84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

A little mod.. pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Johannes
Ebay, soooooo cheap.
not as cheap as midnight auto
Old 10-17-2008, 12:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by apalmer1
not as cheap as midnight auto
not as cheap as stuffing one down your pants at a scrap yard.

along with that antenna mast you broke on the last trail...

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
and I haven't been bothered by the VPD and you know how gay they are lol
yea no kidding! whats up wit it dude?!?! haven't seen you around town recently.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
stock fer shure!
and polish the plastic up with plexiglass polish, like you'd use to polish up a motorcycle helmet visor, or what you'd use to polish the plastic rear window in a convertible top.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:15 PM

stock for sure man.. the best way to polish them up is to first get on e-bay, find a set of new lenses for cheep cheep cheep.. OR.. try using a orbital buffer and some fine cut cleaner, follow up with some good wax..but be carefull, the pad can grap the edge of the lense and send it flying across the garage and it will usualy end in you getting on ebay and ordering a set of new ones lol ( i promise i didnt get REAL mad when that happend, im sure i even may have created a few new words if ya know what i mean lol)
Old 10-17-2008, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by XtraSlow_XtraCab
not as cheap as stuffing one down your pants at a scrap yard.

along with that antenna mast you broke on the last trail...

yea no kidding! whats up wit it dude?!?! haven't seen you around town recently.
I'm going to school at the University of Nevada Las Vegas right now so I'll be outta town till next summer...I think I saw your truck at raileys or somethin over the summer a couple times.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On a more constructive note, your truck has perked a couple interests.

1) Who makes the light bar and can I still get one?
2) What year is your truck? I have a blue 84 xtracab and have a few specific questions...
3) Can you post a picture of the front of your truck?
1-The light bar is from carr.com Heres my thread you may find a few other suggestions.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115/light-bar-148376/
I really like the light bar its simple (so simple it could be fabbed its something to consider) and pretty solid.
2-My truck is also an 84 Xtracab so out with the questions
3-My pleasure, i'd never miss an oppurtunity to show off my baby!

This was back when the bumper was incomplete and had no lights.

Same thing only with the lights on.

These are the only pics i have with the complete bumper

Last edited by algranger; 10-17-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:46 AM

Sweet we actually have the EXACT-SAME winch setup (winch and carrier) but mine sits in the shed out back right now. What battery cables go where? Could you post a pic of that setup?

Also, the only stock difference I noticed was that you have one piece windows where as I have the triangular vent windows that rotate. Any idea why certain trucks had vice versa?

And one more favor, please. I'd like to see a few shots of the interior. A door panel, the driverside dash, center console/shifters, and behind the buckets. That'd be cool. I just wanan compare what I'm missing and base model vs. SR5 yadayada. I' m assuming mine is a base model truck. Its not SR5, but it has A/C.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:28 PM

About that winch haha.. its not hooked up right now ive been meaning to do that but havent gotten around to it, let me know when you find out how cause i dont know.

I've seen the vent windows on sr5's and deluxe's so they must have been an option on these trucks i have an extra set of doors with vent windows that i'm going to install when i get my truck painted i really like them.

I just actually shot a bunch of my interior about 3 days ago so ill post em up.

Alright its a little dirty and very messy haha but here they are

The deck lamp switch is a factory switch for a cargo light on the back of the cab, the green one is the lights on top.

One little feature im particularly fond of

Slider window

Are you adding on the sr5 features?
Old 10-18-2008, 11:48 PM

Interesting... I don't have the tiny vent below the steering column, but I have an A/C truck.

I have slowly been adding SR5 options to my truck... here's a list of what I have done:

-tachometer cluster (except goes to 110mph)
-map lights (behind main cabin light)
-inclinometer/altimeter (great conversation piece!)

Will be converting to EFI next spring (after smog in March). Bought everything so far except the "little crap". I know 1984 models didn't have EFI, but thats more for reliability & economy than anything else. I also wanna turn it into a 4Runner next summer. People give me crap for it, but its my truck... I do what I want And I'm used to body swaps... been there, done that. I need the extra seats, removable top, and shorter wheelbase.

Do you ever wonder what in the heck goes in those "delete" areas underneath the ash tray? I know the weird "indented rectangle" to the right of the steering column is supposed to be a cruise control switch.

Last edited by XtraSlow_XtraCab; 10-18-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:55 AM

Interesting... I don't have the tiny vent below the steering column, but I have an A/C truck.

I have slowly been adding SR5 options to my truck... here's a list of what I have done:

-tachometer cluster (except goes to 110mph)
-map lights (behind main cabin light)
-inclinometer/altimeter (great conversation piece!)

Will be converting to EFI next spring (after smog in March). Bought everything so far except the "little crap". I know 1984 models didn't have EFI, but thats more for reliability & economy than anything else. I also wanna turn it into a 4Runner next summer. People give me crap for it, but its my truck... I do what I want And I'm used to body swaps... been there, done that. I need the extra seats, removable top, and shorter wheelbase.

Do you ever wonder what in the heck goes in those "delete" areas underneath the ash tray? I know the weird "indented rectangle" to the right of the steering column is supposed to be a cruise control switch.
Sweet, i too have dreamt the efi dream maybe somday when i get a truck with efi (i buy and sell) i can do the swap on my 84. As for the inclinometer i'm keepin my eye out at the junkyard.

