84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

My rear is sagging. '85 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My rear is sagging. '85 4runner

Hi, I'm new to Toyotas and 4x4's in general (my first) but for a while now needed a 4x4 suv so after some research and looking i found what I was after.

Got a good deal on it and in less then a month I've put a new clutch in, new exhaust (passed emissions today with no cat and a cherry bomb!), new brake and clutch masters, new radiator and hoses, tune up, and also today swapped my 33's for a set of 31's (i like the handling so much more!).

Its a blast to drive now that I have it in good running order and I've been very happy with parts availibility and prices as well as the Toyota dealer and this forum. Overall, I am very pleased with my Toyota experience.

Now I am turning a little towards the secondary/cosmetic matters on the rig.

I don't like the way the rear sags and was wondering on what my options are as far as cost/labor involved in not only leveling it out but maybe even giving it a little bit of a rake. The truck has a 4" body lift.

Also, rear window does now roll down. Any suggestions? Tried to hotwire the motor but I could not get it to work.

Here are a few pics with the 33's, don't have any with the new 31's yet.... but, I did look way cooler with the bigger tires, too bad it handled like crap.

Thanks for any input, Pete

Last edited by michalik_piotr; 05-01-2007 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:53 PM

Pete,
As for the rear, get an add-a-leaf. When you read the directions it tells you take take one leaf out and replace it with the Add-a-leaf...DON'T!!! Get longer u-bolts and add the extra leaf in, leaving all the origionals plus one, and that will give you a little higher than stock height.

My opinion on body lifts is don't. Take that 4 incher out and get it back to stock, especially if you are going to run 31's. I have a completely stock 85 4runner with 31's and I only rub on full lock.

Brandon
Old 04-08-2007, 05:22 PM

it came with the body lift....its not bothering me. plus i like the way it looks.
why take it out?

the "add a leaf", where do i get it and how much?

other options as far as cost, easy of instal?
Old 04-08-2007, 05:26 PM

no need to take it out if you like it, but a lot of people will tell you to take it out or shorten it. Add a leaf can be bought at vato zone, checker, schucks, etc. I personally recommend new springs for a better ride, which seems to me is what you are after. new springs really can only be made by alcan i have yet to see a set of good used rear leafs. But you can also go with a downey 2in lift spring and it will settle down to about level.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:38 PM

Springs are a good way, but an AAL is only 60 bucks or so. Do you take the truck offroad at all? If so anything more than a 2'' body lift puts your radiator in the open and unprotected.

Then again, it's your rig and if you like it then leave it in. I'm here to offer my opinions, however wrong they may be at times.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:16 PM

nice truck. AAL if you want to save money and level things right now. or you can save your money for some new springs. that's what i'm doing, maybe some old man emu. plenty of kits to choose from for about a grand or less.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:20 PM

The big question is are you going to modify the rig later? If so then just get the AAL to get you by, no point in buying new leafs to make it stock height to replace them with lift leafs later down the road. If you never plan on anything bigger than the 31's you have on there now then replace the springs.

Once again, this is just my humble opinion.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:23 PM

i didn't realize new springs were that expansive! ("a grand or less").
i'll go for the AAL for now, i'm not really sure what i'll be doing with this truck yet. But most likely leaving it close to stock. I might get a more agressive 31" tires, put a nice winch/bumper on the front, tint/paint, sound, racks. this will be on the fwy and street at least 80% with the occasional wknd off road/camping trips. i don't mind getting it dirty or denting it but i don't think i'll ever be doing extreme rock crawling/mud bogging type stuff.

thanks for the help... i'll talk to my local napa or shucks and see about ordering that ad a leaf. oh, where do i get the longer u bolts? home depot? i wanna make sure i get ones that will last and not sheer.

as for my rad being exposed/vernurable b/c of the body lift... um, its not hanging out dangling 2" below the truck or anything so not sure what cha talkin' bout willis.

ps, i replaced the 33s with 31s b/c i honestly dont think a stock 22re has nuff power to spin them with out killing itself (its hard to out think toyota ingeneers). and, b/c of the handling and the fact i will drive it on the fwy occasionaly. they did fit just fine with the body lift.

Last edited by michalik_piotr; 04-08-2007 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:41 AM

go to napa for the u bolts
Old 04-09-2007, 06:48 AM

would this work??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...spagenameZWDVW
Old 04-09-2007, 06:58 AM

Ok, found these on the schucks site:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...=Helper+Spring

what is the diff b/t them and which one is the best one to get? thanks
Old 04-09-2007, 07:06 AM

The link doesn't work, i really think it wouldn't matter, because add a leafs all do the samething. but you can get new rear springs for like 200-300.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:11 AM

which one doesn't work? when i click on them, they both work.
reason i asked b/c two out of the three look identical but one is $150 and the other $65! then there is the $200 one. i just wanted to know the diff. if all is need is the $65 then i'm stoked but if i have to get the $150, i might as well get the $200 if its much better.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's my thread about Downey rear leaves w/ before and after pics. Many on this board dog the Downey's but I have no complaints so far. Good luck.
Mike

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/new-rear-leafs-installed-48400/
Old 04-09-2007, 09:35 AM

AAL's? Wouldnt a good set of 1.5-2" lift shackles be easier and less expensive? I have a set on my truck and they work great. Cost? Well under $100.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:12 AM

Look. If you want to replace the springs and all, that's cool, but I have an 89 4runner and I had the same problem. What I ended up doing was instead of replacing the springs entirelly, I just had the springs reheated and I installed an add-a-leaf. It was cheap and it works and feels great on the road.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:35 PM

Shackles cause a lot of stress, especially on worn out springs.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:49 PM

The link was taking me to the parts america zip code page, then axed me to put in vehicle info.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:53 PM

As a mech engineering student, I would love to hear how extended shackles cause extra stress on springs...
Old 04-09-2007, 10:29 PM

thanks for all the input.

both your trucks in the other thread look grt so don't take this the wrong way but they still look to me like they're barely level.... maybe i'm cross eyed or something. that would be good nuff for me though cept that i'm thinking once i put my dog and gear in the back it will just look saggy again.

i want to get ahead of the game and give it a bit of rake for the above reason and b/c i like the look of a slight rake. and, for $186... well, crap. i think i'm gonna try the $60 add a leaf option and if that doesn't do it for me i'll buy or make shackles.

i would go to a junk yard and try to get chevy 3/4 or 1/2 ton springs or something but i have no idea what to get and don't feel like re-inventing the wheel all wknd. any thoughts on this?

Quick Reply: My rear is sagging. '85 4runner