fix like a fuse or something
Old 06-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Good luck with your HG but please don't start anymore new threads on the same thing. The other thread was deleted.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:08 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Fuses
Old 06-12-2009, 11:40 AM

Is it absolutly going to be fuses? How can I check?
I've already looked at the ones under the hood and they don't look burnt. My light when you open the door still turns on also. Just none on my instrument panel or radio. I tried jumping it but it didn't even try!
Old 06-12-2009, 11:50 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
what about fuses in cab,,, near left foot
Old 06-12-2009, 07:37 PM

it was the alt fuse. Thanks again for saying fuses because it made me double check.

I can only turn my car on by giving it gas. And it will stall if I don't give it gas. The idle screw is loosened all the way.

Any ideas??
I'm thinking the egr valve, iac valve or mass air flow sensor. Any ways to test these??

Quick Reply: 22re head gasket help!!!!!!!!