84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Warning for 2L engine owners!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning for 2L engine owners!

Hey uh, I did search and found no other mention. So I'd just like everyone to be weary of my little problem, because it may be a common thing I don't know.
To start from the top; a couple of days ago I was driving a long and bam, my timing belt broke, took me a minute or two to figure out what was going on and when it clicked I called my bro for a tow. Upon pulling it apart I found the 40,000km old belt to be in seemingly good nick up until the tear. So I guess I'm just unlucky, I also found the oil leak that I thought was coming from the crank seal was coming from the cam seal, and for the hell of it I pulled the rocker cover off for a squiz. (going up to the Alice in October).

ANYway.... Upon finding my tappets having 10 kilometers of clearance I found that 2 out of 3 cam bearing caps/rocker posts had big chunky cracks through them.
I'd attach photos but it's too hard

So yeah, next time you're doing a tune up keep your eyes peeled.

Mat
Old 09-11-2010, 02:45 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by mat_gon_jinn
finding my tappets having 10 kilometers of clearance I found that 2 out of 3 cam bearing caps/rocker posts had big chunky cracks through them.
10 Kilometer??? wholly crap, that is a big engine

I'd attach photos but it's too hard
Please try photobucket.com
I really wanna see the 10KM clearance
Old 09-11-2010, 10:53 PM

Okay so I MAY have exaggerated ever so slightly, but a big flat blad screw driver will easily fit between. Here are the pics... I would've circled the cracks but you'll see them.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
sense few here on YT have diesel, its not a surprise you could not find anything about this in the search.

good luck with it.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow thats horrible. Haven't seen anything quite like that before. By "tappets" are you referring to the rocker-to-valve tip clearance?

Don't 2L's have a "T-BELT" Warning Indicator?

Last edited by XtraSlow_XtraCab; 09-12-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:13 AM

Yeah mate, that clearance. They do have warning indicators, but it only emits after 100,000Ks as a service thing. Not when it breaks. My guess is the caps have cracked, and then whenever the rocker rides up on the cam lobe the force that the spring tension provides pushes down on the cap (on the right-hand side of the crack) clamping the camshaft. And that added resistance has just put the belt to the test.

Unfortunately these can only be replaced new in accompany to a new head ($1000). However I have sourced a full set of rocker gear from the "Hilux Wreckers" in NSW for $88 and is on it's way now. And I just have to hope it's a good fit, else I have to tear the head off and have it line bored

All in all it's putting a grim look on my trip to Alice Springs.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:54 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Every 1-2L up to the last LTE's are sad little engines... With VARY prone to cracking heads...

But, they're better than the alternative... :cry:

Thank god I found out about a OM617 and 4x4Labs

Now come on Powerball!

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 09-13-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:57 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check this place out... Tons of guys, and from all over the world.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/
Old 09-14-2010, 01:48 AM

Well, so I keep hearing they're prone to cracking, but this is the first problem I've had with the whole truck in the 3 years I've had it. It's done 347000 which I know isn't that much but is still a reasonable amount considering it does get a fair go off road. I've dumped the engine under water numerous times and yeah.... (And no I don't treat it like *crap*(mod edit) aside from thatlololololol.

I know three people with the exact same engine, one of which is my bro and he's hydraulic locked his and it still goes strong. So I'm still convinced that they're a good motor (even though my motorbike has 5 more KWs).

Last edited by dropzone; 09-18-2010 at 04:31 AM. Reason: censor picked up something
Old 09-15-2010, 02:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And I just have to hope it's a good fit, else I have to tear the head off and have it line bored

All in all it's putting a grim look on my trip to Alice Springs.
My 240z has cam towers that are supposed to be "in-line bored". While it is doing things right, to the tee, it's not necessarily a requirement. I replaced my cam by removing the cam towers (as opposed to taking the hood/bonnet off) and just bolted the towers with the cam from the center outwards. The thing turns just fine with no excessive resistance. You can also rotate the cam as you're tightening the towers/clamps down. As long as the cam bearings are within specification that is and there is no severe wear.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:27 AM

Okay, so the new rocker set is installed, entirely crackless and in seemingly good condition AND the camshaft spins nicely! Win win. But am now a bit worried, I could swear I read somewhere that it was a non interference engine, so until now I haven't worried about the belt braking. But when I was turning the crank to line up the mark it went doonk.

As it went doonk and stopped dead one of the valve springs moved and the camshaft rotated a bit!!!!! Rotating the cam allowed me to pass this point on the crank, where if I rotated more would again stop and move the cam. Upon rotating the cam again I could once again pass that point on the crank. These events have of course got me a bit worried. But anyway I put the belt on and rotated and all seems smooth and doonkless. Unfortunately I couldn't finish the job and start it because I couldn't find my feeler gauges.
Guess I'll have to run it and see how it goes, hope I haven't bent or broken anything. I'm sure I didn't hear any metallic banging when the belt broke though. *fingers crossed*
Old 09-18-2010, 09:37 PM

K, the deed is done, all seems good. Took it for a run, gave it a good rev. Sounds normal, runs normal, blows a lot less smoke I think. Only thing I could find is that it seems to breathe a hell of a lot, could've been like that before though not sure. *shrugs*
Old 09-18-2010, 10:36 PM

love hearing good stories on the 2l