A 4runner?!? Thats pretty crazy but definitely unique, you must love that thing as much as i love mine to do all that instead of buying a new one. I think insurance is less for a pickup than a 4runner than a pickup so a 4runner registered as a pickup will be good there.

I very often wonder what goes in those perferated holes i cant figure it out it will be a good spot for my next accesory that needs a switch though.

That ball blower (the vent under the steering column) is just a little vent screwed onto the air duct, so you could just cut a hole there and add in the vent from a junkyard truck.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:40 PM

i have an 84 extra cab but its like the uber base model and doesnt even have ac.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by 85toy
i have an 84 extra cab but its like the uber base model and doesnt even have ac.
If you live near a junkyard, its pretty easy collecting little SR5 parts and sticking them on. And you could build an AC. Heck the parts off a 95 4Runner should fit an 84 pickup. The evaporator housing looks pretty similar.

Yeah... as far as converting to a 4Runner... I kinda believe in senitmental values found in vehicles... which shouldn't make sense cus I'd basically be keeping just the axles, suspension, drivetrain and powertrain. But I know where all of those devices currently sit as far as reliablility, servicing records, recent repairs, etc. The rear axle is brand new and I just did a headgasket job on the 22R. Why throw all that away? Just throw away the sheetmetal part. I suck at bodywork anyway... I prefer wrenches to welders.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:48 AM

If you live near a junkyard, its pretty easy collecting little SR5 parts and sticking them on. And you could build an AC. Heck the parts off a 95 4Runner should fit an 84 pickup. The evaporator housing looks pretty similar.

Yeah... as far as converting to a 4Runner... I kinda believe in senitmental values found in vehicles... which shouldn't make sense cus I'd basically be keeping just the axles, suspension, drivetrain and powertrain. But I know where all of those devices currently sit as far as reliablility, servicing records, recent repairs, etc. The rear axle is brand new and I just did a headgasket job on the 22R. Why throw all that away? Just throw away the sheetmetal part. I suck at bodywork anyway... I prefer wrenches to welders.
I hear ya, my trucks are more than trucks, they're family.
How is that done, can you just bolt the 4runner body up to the pickup frame?
Old 10-20-2008, 05:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i like the stock.. i also like that light bar you got there. did you make that?
Old 10-20-2008, 05:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my bad. jsu tseen the thread that you gave the link. anywayz it looks awesome on ur yota
Old 10-20-2008, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by oldgold3vze
Yeah stock. That's a nice truck, by the way. No license plate light laws in Utah?
The locals around here (I live 10 minutes from the town he's in if he's actually in Yelm) don't really hassle anyone about that unless they're looking for a BS reason to stop you to check your sobriety. Mine is mounted on the tailgate as well. The MP's might around Fort Lewis, but other than that I don't worry about it. (Not saying all of them are pricks, the last one I dealt with was, tried to write my dad a reckless driving ticket for accidently having the neon under his car lit up).

Is that center console an SR5 thing? I want a console really badly and I can't come up with a design I like to build my own.

Last edited by TrikeKid; 10-20-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:22 PM
Banned

Alex you don't even know the sick, sick, sick things I would do to have that truck! I wish I had an '85... Some day.. If I could ever part with my beast..
Old 10-20-2008, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by TrikeKid
The locals around here (I live 10 minutes from the town he's in if he's actually in Yelm) don't really hassle anyone about that unless they're looking for a BS reason to stop you to check your sobriety. Mine is mounted on the tailgate as well. The MP's might around Fort Lewis, but other than that I don't worry about it. (Not saying all of them are pricks, the last one I dealt with was, tried to write my dad a reckless driving ticket for accidently having the neon under his car lit up).

Is that center console an SR5 thing? I want a console really badly and I can't come up with a design I like to build my own.
I am in Yelm, i just moved here to go to school pretty sure ill stay, i like it. Where do you go wheelin around here?

I think the center console is sr5 but it may be on the deluxes too, i really like it. Do you have bucket seats? If so you could probly just pull one from Pick-A-Part or somethin last time i was there they had a 2nd gen. Runner.

Ill check my parts truck tomorrow and see if it has one i could sell ya.

As far as the cops go i hear Roy cops are the worst, they tested my uncle's alcohol level 4 times in a row until it read over the legal level.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Trustyrusty
Alex you don't even know the sick, sick, sick things I would do to have that truck! I wish I had an '85... Some day.. If I could ever part with my beast..
I'm flattered.
Haha thanks man, i know this truck is a keeper i had a lucky find.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by algranger
How is that done, can you just bolt the 4runner body up to the pickup frame?
No xtra cab uses a long wheelbase frame (about 112 inches) and a 4Runner uses a short wheelbase frame (about 102 inches). So i'd have to cut, do a lot of math, and weld. And then possibly weld new body mounts.

INSTEAD, I'm just gonna find a parts truck 4Runner and use my interior, engine, trans/t-case, axles, suspension, and probably most of the electrical. If I find an EFI Runner (I think they all were...) then thats an EFI harness already in place for my swap.

Minus the possibility of having to weld spring hangers if I end up getting an IFS 4Runner, the rest is completely bolt-on.

Quick Reply: A little mod.. pics