84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Oil pressure sender

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil pressure sender

85 with the SR5 gauges. Oil pressure switch was swapped out to the sender prior changing the gauges. So, the oil pressure sender that's on the truck now has the little post in the center to connect the harness to. It also has a male blade connector on the case. When the wire is connected to the center post, there is no reading on the gauge. When it's connected to the blade connector it appears to work. The gauge reads on the higher side of the normal operation range.

Could this be correct? I just hooked it to the blade connector to see what it would do. Im not convinced this is an accurate reading. What do y'all think? And what is that blade connector on the case for?
Old 06-27-2012, 05:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like some type of sender body ground maybe? I don't believe the OEM part has that. Maybe try grounding the side flat blade with a seperate wire to a good ground, just with a little pigtail. Then hooking up the gauge wire to the top like normal?

Factory sender uses the threads to ground to the block as far as I have seen and experienced.

Where in SC are ya? I been in Columbia the last few weeks for work.

Last edited by rokblok; 06-27-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:46 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking maybe some kind of ground too, but I don't know. I followed the steps in the factory service manual as how to check the sender with a test light. I can't remember them word for word, but it said the test light will flash when connected to the positive terminal of the battery and the sender with the truck running. When its connected to the center post it stays on steady. When it's connected to the blade connector, it flashes.

I'm in Sumter.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It does seem kind of backwards... Are there any identifying numbers on the sender body that might indicate a brand or application? Could it possibly be for an aftermarket gauge? I have an Autometer in my truck, but my sender only has a small threaded stud off the top, and it came with the gauge.

I live about 25miles west of Augusta but I been commuting to Columbia everyday for a few weeks. It's a nice 2hr drive for me, one way....lol
Old 06-28-2012, 04:19 AM

I don't remember the brand, but me and my son purchased it at either autozone or advance auto a few years ago when we swapped his original cluster for the SR5 cluster. It worked fine in the past, but he wasnt living here for a while and I didn't havent spent much time with the truck. Lol

My wife works on the eastern side of Columbia and its almost an hour drive for her. She said she doesnt mind it though.