Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1st Gen 4Runner ripoff

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
j2the-e that's awesome! I am going to keep my eye out for more of these, for sure. Lucky to find the one you did for $1500 in Phoenix! Everything else for the past year that I've found has either been in good shape and expensive, or reasonably priced and a total junker. Or, some that are junkers and still overpriced...

Where is your shop in North Phoenix? Might be cool to come check it out. I've got a mechanic friend with more tools than me coming along to check the compression with me, hopefully soon, and I guess I'll just go from there.

Expecting no problems with compression and stuff, how much better do you guys think I will be able to make this thing? I initially assumed that I would at least be able to get it up to the condition of my current truck, but with the 4Runners being heavier and all, will it make a huge difference?

As for the cost, also: I don't really mind that it's that expensive, especially for the condition it's in. I am confident I could sell my truck for close to that much, and would probably only have to eat a few hundred bucks, which I would be willing to do for an *upgrade*. What I don't want to do is end up with a vehicle that I can't get into better shape than what I have. I wouldn't mind spending money to upgrade my current truck if that's what I end up with, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a new vehicle just to get it to the condition of what I already have, you know? That would be silly. If it's just tune-ups and minor mods, like what I did to mine, I don't mind. Does the 4Runner vs. Pickup make a huge difference?

I agree that the 1st step is definitely to get some monitoring tools on that thing and check the condition, other than simply test driving it and looking under the hood.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:35 PM

And if I do end up getting it, or sticking with my truck for that matter, I know where I'll take it if I need some advice! I'm in Tempe but drive all over the valley pretty regularly, especially East and North Phoenix.

Last edited by AZ-YOTA; 09-13-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm on Deer valley near I-17.
I dont think they are that much heavier than the next gen pickups. I never had any issues towing with mine up the rim. Just can't expect to go 75 loaded down.
Honestly, if I had to chose between a 3slow and 22re, I'd go with the 22re. I only did the v6 specifically because the 3.4 swap is easier. I've owned 3 1st gen runners. 87 22re, 86 22re and 89 v6. My 87 had more power than the 3.0. Just an LCE header and TRD cam. I beat the snot out of that thing and it never failed me. Better MPGs too. And my 87 was a little beat up so I didn't care about jumping in it with mud on my shoes, leaving the top off in the rain, etc...My 89 I am a little paranoid about....
Old 09-13-2013, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by j2the-e
I only did the v6 specifically because the 3.4 swap is easier.
That's one of my main reasons for wanting it, too. It's something I've been wanting to do to my pickup, especially since a friend of mine has a 96 Runner that he has been talking about getting rid of for a while. I figure this 88 Runner is basically my truck minus a dedicated bed and with 2 seats added, so it would be easy to deal with.

My 87 had more power than the 3.0. Just an LCE header and TRD cam. I beat the snot out of that thing and it never failed me. Better MPGs too.
That's awesome. My dad's 22R has been a good engine as well, and I was really surprised when this 4Runner seemed to have even less power than his pickup. Pretty pointless having a V6 when it performs like that. Nice job on the LCE headers though! I'll look into that as an option if I end up with a 22RE. My truck needs a new clutch, and the LCE Pro clutch and flywheel is the first thing on the menu (if I don't get a new vehicle before my clutch is completely gone). I just don't want a completely slow POS when my truck is so good to me.

I guess I'll just go check it out this weekend and see what happens...
Old 09-13-2013, 01:41 PM

It took me 6 months of searching to find my 87 runner, and the 89 just kind of fell into my lap. It was a deal I happened upon and just couldn't pass up. Don't settle, just keep searching!
If you end up needing a clutch and you're keeping your truck, marlin crawler's kits and awesome! I wouldn't spend the money though if you are just going to end up selling the truck
Old 09-13-2013, 01:45 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
If you don't mind driving a couple hours to save a few grand here are a few I found on a quick craigslist search all in San Diego or LA:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/cto/4056073957.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/4041842142.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...065226914.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...052224805.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...050222802.html

That one you found is pretty clean though. A compression check is really easy to do. You can rent a tester for free from an auto store.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:45 PM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
Just hold out and keep looking. Unless you can get them down to $2500. 1st gens with a v6 aren't all that common but they do pop up from time to time
Not as clean, but a LOT cheaper!
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/4032917014.html
no offense, but i'd buy the one the OP posted at the asking price before i'd buy the one you linked to. this one is beat on, whereas the other one appears to be well taken care of. wouldn't be surprised if the frame was tweaked, judging from the smacked front and sides. i'd be much happier paying $1500 more not to have to worry about that. maybe it's just me. :shrug:

