84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

need some opinions on 85 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some opinions on 85 4runner

I am considering this 85:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422986
as my next dd/ trail project. It is a bit rough, but all the important stuff is there. I don't really care about paint or aesthetics.
The front locker needs replacing as well as some odds and ends.

i also know it is a 21 year old vehicel, so it is not perfect and will need work, but.....

thoughts????
Old 03-14-2006, 11:16 AM

it asks me for a password once i click the link could you just post pics?
Old 03-14-2006, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

DOH...
try this instead:
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14954
Old 03-14-2006, 11:32 AM

i think that would make a great project truck thats pretty much what i did bought a truck that was a little rough around the edges and started to clean it up and turn it into a dd/trail rig. mine is still a work in progress right now i have done mostly cosmetics.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It does seem to have all the upgraded items like the hi-steer, Longs, gears etc.
but the front 3rd will need to be rebuilt and I can't tell for sure, but it probably needs a front knuckle rebuild kit too.
Take it out and test drive it. You are close to arent you?

be prepared to spend some money on it for rutine maintenance (which I know you are aware of). But if you have the cash, go for it. Then get a trailer and use the 99 for the tow rig!
Old 03-14-2006, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

the owner said he could swap the rear to a welded and add a detroit to the front, but for a DD i was thinking matching Detroits would be better.?.?.?

I am aware of the routine maintenance, but I don't want a trailer queen. I prefer to drive it wherever i wheel, that is just how I am.

If I ever did a trail only it would a Formula toy thing....i guess
Old 03-14-2006, 12:12 PM

I think you should go for it. I mean, gears and lockers will almost cost the $3k alone, plus you get rims, tires, hy steer, sliders, and all the small crap that nickel and dimes you to death. You will definitely have to spend some cash to finish it off and clean it up, but it is worthwhile. I would take the welded rear and have him move the detroit to the front. For a DD, you can unlock the hubs and use 2wd.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Intrepid
I think you should go for it. I mean, gears and lockers will almost cost the $3k alone, plus you get rims, tires, hy steer, sliders, and all the small crap that nickel and dimes you to death. You will definitely have to spend some cash to finish it off and clean it up, but it is worthwhile. I would take the welded rear and have him move the detroit to the front. For a DD, you can unlock the hubs and use 2wd.

I agree about the price. However I am up in the air about the lockers....

I think it would make the perfect DD for me....
Old 03-15-2006, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

anyone have any input?????

It will need a windshield, marker light, side window, and two front fenders (don't really mind the dents and I know I can get fenders for pretty cheap), red is not my favorite, but it will get a flat black rattle can paint job.

thoughts???
Old 03-15-2006, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by FilthyRich

It will need a windshield, marker light, side window, and two front fenders (don't really mind the dents and I know I can get fenders for pretty cheap), red is not my favorite, but it will get a flat black rattle can paint job.

thoughts???
Sounds good.

I suppose if you are going to DD it, you could leave the detroit in the rear and put the welded diff in the front or just buy a lockright or ez locker for the front, they aren't that expensive.
Are you planning to get rid of the runner you have now? Is that why this will be a DD?
Old 03-15-2006, 06:45 AM

thoughts???
It seems to me like you really want it. Just buy it.

In fact, if you gave that rig a little TLC and fixed it the obvious consmetic problems, I bet you could resell it and make a good chunk of change as profit.

Either way, you know you want it. Buy it.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Intrepid
Sounds good.

I suppose if you are going to DD it, you could leave the detroit in the rear and put the welded diff in the front or just buy a lockright or ez locker for the front, they aren't that expensive.
Are you planning to get rid of the runner you have now? Is that why this will be a DD?
unfortunately I think it is time for my 4runner and i to part company

I do want an older 22re truck. I have thought about a 2nd gen 4door with SAS, but that will be a ton of cash b/c I would be starting from scratch.

I am thinking about leaving the detroit in the rear and fixing the front. i don't like the idea of a welded diff (for my needs).

I am good a rattle can paint jobs
Old 03-15-2006, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

Selling the 99 huh? Man, I didn't see that coming. Are you going to follow the path of Wabbit? Start the back to stock thread and begin the build up of the first gen?

Good luck wit hthe build up. they are a lot of fun and fairly easy to work on.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

well, I am at a crossroads in life of sorts.
I didn't think I would be parting with the 99 either, but some things are out of my control.....

I like this 85 for several reasons:
it is cheap--at least initially
it already has a ton of parts/ mods that would cost at least 3k
it is EFI and has a SA
i don't care about straight sheetmetal and i like flat black

I would probably go the route of the Wabbit, but with repsect to using it as a DD.
I also like the idea of a simple rig that is easier for me to work on.

It needs to pass VA inspection:
-windshield
-marker light for front bumper
-speedo cable
-redo the parking brake

I would sell my last motorcycle, but I would be able to put the 85 in MY garage, so that is a plus.
I also realize it will take some $$$ to get this as a DD, but what doesn't cost $$$. And I don't have the cash to buy say a 96-98 4r--even with high miles, so.....
Old 03-15-2006, 07:37 AM

Are you parting out the 99?
Old 03-15-2006, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

^^^
nope. It will go in one shot.

I realize older trucks are always more intensive than first appearance, but I am asking for a HUGE mess?

I don't mind the work and I am fairly capable with a wrench--I did all the work on the 99 myself
Old 03-15-2006, 08:00 AM

^^^
nope. It will go in one shot.

I realize older trucks are always more intensive than first appearance, but I am asking for a HUGE mess?

I don't mind the work and I am fairly capable with a wrench--I did all the work on the 99 myself
I think it might not be a bad idea to keep the 99 around for a month once you have bought the '85 just in case. There is really no way to tell what might be wrong with it until you get into it. I bought mine with what might have been a real pita problem and it was just a wire harness that was broken and disconnected underneath, but it could always go the other way, look good and be full of issues. Sounds like you are prepared to spend some money and time on it and it sounds like you have the mechanical ability, I say go for it.
It has been for sale for a while, talk him down a bit.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:02 AM

At the same time though, it might not be a bad idea to buy a stock one in good condition and build it yourself. Then you know it hasn't been thrashed off road and you know the mods are done right. Either way though, it is a 20 year old vehicle and there is no way to verify how well it was taken care of.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

I know and I hear you....

I would love a 22re 2nd gen 4 door, but between the cost of one plus the SAS kit, rebuilt axle, blaah blahh blahhh it will easily be a $10k+ rig.....

It would be ideal to find someones started/ finished project and buy it a at a discount compared to starting from scratch, but.....

I can get him down several hundred, but that savings would be spent to get it to pass inspection.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

The most expensive part to gettting it to pass inspection is the windshield. the rest is easy and pretty cheap to replace. my windshield replacement cost me $275, so, along with the rest of the items, it would add up to less than $500 to get it inspection ready.

Talking him down, so you can get the items fixed so it will pass inspection is a great way to get some cash taken off the top.

Quick Reply: need some opinions on 85 4runner