Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1st gen anti-theft???

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit

All I got.

Problem with that is you have to lug around a steering wheel. You would look kind of silly going to the store and in the checkout line holding a steering wheel

James
Old 09-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JamesD
Problem with that is you have to lug around a steering wheel. You would look kind of silly going to the store and in the checkout line holding a steering wheel

James
Not half as silly as when you leave the store and your damn truck has been stolen.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:10 PM

Not half as silly as when you leave the store and your damn truck has been stolen.

Not if you disconnect the power to the coil!
Old 09-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Banned

Not if you disconnect the power to the coil!
Any bonehead can reconnect the power to the coil. I seriously doubt they are going to have a spare steering wheel.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my remote lock kit has a starter disable thing on it. the doors have to be unlocked by the remote only for the truck to start idk if it would stop someone.

but hey after they get in well they have to know how to drive 5 speed for one and the best anti theft device is the toyota factory e-brake lever everyone i let drive my truck can never figure out how to put the e-brake down.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Your not in Cali, Oregon or Washington
My truck sits outside for days with the windows rolled down, doors unlocked, keys in ignition and the truck easy to get out....
Old 09-12-2009, 02:49 PM

Relocate the 'Open Circuit Relay' so it's easy to get to and still hidden. Then pop the relay out when you leave and throw it in you pocket. It's a lot easier to take with you than a steering wheel. You can still jump across the relay if you know what wires need to be jumped, but how many people know Toyota wiring that well?
Old 09-12-2009, 03:08 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ramtime
Relocate the 'Open Circuit Relay' so it's easy to get to and still hidden. Then pop the relay out when you leave and throw it in you pocket. It's a lot easier to take with you than a steering wheel. You can still jump across the relay if you know what wires need to be jumped, but how many people know Toyota wiring that well?
The thieves that are stealing toyotas .

They are stealing trucks and runners that have alarms and cut off switches in santa cruz right now, 7 last week that I was told .

They think they are towing them , not 100% but more than likely being towed from the driveways and front yards.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

Take the engine out at night.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:57 PM

Any bonehead can reconnect the power to the coil. I seriously doubt they are going to have a spare steering wheel.

You think they are going to spend the time to diagnose a no start? How are they going to determine what wire it was that will not make the truck start? You hide the wiring so no one can tell. If they really want the truck, a missing steering wheel will not stop them either. Also you can use two vise grips to steer if the wheel is missing.

James
Old 09-12-2009, 04:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Put a "boot" on it, or Kryptonite cable through the rims and around the frame. Won't stop them from dragging it, but it'll make a lot of noise.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Banned

a missing steering wheel will not stop them either. Also you can use two vise grips to steer if the wheel is missing.

James
With the Grant combo I posted the steering wheel is removed, locks the column, and there is nothing to use vise grips on even if you could get the steel plate cap off that locks in place on the end of the column.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:16 PM

Theft isnt too much of an issue up here in N. Idaho, everybody and their mothers packs heat.
For my first gen, I removed the clutch pedal sensor. So now you have to press the clutch cancel switch to start it. Nothing fancy. If I go over to Spokane topless I put the transfer case in neutral when I park.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
REmovable steering wheels scare me

Ive seem them pop off while driving, that'd get the ol blood pumpin!

My buddy puts "support your local hells angels" stickers on his truck
Old 09-12-2009, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tofer
since i have my 89 fixed and on the road, i decided to pull to top off for this last week of sun... BUT now i am paranoid about it... i've pulled the ECU for tonight, but wanted to know if there was any other anti-theft ideas ya'll have for protecting a topless 1st gens
Just installed an alarm system in my 1st gen and I love it. It has an adjustable shock sensor in addition to door pin switch control. For going topless a proximity type sensor would make more sense. I wish the sales person would have suggested that but its my fault for not doing my homework. On one thread I came across he recommended having 2 sensors: one in front and one in the rear.
I work with an ex car thief. He spent 7 years in prison (the one by Browns Camp) and has shared some of his techniques that I definitely would not post online. Most of my mods have been used stuff but I went with a new alarm to try and stay a step ahead of the thieves. Between the alarm and full coverage insurance and common sense I feel better about leaving my rig on the streets of Portland.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:15 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i am going to car toys today to price alarms... and i need to call my insurance to make sure i have enough coverage to cover theft. i have been pullin hte ECU at night and while i know true "professional" car jackers will carry spare ecu's it make mee feel better at night for now.. the rain is suppose to come by weds or thru this week so it wont be top
Old 09-13-2009, 07:54 AM

just sleep in it,

a buddy of mine had his 84 with a 4.3 stolen from his front yard......a few days later we found it out in the forest with the frame cut at the firewall and the motor,trans, tranny, and sfa missing(this is a common way to find our stolen rigs). He packs heat and is very paranoid its surprising he missed them stealing it.

best bet is lock it up in a garage(out of sight)

but a professional crew of yota theifs will get what they want no matter what you do to deter them, only alarms and kill switches will fool the joy riders
Old 09-13-2009, 09:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
yeah the tow truck thieves suck! but you could locker in 4wd b4 you go to sleep, so when their trying to winch it on the flatbed youll hear it screechin, or if they got the more crafty system that just lifts up the rear and they can take off itll do it around the block
Old 09-13-2009, 09:31 AM

Take a thick gauge wire hook it to your coil wire, and run that wire to the drivers seat then fray the wire out just under your seat covers. when the truck is tried to fire the person in the passenger seat is gonna get hit with all the spark in his ass. then have a combine that with a fuel shutoff switch.

Or you could always just rig up power to the doors. so when someone touches them they will get the piss shocked out of em. But then the only thing you have to worry about is some little old lady brushes up against your truck tryin to get into her rig at walmart and wam gets the piss shokcked out of her and dies of a heart attack.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:48 AM

we should just go back to hanging theifs in the town sqaure that way all this theivery crap wont be such an issue

Last edited by Plumbrbob; 09-13-2009 at 10:04 AM.

Quick Reply: 1st gen anti-theft???