84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Intermittent Wiper Install Dilemma in 1984 Pickup w/ 22R

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Intermittent Wiper Install Dilemma in 1984 Pickup w/ 22R

Hi all,

I browse in these forums and IH8MUD all the time, but never post. I've scoured and scoured, looking for info about swapping in a combination switch w/ intermittent wipers, the delay module w/ pigtails (behind the emissions computer), and the auxiliary, two-wire harness between the delay module and the combination switch.

Overall, I've got it pretty much figured out. Where I'm stumped is in the main wiring harness. From what I've read in these forums, the harnesses shouldn't differ between '84 Base/DLX/SR5 models. I have looked high and low, and I cannot find the second plug off of the main harness that goes into the delay module.

Some people have said that it can be tucked way up in the dash by the heater core and what not. There are unused plugs up there, but no matches to the plug on the pigtail. I took my dash partially apart (top of dash, glove box, speaker, passenger kick panel) to get a better look, and...... NO DICE!

Did the '84 SR5 Pickups ever have intermittent wipers? I know the '84 SR5 4Runner does, as I've been poaching parts from one, and it has intermittent wipers. DO you think maybe '84 Pickups just don't have this plug, requiring me to do some wiring, and not able to plug-and-play?

ANY insight is welcome, as I am stumped. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-21-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Slice open the donor and take the required wires, odds are its missing plugs or bound for the crusher anyway if it's in a salvage yard
Old 03-21-2017, 04:24 PM

It's in my buddy's yard. I thought about that, but the wiring is going in a few different directions from the plug. One branch goes to the engine bay and the other to the steering column. There are what look like some spliced. I kind if wonder if some of the wires going to the engine bay are necessary for me, as this donor had rear wiper and what not, so they may be for functions I don't have or need.

I'm contemplating snipping the wires to the engine bay, and trying it out. I had to do the same with the jumper harness. It originally had four wires, but the combo switch it plugs into has two wires. I removed the extra two. Maybe there's extra wires in there for the 4Runner?
Old 03-21-2017, 04:28 PM

That plug tho...

Still wondering if '84s are supposed to have that plug on the harness, and why I don't.