84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

v6 front brake up grade now leaking calipers??

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
v6 front brake up grade now leaking calipers??

OK I did the v6 upgrade on my 85 runner and now I'm on the second set of calipers that have started to leak at the halves. I used vented rotors off an 88 land cruiser and reman calipers off an 88 4runner SR5 v6. Everything seemed to b bolt on. Is there something I missed like do the calipers need to be spaced special or are they just bolt onto the knuckle. Same with the rotors, they seemed to be bolt on, but do they need spacing. Asking because the parts store is being cool, but said the waranty only only covers OE. So being this is an upgrade they most likely will not warranty them again
Old 05-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
It's bolt on. Sounds like cheapo remans with bad o-rings or halves are not tight enough.

Done this upgrade dozens of times with no problems.

As long as you got a receipt leaking calipers they should replace regardless of what you are using it on as it is no different in any way.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the parts store gives you any guff on parts they sold that don't work, they are trying to cover their ass. Ask for the manager. the calipers they are selling are junk. From the sound of it, you did everything right and there should be no problem. For all the trouble, junkyard calipers seem to be the better bet
Old 05-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
don't tell them you are putting them on an older truck next time
they should still warranty them....
Old 05-24-2010, 03:30 PM

Agree with both of you. I just went out and checked how tight the caliper sides were and all the bolts tightened a lot. Well see how long they hold fluid.

It is always Better to buy quality parts just funds are tight right now.

The manager was the one talking to me about the warranty. He was good about it just wanted me to check everything I did because he said they rarely get returns on that brand of remains.

Thanks for the help
Old 05-24-2010, 03:53 PM

This place knows me and my junk. Small town aroung here. But I am sure they will make it good.

Thanks for the input though.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:27 PM

How'd everything work out? Have you done anything else to your 4Runner recently?
Old 07-12-2010, 01:50 AM

I ended up taking them apart to see why they keep leaking, and found there were a lot of burrs on the mating surfaces of the halves that were keeping the sides from torquing down all the way. I took some 400gr sand paper and a sanding block and made them flat again. They have not leaked since.

The braking is much more solid now. I do need to do the V6 master cylinder on it. The V6 MC have a residual valve built in. The 85 MC does not. If it has been a while since you hit the brakes it feels a little soft. But if you pump it one before you need the brakes they are there nice and solid. I will get around to doing it soon. Just to many other things going on to start another project.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f198...thread-213036/

Above is the build thread I put up on my runner. All the EFI stuff I got from you has been painted and is ready to be installed on the head, when I get one that is. The short block is done and sitting on the stand. I started on a set of sliders, got them welded on this weekend, and a coat of POR15 last night. But my POR15 was getting old and was not doing well in this humidity, so I got them them coated good one time and quit. I will post up on them in the build thread soon. I need to get busy on it though. I want the engine in, running, and a solid coat of paint on it buy the end of summer. That way I can spend the next year on my sons, and hopefully have it drivable by the time he gets his license. we will see if that plan works out. Sometimes it seems like one step forward and two back. But learning a lot as I go. I am sure it will make the 87 a lot easier.

The last month has been traveling and visiting with family, so not a lot going on outside.

Did you get yours running strong. What was the problem with the engine?

Last edited by TinMan; 07-12-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:46 AM

All your stuff in the thread looks pretty good. Hopefully you'll be able to get where you want to on the 4Runner, its always nice to have something you can hop in and not worry about or have a laundry list of things that need done, time is always the biggest enemy on projects like this. It's cool that the V6 brakes worked out, this is definitely something I would like to do as well and attempt the rear disc conversion. My truck wasn't running right because the TPS wasn't quite right...I messed with it enough to get it 85% of the way there but I could get it better.

Last edited by merfal; 07-12-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:29 PM

Yeah man I hear you on the time thing. It seems that there is never enough of it. I never would have thought that it takes this long to build a set of sliders and get them on and done. It only took a day to build both of them. Then about another a day to fit them on, now it has taken three days to get the POR15 done. Still need to top coat them. But I could have saved a butt load of time if I would have painted them prior to welding them on. Oh well lesson learned. But now I think I want to get rid of the rectangle tube bumper I built, and make a round tube one. We will see trying to talk myself out of it until the engine is in and done. Glad to hear yours is running strong again. The TPS can be a pain until you hit the sweet spot.

Later

Last edited by TinMan; 07-12-2010 at 07:30 PM.