1st gens tend to be more expensive in the northeast, too, as decent ones are hard to find. frankly, if i found the 1st one up here, i'd already own it at that price.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by wallytoo
no offense, but i'd buy the one the OP posted at the asking price before i'd buy the one you linked to. this one is beat on, whereas the other one appears to be well taken care of. wouldn't be surprised if the frame was tweaked, judging from the smacked front and sides. i'd be much happier paying $1500 more not to have to worry about that. maybe it's just me. :shrug:

1st gens tend to be more expensive in the northeast, too, as decent ones are hard to find. frankly, if i found the 1st one up here, i'd already own it at that price.
No offense taken! I was only pointing out that they are not that difficult to come by here. May take 6 months to find the right deal, but they do pop up from time to time.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:42 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
that, of course, is probably the most important part. having the patience, or ability, to wait for the "right" deal. those likely come up more often in the southwest than in the northeast.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:46 PM

Looks good, 4500 seems a little high but looking back on my build a clean body like that would have been worth the extra cash. I know my next build I'll be looking for a clean body and bad motor.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:12 PM

Thats a good guy. I would hold out until you find the one you want.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:52 AM

bumping my thread with a little update

So, it's been a week or two since the test drive of the original 4Runner I posted. Since then a few more have popped up here and there as I check Craigslist every day, all listed at $4000, so it seems like that's the going rate for these things in the Southwest/Phoenix area, regardless of their condition.

Coming to grips with the fact that I'm going to shell out $4000 for a new toy, I come to you for some input on WHICH toy will give me the best bang for my buck.

Contestant #1: The original truck.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/ctd/4057387868.html
3.0 V6, 5spd, veeeery clean ride. Saggy butt problems but not a biggie since I'm planning on suspension upgrades anyways. I'm a fan of this one because it's essentially my current truck, with a 4Runner body. The real problem is the sluggishness, which I talked about earlier in the thread as being possible compression issues. I haven't gone and tested it yet with my buddy's compression/vacuum testers, because I figured I'd wait it out and see what else is out there first... which brings me to...

Contestant #2: The "new kid in town."
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4061703696.html
Also looks like a very clean ride, and it just so happens to be white as well. 22RE with a... wait for it... 4spd AUTO. I've been doing some research on the 4spd Auto on these things and other than finding that it's got a chain-driven Tcase as opposed to geared (which I don't mind because I'll likely regear at the diffs anyways) I've also found out that this combo is pretty slow. As a user on *I think* Pirate4x4 put it "the 22RE Auto is only useful if you drive down hill all the time..." which I can see as an exaggeration, but it seems to be a pretty common disposition towards the Auto trans. Anybody have any experience with this combo??? I'm not at all opposed to an Auto if it's in better mechanical shape than my other options, but I do enjoy driving a 5spd. Not a big deal either way for me, though, as long as it's not a total pig. I have a test drive scheduled with this guy for tonight.

Contestant #3: I call it the "Dirty Boy" of the group.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/4049172994.html
Looks alright, and has the really common 22RE/5spd setup that most people seem to have. My only problem with this one is that while it is maybe "lifted" and has new rims and tires, it's the same price as the others and obviously in not as good of shape. The fact that it might have small upgrades and stuff doesn't appeal to me as much, since I'll be doing a lot of modding myself anyways, so I'd rather start with a cleaner stock truck than a less clean truck with a few mods if, I'm going to be paying the same price, ya know? I'll be doing suspension and stuff on it anyways, so the little mods he may have done don't make the truck worth any more to me.

So which one looks like the best deal to you guys? They are all effectively the same price, with a pretty good range of different options, and in varying shape, so I'm wondering which one I should go with. It looks like ~$4000 is the going rate for these vehicles in my area, so I've sort of come to grips with it... There *is* another one up that I didn't post here, because it's $3500, pretty beat up, and has the ugly-as-sin red interior... I'm not quite THAT desperate yet...

