84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

My dual transfer case set up

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 08:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
My dual transfer case set up

I have only had my Yota for 2 years and it is my 1st 4wd vehicle, I love it but, she was kind of lame from abuse and neglect. Since buying her I have rebuilt pretty much everything from the brakes and suspension to the engine and clutch then I put lockers in because 4 wheeling ain't 4 wheeling without them.
Now comes the good stuff, I put dual transfer cases in today and tomorrow I get the rear driveshaft shortened and hopefully have the proper front shaft dropped off here tomorrow morning by the instigator, my friend Tony that is a crawler builder.

The work was difficult because I only have one good hand but, help from my neighbor got the T cases lifted into place so I could bolt it in.
It is a Marlin Crawler transfer case so it has the other Marlin goodies that go with it although I bought the T cases used, the accessories had to be purchased new.

Last edited by fasterspider; 05-16-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice! Is the crossmember in view (in the photo) one you made or is it part of the Marlin setup? Also, which year is your rig?

Cheers,
Old 05-17-2016, 09:19 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
The cross member looks like a trail gear
Old 05-17-2016, 11:10 AM

The truck is an 85 and the cross member came from Trail Gear, while the speedo cable extension, new shifter bushings, T case shift drum springs and T case gasket came from Marlin.
The shifters are located now with new holes in the floor and I have to get creative to cover half of the original shifter holes.

My correct bushings for the rear springs just arrived so I can fix the sagging spring issue with some newer but, used and bigger 4" lift springs.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:25 PM

Made some more progress today and got the T case and transmission both full of gear oil, have the shifters located and two of them covered with boots and a 3rd boot on the way.

I also mounted the sub woofer on the back wall of the cab behind my driver seat, had it on the floor and it vibrated too much making it sound terrible but, now that it is fixed to the wall it sounds great.
The rear springs I was going to put in turned out to have the left one's 3rd leaf down was badly bent and not going on my rig so I dug deep and bought a pair of new springs that should be here in less than a week.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:40 PM

This is more than just a T case install, my new springs got here a day early so I had to install them but, I need to install a shock relocation and U bolt flip kit, my old shocks are not going to work anymore.
The rear diff is completely visible from behind now, she has some elevation my 4'11.5" wife is not too thrilled about coping with to get in.

I am 6'3" tall with very long legs and getting into the driver seat is not as easy as it was, good news.
I have the U bolt flip kit in hand but, the shock relocation kit has not arrived yet so patience must be used and I am no doctor so patience are not one of my strong points.

It got to be dinner time and my back is killing me so I will get on with the rest of what I can do tomorrow, no hurries makes for no worries.

Last edited by fasterspider; 05-19-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:16 PM

Is it ever you going to be finished? I think not.
The rear only needs the new shock relocation kit to arrive so I can get it on and use my rig for more than just yard art.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:59 PM

With the new shifter location I had to lose my cheapo plastic cup holder and "stuff" tray and since my rig never had a console, I shamelessly stole an idea about using an ammo box which I am about to go mount permanently onto the floor between the seats, bitchin'.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:48 AM

More stuff neatly mounted and stored.
The ammo box is now my console and storage for my 1st aid kit, small compressor and the yellow tow strap.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:49 AM

I finished the install of everything dual T case related and the new 4" springs are in but, the rear shock relocation kit is still in the cab of the truck which will go in today or tomorrow if I can find someone to weld the stuff in for me.
We finally have a proper stance also, she is looking the part but, until the rear shocks are in place, she's just eye candy.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:22 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Thats some nice eye candy! Stock gears in the t cases? what are your axle gears? What next on the list after the rear shocks?
Old 05-26-2016, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by rattlewagon
Thats some nice eye candy! Stock gears in the t cases? what are your axle gears? What next on the list after the rear shocks?
I'm still running 4:11s but, next is 4:88s and as far as I know, they are stock gears in the T cases but, wow is she slow now, holy slowness Batman and I mean slow. I could walk faster than she will crawl now.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:41 PM

She can crawl super slow now and with her new 4" lift & 33"s, she is pretty awesome now.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congratulations on getting all those tasks completed in pretty short order. It looks nice and obviously can do some serious rock crawling based on your latest photo.

I have two questions for you. What kind of seats are you using? Where did you get that snorkel and what brand is it?

Thanks,

Lonnie
Old 05-31-2016, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Lonnie-S
Congratulations on getting all those tasks completed in pretty short order. It looks nice and obviously can do some serious rock crawling based on your latest photo.

I have two questions for you. What kind of seats are you using? Where did you get that snorkel and what brand is it?

Thanks,

Lonnie
The seats were purchased at different times, passenger seat was part kf a cheap pair and they sucked so I bought another seat from the same seller for almost twice what I paid for the ˟˟˟˟ty pair and what a difference, the new seat has lumbar support with fake suade and feels nice to sit in. I also have a 4 point harness on the driver side, haven't gotten around to fitting the passenger side harness yet.
I bought the snorkel from Amazon, it is a Chinese knock off of a Safari but, it works giving me cleaner air than if I was running the OEM breather tube for the air filter.
My rig got her 1st of no doubt many crawling scars when we traversed a gnarly gulley up in Hungry Valley. It was a lot of fun driving in sideways.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:32 PM

I'm still learning to crawl and it is a lot of fun so far but, I really need someone with experience with me to guide me through gnarly terrain where I do not want to trust my own sad visual memory to the extreme just yet.

I sure am enjoying the learning and she crawled in low low low the rest of the way up and across the practice rocks today like it was childsplay.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:19 AM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
once thing to think about when crawling is which gear box to use.

if i recall correctly, always start with the box furthest back, and if that isn't low enough, use the next one... i think that there is torque multiplication load placed on the rearmost box, when you use that first gear box.

the other thing people warn against is putting the clutch in when going downhill, in a low-gear situation, because the clutch is spinning at a super high rpm.

of course much of that is subject to the gear ratios used... is there a 4.7 gear in the rear case, for example; tire size vs. rear axle ratio; etc.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:11 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
haha....yep, beware of that being in low low and pushing in the clutch to go down a hill.....it will start to sound like a hi-frequency jet engine and if you're not so lucky, the rivets on the clutch material will fly off....leaving you with no clutch at all.
I heard the wind-up starting when I pushed the clutch in and started going faster so I instinctively slammed the tranny in Neutral and all was good. So, if you coast down a long downhill faster than a walk....just make sure to do it in Neutral

My 1992 22RE manual standard cab had dana 44 axles both ends....5.89 gears....36" Swampers....4.0 Trail-Tamer gears in the rearward case.

Last edited by ZUK; 06-14-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
gonna use the sliders alil more with that dual case set up! What springs are you running?

Last edited by dirtdobberoffroad; 08-26-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by dirtdobberoffroad
gonna use the sliders alil more with that dual case set up! What springs are you running?
My sliders got some use on the Miller Jeep Trail because I had to go the hard way, it was awesome.
Pro-Comp 5" lift springs with a u-bolt flip kit in the rear so far, more goodies are coming a cash allows. I also have a LROR rear shock relocation kit and 12" Bilstein shocks. The new 4:88 gears are here in a box waiting on the bearing kits I still can't afford but, soon it will happen.

Quick Reply: My dual transfer case set up