84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Weber carb lean condition? Warning: this is a Cali smog legal swap.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weber carb lean condition? Warning: this is a Cali smog legal swap.

Ok! '84, Cali vehicle, basically stock. Swapped my g52 for a w56. 31.5" tires and a Daily driver on the freeway mostly.

I swapped my stock carb for a weber. I was averaging 21.9 mpg, I'm getting 16.7 now.

No vacuum leaks. I'm 2.25 turns out on mixture and 1.75 turns in on the idle, which technically translates to a slight lean condition I believe. I tune the truck at about 2500 feet above sea level but commute mostly in the flatlands of Sacramento. My timing is at 5 btdc as per the sticker under my hood. My fuel pressure regulator is set to 2 and all my vacuum hoses are in the right spots.

I don't know what jets are in the carb currently, I didn't verify the float level prior to install. My fuel cut solenoid is plugged into a spot on the original plug for the stock solenoid that provides 12v, although I don't believe it's the spot where the original was plugged which provided only 3v. It clicks now, it didn't click before.

The choke is plugged in the original location which provides 12v. It seems to engage and disengage properly, but its a hard start.

So, my questions are...

Could a lean condition due to jet issues be causing my problems? Wouldn't a lean scenario at least improve my gas mileage?

Why would a same person swap carbs when he ha the stock carb running so great? The mild power increase is nice, but I cruise the slow lane anyway.

Anyone want a great deal on lce's stock to weber spiral adaptor?
Old 06-06-2013, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd recommend using that spiral adapter!

I also swapped my factory AISIN for a POS weber 32/36. I lost highway power and fuel mileage. Mine seems to run great and its adjusted to be just about right for my truck. I paid the extra 60 and got a jet kit when I purchased mine. If I had to do all over again I'd bought a factory carb instead if the weber
Old 06-06-2013, 05:27 PM

As I understand it, in order to be truly legal, you must have the weber bolted directly to the stock manifold. Plus, the height of the spiral adapter makes the carb ride high and modifications are necessary in order to get the air cleaner to work. I don't think cutting of any sort, just new hoses and a few threaded couplings. I'm trying to get to square one with the weber, meaning, I want it to run as good as it can before I make any judgements. I had the stock carb running about perfect, but for some reason I thought I could do better. Power and response is improved, but I want fuel economy mostly. Although if I can get a happy medium I may settle. I did after posting this notice that my friggin hubs were locked, so I expect to hit 18 or so tomorrow, maybe more.

Now, if I can figure out the jetting, I may be able to adjust the jets to the best match for my driving style. Anyone know the stock jet sizes delivered with the Cali model (k8749)? Anyone have a set of jets working well for them?
Old 06-07-2013, 03:16 PM

Well well, turns out driving around at 70 with yer hubs locked kinda dings your mileage. Last night I unlocked my hubs, advanced the timing a bit to allow me to get to Weber's recommended settings, set the idle to about 650ish. And I posted 23.4 mpg! And I'm stoked to report that I have real nice acceleration, power, response etc out of a mostly stock and a bit tired engine.

I couldn't be happier! The weber is, after a ton of tinkering, a definite improvement!

If any Californians are interested I can post my vacuum/electrical config. The weber instructions are ˟˟˟˟ for the most part.

Last edited by StumpyJohnson; 06-07-2013 at 03:18 PM.