84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

squeaky steering wheel resolution

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
squeaky steering wheel resolution

Well I did a search and didn't find a thread or info like this, so if it a repost.....tough.

On the older trucks and runners there develops a squeak from inside the steering column which audio frequency finds my spinal column and shoots straight up to ring my skull. I hate squeaks and rattles anyway, but this particular one is beyond annoying. In fact, there may be a Geneva Convention torture statute infraction......... Both my second gen truck and first gen runner had it, so I'm thinking there's a good chance others are suffering too.

Just thought I'd share the remedy in case others are likewise subject to the same torturess.

It turns out that there's a little brass spring-loaded peg that rides on a corresponding brass circular track, mounted on the back of the steering wheel inside the steering column. This spring-loaded peg over the years begins to drag against it's track, creating a vibration; hence the noise.

I removed the steering column plastic covers and the steering wheel to expose the peg and track. It's easy to spot by looking from the dash back toward the driver seat and focusing on the steering column where the wheel was mounted. I took a little white lithium grease on a cotton swab and dabbed the peg and track with it. VOILĄ! No more squeak. Re-assemble opposite removal procedure and go get a burger........
Old 08-03-2006, 08:48 PM

good one bruther. i can implement that fix this weekend.

btw, a similar ˟˟˟˟ up squeek comes from the speedo cable. my fix was to disengage it from the cluster and hang it out under the steering column, then feed it as much 'break free' (or any other non viscous lube) as it would take, drive a day, "lather, rinse, repeat." after a few days the sqeek is gone, reconnect the cable and enjoy.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:17 PM

nice! will give that a shot on the pickup.....
Old 08-04-2006, 03:46 PM

Received 274 Likes on 185 Posts
just to let you know ... thats your " horn contact pin"

The pin is obviously made to wear .. and when the pin no longer makes contact with the plate .. no more horn .

I hope you have used a dielectric grease ... it works best .
Old 08-05-2006, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by slacker
just to let you know ... thats your " horn contact pin"

The pin is obviously made to wear .. and when the pin no longer makes contact with the plate .. no more horn .

I hope you have used a dielectric grease ... it works best .
I figured it had something to do with the horn, though I didn't know what to call it. Dielectric grease would have been the better option. Next time I get into the column I'll change over. For now, it works fine. Good call though. I hate being a hack.