84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

what to do with my 22re?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what to do with my 22re?

ok i blew up my 22re and ive striped it down and im just wondering wat would u do with it wat mods or internal parts and if you would do forged rods or not and im thinkin about paintin the block and everything hemi orange and ive got preaty much an unlimited budget but all ive got to do is save up for parts so more money means longer it will take to get me out wheelin and wat is a good flywheel is or possibly doin a lightined one alright thanks
Old 08-04-2006, 11:53 PM

forged rods really arnt nesesary and as for the flywheel there is no use getting a lightened one. Lightened flywheels just make it spool up faster and are used fro a faster launch in the racing world. If you would have search you probably would have found all of this really easily. If your just rebuilding dont do anything super difficult because if you go to crazy why bother with a 22re when wit hthe amoutn of money you go go buy a small block crate motor.

Just have your flywheel surface and block and head surface bore pistons .20 over and abey go with the lc engineering ef power kit or whatever it is. Theres no use going way overboard.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:27 AM

I would just rebuild with the stock stuff. if you want more power, just get a cam to go along with your build up. if you don't already have this, get a header and at least a K&N drop in. If you don't have smog or the smog nazi CA emissions, I have a cam I could ship to you for 100. this is the sepcs.
http://www.cranecams.com/?show=brows...tType=camshaft
Old 08-05-2006, 01:46 PM

ok i wont do a crate motor because of gas and if i were to my friends got a 383stroker and i would drop that in and ill let u know about that cam its sounds like a good deal and wat headers would u sugest or does anyone make a full exhaust kit
Old 08-05-2006, 04:15 PM

I bought a doug thorely header and I just went to the local muffler shop and bought a magnaflow and went with all new 2.2" piping. there is a greadt thread with all the headers and cat back exhaust listed. I just can't find it right now.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:53 PM

how does the magnaflow sound is it nice and deep or more raspy like a 350z cause my buddys got flowmaster on his yota and it sounds alright but not wat im lookin for and its on a 3.slow engine do u know if it sounds different on a 22re
Old 08-06-2006, 04:39 AM

well to me it sounds like any other 4cyl. you won't get a V8 sound out of it. but then again, i can give 2 ˟˟˟˟˟˟ about the sound aslong as it performs.

as for sounding like a 350z? what do you mean? all the Zs I have heard, both turbo and NA don't really sound raspy, but then again I'm always on the infield of the drift track and I don't hear much but loudness. bit that's neither here nor there.

try and get a prefab cat back instead of custom piping and it might not have the raspy sound.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me apologize in advance for this reply:

Originally Posted by neilan
forged rods really arnt nesesary
Actually, they're absolutely necessary on the 22r/22re/22rte.
Of course, they come that way stock.

and as for the flywheel there is no use getting a lightened one. Lightened flywheels just make it spool up faster and are used fro a faster launch in the racing world.
Faster acceleration maybe, due to less rotational mass, just like running light wheels. Difference in a launch? I doubt it.. It's harder to lanch a light flywheel vehicle in my experience AND a light flywheel carries less kinetic energy which can be a big deal on a marginal HP vehicle.

My advice is stay away from a lightened flywheel.. It makes the vehicle a lot more difficult to drive on the street and is of limited performance advantage. LC sells heavier flywheels to help simulate the feeling of torque off the line.

If you would have search you probably would have found all of this really easily. If your just rebuilding dont do anything super difficult because if you go to crazy why bother with a 22re when wit hthe amoutn of money you go go buy a small block crate motor.
At least that much is true, you can get a pretty substanital hp crate V8 for not that much cash. OF course, getting it into a toyota without substantial fabrication skills and/or upgrading the complete driveline to support that torque makes the project a lot more expensive than just the cost of the motor.

Just have your flywheel surface and block and head surface bore pistons .20 over and abey go with the lc engineering ef power kit or whatever it is. Theres no use going way overboard.
Please reference said "Lc engineering ef power kit". I've never heard of it... :-)

IF you're rebuilding and want bang for you buck, see Ted - engnbldr.com - he's got a great setup, oversize valves, cam, cast slugs and can recommend some mild machine work to give you a power boost that you can feel but still works with factory EFI... His engines have great drivablity - not necessarily a huge improvement in peak HP, but an improvement across the normal RPM range.

If you want *significant* power out of a 22RE and you plan to use it on the street, see Tim @ DOA racing. Turbo 22REs can easily do over 200hp and have good street manners, good mileage, etc. They're not inexpensive however.