Any input is appreciated! Mostly on that 22RE Auto setup, if anyone has experience with it in the truck or 4Runner. It's getting to be top-off weather here in Phoenix, making me really want to get one one of these and start wrenching.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:52 AM

The auto truck looks nice to me. You can always do a 5spd swap later if you want. If I was not planning on a motor swap, I'd choose the 22re over the 3.0 all day long. If I was thinking 3.4 in the future, I'd hold out and find a v6 truck. Much less work to do the swap.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:31 PM

Depends what you are looking for in your 4Runner really. If you want a simple off-roading weekend warrior kind of truck than a 22RE will fit the bill nicely. Manual is better than Auto, better MPG's and power.

If you want to be able to climb mountains, drive highway speeds with no issues (and larger tires) then I recommend the 3VZE V6. Both engines have the HG issues, not just the V6.

1. Concerned about the compression issues. Might be simple, might not. Expect to pay more in repairs if it's bad.

2. Looks clean, solid ride. Would be a great off-roading vehicle and a good buy. It'll be as slow as a slug though, up to you.

3. CEL, possible issues since he just rebuilt the engine. Might have put it together wrong. Not really worth the $4000 he's asking for because of those unknowns. Also, heater core replacements are a PAIN.

If you had to pick, I'd say 2. is your safest bet. Test drive it and if the 22RE auto is ok for you in the power dept. then buy it. If not, I highly recommend just waiting for the right one to come up. Don't jump the gun now, just to see a better one show up just a month later!
Old 09-20-2013, 12:33 PM

That 86 auto is beautiful. I bought an 85 auto 4 cyl in decent shape for 3k, but that one is immaculate!

It tops out at 60 for me with 33's, and is very slow to accelerate.

However, if I were to take it on the trail, I think it would be overall better than my manual 4 runner with a 4 cyl.

The 4 cyl does not put out much torque with stock gears, and in 4 low, my manual Trans chugs a bit when I let off the clutch without giving any gas. This would have been a huge problem on trails I have been on in the past.

Last edited by crawler85; 09-20-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:03 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
The 3rd, the gray 87 has a manual transmission and a fresh motor. The new tires and wheels are worth at least $600. New seats and carpet would be a lot cheaper than changing engines and transmissions. The only way to make the decision is to go drive them. As you know sellers often stretch the truth in their ads.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
If you are determined to do the 3.4 swap get the V6. Motor mounts and wiring harness will be what you need.

I prefer the 22re with the standard so the other two trucks is what you decide. A truck with the auto is slowww. If I did like the auto truck, I would still swap in the manual tranny, but that is just me.

You were asking about the auto, did I to mention it is slowwww. You were saying you were disappointed with the 3.0 power, disappointed in a 22re with an auto is saying it nicely.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-20-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:03 PM

Future plans would determine which I would choose. For the 3.4 swap I would choose the first one, anything else the 3rd would be my choice. I know from experience working at 5000ft and living at 7000ft in elevation, and working on all of these for the last 9 years, the 22re/auto lacks power and defines slow. The 3.0/ auto is only slightly better and the 22re/manual and 3.0/manual are really close in stock form speed wise but unless the electronics are starting to fail (my reason for the 3rz swap) the 22re takes the top place due to reliability. As to price, it seems in line with Albuquerque's prices, The majority that show up in Albuquerque seem more on the project side like this http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/4076462743.html
Old 09-20-2013, 05:10 PM

I don't agree with only buying a 3.0L if you plan to swap it later. If you want a 3.4L so bad, just buy a Taco or 3rd Gen 4Runner
Old 09-20-2013, 05:54 PM

Just got back from the gym... and wow! Thanks for the responses everyone!

I've definitely got some test driving to go do, and some choices to make. Unfortunately, the seller of Contestant #2 backed out and I didn't get to go drive it this evening (hence the gym time) so I'll have to wait on that...

I am thinking that unless the 22RE Auto REALLY blows me away for some reason, and the 3.0 has some major issues, I'll probably go with the 3.0 5 spd. I already have tires for this thing that I was planning on putting on my pickup- 33x12.5 DuraTrac Wranglers- so putting them on the Auto would probably make it even slower getting up into the mountains. Not that I don't mind driving 65 on the highway, uphill, but I don't want to be going like 50. Thats just kind of lame...

Well... what's easier: a 3.4 swap from an auto onto a 3.0 5spd??? or a 5spd swap onto a 22RE Auto?

Quick Reply: 1st Gen 4Runner ripoff