84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Ride Quality?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have new shocks on my '84 Runner but the springs are "saggy"... Is it ok to install OME springs and a new set of 4.5" shackles, without replacing the shocks?
Old 01-31-2008, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by grovedogg
I have new shocks on my '84 Runner but the springs are "saggy"... Is it ok to install OME springs and a new set of 4.5" shackles, without replacing the shocks?
I would not think so the Lift Kit will make the stock shocks too short.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock length shocks will limit travel because OME's are about a 2" lift.
Also, OME designs their shocks to work with their springs and vice versa, so you wont be getting the "full sh-bang" if you dont get the shocks as well. It's a full system.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:39 AM

Thanks fellas, I am a newbie with the 4x4 setup, been a 2wd kinda guy for a long time.
Yota's are eff'en awesome! I just picked mine up from the guy sellin that 84 Runner on craigslist as well as YT. Solid little truck...
Old 02-02-2008, 10:30 PM

Thanks fellas, I am a newbie with the 4x4 setup, been a 2wd kinda guy for a long time.
Yota's are eff'en awesome! I just picked mine up from the guy sellin that 84 Runner on craigslist as well as YT. Solid little truck...
I am a little new too, No problem. Better to ask than not and make a mistake. I have only ben woring on my 4x4 for 1.5 years but Hot rods for 46 Years. I was not able to take my Yota to the snow today bummer!
Old 02-18-2008, 07:56 PM

It looks like I might need a new tranny. How do you identfy them?
Old 02-18-2008, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by RandyatBBY
It looks like I might need a new tranny. How do you identfy them?
This is always a good place to start:

http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/tra...ansmission.htm
Old 02-19-2008, 06:45 AM

It is real hard to tell from the pictures. My tranny may be the same or different what distinguishes them? I sort of wonder because the tunnel is cut up a bit and may not have the same tranny it came with.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:46 AM

Sorry Randy, You've reached the limit of very limited expertise on the subject...hopefully someone else, wiser and more knowledgable will post.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:45 PM

Well I finaly got it right. I raised the front of the 4Runner about 1 inch higher than the back and all the ruff ride is out of it. still a little bounch but much better!
Old 03-12-2008, 04:50 AM

What did you do to get the 1" more lift?
Old 03-12-2008, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bodock
What did you do to get the 1" more lift?
I had bought gerasable bolts and 5 inch shackles for all around. But I installed the stock ones when I did the lift kit. Now I am comming back and instaled the 5" shack.es on the rear of the front springs from Datin MFG. I am going to drill the 5" shackles to the stock size and install the greaseble bolts in the rear springs and keep the front higher. It really works better on all roads and the freeway is great now.

I do need longer shocks now for the front though.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, you installed greasable shackles and it increased the ride quality? I have NWOR springs and the ride sucks. I am using stock shackles, etc...

Would you recommend replacing the shackles with a greasable unit? I have 3.5"s of lift and dont want anymore.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by 85 PICKUP
So, you installed greasable shackles and it increased the ride quality? I have NWOR springs and the ride sucks. I am using stock shackles, etc...

Would you recommend replacing the shackles with a greasable unit? I have 3.5"s of lift and dont want anymore.
The greasable shackles just save the bushings. The 5 inch and not 3 inch bars/Shackles make the lift, it is in the extenion. The improvement is in the front beeing 1 to 1.5 inches higher in the front. And it is weight distrubition on the springs.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:05 PM

I just picked up a solid axel toyota pickup and was considering the OME kit as well for an improved ride/slight lift.

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...viationMech98/

Aside from installing the actual kit, what otehr things need to be done to make this lift work.. ie- brake lines, sway bar(do i have to disconnect it?) torsion bar. Its a daily driver, but it does see some off road when i get time. If I wanted to save money and reuse my stock shackles, what would I sacrifice? Also, are the OME shocks going to give me the best ride or are there other better alternatives? Sorry if these are noob questions, im not a noob to Toyota Trucks (this is my 4th) i just never put a lift in one before. Thanks in advance
Old 03-19-2008, 12:53 AM

I think the OME kit is really good and not excessivly priced although it will set you back a bit over $1000 for the entire kit if you install the shackles and greasable pins. I don't know what you sacrifice if you stay with stock shackles, maybe nothing.

I also had to install a Pro-comp drop draglink. My stock draglink hit the front U-bolt even though I had installed the special OME flattened U-bolts. OME said that shouldn't happen, but it did. I think Randy had the same problem. My torque rod fit fine. The anti-sway bar up front needed longer bolts and I would recommend that you buy an extension kit for it. Otherwise everything was fine.

My other recommendation is to buy all new body, sway bar and torque rod bushings and install those at the same time. LC Engineering makes a complete kit ($100 +/-) and it will improve your ride quite a bit.

If you install everything mentioned above, and do it yourself, which is pretty easy, you will have about $1400 in parts.

I went heavy springs up front and medium rear because I was adding an ARB front bumper and Warn 8000 winch. My 4Runner sits very level now and rides just fine. I went with the heavy shocks all around (heavy vs. medium will not change height but will make the ride a bit firmer). If you aren't adding an aftermarket bumper and/or winch, then you might want to go with medium springs front and rear.

Good Luck.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:32 AM

Now I wanted the softest ride possable due to my 59 years of age. So I went the lightest I could get. I allso sugest going with Datin for the greasable bolts and hard rubber bushings (the Hard rubber Bushings softer ride). this will save you a little $$$ too. On the rear you will need the longer U-bolts.

I also needed a longer setup on the swaybar so I got the Sway Bar disconects from Roger Brown these took a while to get but were worth the wait.

This is the front shackle I am going to shorten the rear and install to keep the front highr and a better ride.

Last edited by RandyatBBY; 03-20-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Wardamneagle
I also had to install a Pro-comp drop draglink. My stock draglink hit the front U-bolt even though I had installed the special OME flattened U-bolts. OME said that shouldn't happen, but it did. I think Randy had the same problem. My torque rod fit fine.
Can you take a picture of your setup I would like to see your drag link.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:08 PM

this is a great thread. I just picked up a 85 pickup. it looks like I'll be doing some similar upgrades and repairs. Seems that my knuckles are leaking gear oil, and I am sure it needs new springs/shocks.

Thanks for the details and photos!!
Old 03-20-2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by RandyatBBY
Can you take a picture of your setup I would like to see your drag link.
This is the only photo that I have. Hope it helps. I would take more but I'm in England and the 4Runner is in Alabama. Hope the weather is better in Alabama at the moment!
Attached Thumbnails Ride Quality?-draglink-small-3.jpg  

Quick Reply: Ride Quality?