84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

stupid noob... another rear window thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stupid noob... another rear window thread

Im at a lost, i've been cruising the web for a fix. I can get the window to go down. Its down all the way. If i use the key in the tail gate to go down it will still make a click noise at the relay box, same if i push down from the console. Turns out i can't do the same to get the window up. I used electronics cleaner on the console switch and made a trip to radio shack, and via Roger Brown (4crawler) and his site, they listed a part number for replacement relays, but the store only had 3. Anyways had them soldered on (one original was left but i don't believe it to be the one responsible for the window going up). Re-install it and its the same, down makes click noises, up does nothing. Also to note i verified that the rear wiper was clearly up high enough. Is there something pre-relay box thats jacked up? im at a lost. thanks
Old 01-11-2010, 06:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Its not as much that the rear wiper is up, but that the pin switch is pushed down. Take off the cover to the wiper motor box and look at how the arm moves across the pin switch. Verify that its depressed or manually push it in and see if your window works.
If you have been on Roger's site, then just go through all of the other safety stops. There is one bolt that you put in that depresses the cover top switch. Maybe that's not depressed or the switch it activates is disconnected.

hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:24 PM

well i have been avoiding checking the bolt that completes the circuit that also hoods the topper on. Would the window still be able to go down without this bolt working? Also i thought that the rear wiper had to be completely retracted for the window to go down or up, and basing my knowledge on that, i assumed that the window being able to go down eliminated that possibility. Thanks though, i will look into the rear wiper in more detail.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
not sure, but it's worth a shot. Like I said, the wiper might be seated physically, but its what the linkage behind it is doing that allows the window to go down.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My wiper will work with the window down, and I can put the window down while the wiper is on. lol

I guess the PO had some fun with "custom"wiring. I've seen it around the back quarter panel, and it ain't pretty.lol

I had a similar problem with the rear window going down, but not coming back up. A few good slams usually did the trick, except a few times when it was raining..... I swear it did that just to mess with me. Then, after that I had trouble with it not wanting to go down. I checked the switch (which looked bad, but still passed current fine), and then I tryed changing the relay, and that fixed the problem....although it still doesn't work with the key, which may be a totally unrelated issue, like the switch for the key, or something. Hopefully this helps a little.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:03 AM

well i removed the bolt that completes the circuit, everything looks good, gave the little black box some electronics cleaner. Than i grabbed the rear wiper with one hand and turned the key with the other hand and couldn't get any noise or movement to occur. Im gonna go into the rear wiper in a couple days. How do you go about checking it? looks like you gotta remove the plastic cover from the topper and go from there...
Old 01-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

That's it. I don't think there are even any screws, just clips holding it on there, so it should just pop off. I forget if the seams overlap the back panels, tho. If they do, you can just pop off a couple clips from the back panel and get that wiper cover off.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:03 PM

ill give it a spin thanks
Old 01-16-2010, 06:30 AM

so i checked the rear wiper switch and its fully contacted so no problem there. Ran a wire with a switch from the battery to the rear window motor and than grounded the other wire. The two wires were a blue wire with a yellow strip and a blue wire with a black strip. I used a T-tap on both the wires. turned the switch on and the motor hummed for about 3-4 seconds and than nothing, no movement of the window. Reversed my power and ground wire and again 3-4 seconds of humming but no movement. I kept doing this back and forth changing my ground and trying minor tweaks. Never got anything other than the 3-4 seconds of humming. Im at a TOTAL lost now. I no longer have any ammo to trouble shoot this. To note i have seen the rear window go down. so the motor seems good.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hiltu
so i checked the rear wiper switch and its fully contacted so no problem there. Ran a wire with a switch from the battery to the rear window motor and than grounded the other wire. The two wires were a blue wire with a yellow strip and a blue wire with a black strip. I used a T-tap on both the wires. turned the switch on and the motor hummed for about 3-4 seconds and than nothing, no movement of the window. Reversed my power and ground wire and again 3-4 seconds of humming but no movement. I kept doing this back and forth changing my ground and trying minor tweaks. Never got anything other than the 3-4 seconds of humming. Im at a TOTAL lost now. I no longer have any ammo to trouble shoot this. To note i have seen the rear window go down. so the motor seems good.
Did you try to help the window down? It could've come off the track, or the motor is shot.