84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

rear axle sounds to me like the bearings are going out

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear axle sounds to me like the bearings are going out

So i just bought an '84 pickup, after having sold my '85 two years ago. Its locked and geared front and rear, the rear axle sounds to me like the bearings are going out/gone. i'm assuming im going to end up replacing the front and rear axle bearings. i couldnt find anything searching but i was wondering if anyone knows of a walk through tutorial to replace the bearings in a toyota axle and whether or not i should attempt this on my own. I dont have a SST for pressing the bearings but could probably get ahold of one.

Also to clarify my diagnosis is on the right page it basically sounds like there are a bunch of lose rocks in the rear axle but this doesnt interfere with the locker or it driving (at low speeds at least).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 03-30-2009 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Title Clarity
Old 03-30-2009, 11:32 PM

A good start is to drain out the differential oil in the rear axle and take notice of the color of the gear oil coming out. it will tell you alot.....
It should be a clean dark green or dark brown in color and not black/silver gray or flakes & chunks coming out the drain hole.
If that checks out o.k... replace the rear axle bearings & seals. if its not, you need to rebuild the third member or replace it with another good one.
If you ever taken apart an axle before & know how to use a press & have a repair manual, you can probably do this.

Mike
Old 03-31-2009, 07:28 AM

I'm right there with you One. The good news is these bearings can make a racket for a long, long time and still work effectively.

In prepreation for bearing replacement, I've bought a diff housing and cut off one side to use for the SST. I haven't welded the bracket on the end of it yet but will find time this weekend. Here are a couple of good links to doing this job on the rear bearings...

http://www.zookpower.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=3234

and

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...wheel_bearing/

BTW... I have the other side of the diff housing if someone wants to make their own SST.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:43 PM

The oil was bright green, the guy i bought it from had multiple strokes and hasnt driven the truck in multiple years, the oil had a little bit of water it in but if it hasnt moved for 5+ years that doesnt necessarily surprise me and the axle vents werent sealed down.

Those tutorials are exactly what im looking for. Thank you so much. How much do you want for the other side of the diff housing?
Old 03-31-2009, 01:08 PM

No problem on the links. I'e started a directory for my 4r and copied it to a thumb drive that I keep in the 4r. Never without all my tech info.

On the other side of the diff...i paid $30 for the empty diff whole . If you'd split the cost ($15) I can cut the pumpkin off so shipping will be less. If you send me a town/zip, I'll weigh the side I already cut and let you know what shipping costs would be.

Jim