84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

I'm absolutly stumped. (Timing chain related.)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm absolutly stumped. (Timing chain related.)

So here's my pickle. I bought a 1985 Pickup, half disassembled, because the previous owner gave up on the timing chain job. Unfortunately, he lost the original timing chain cover. I found one from a local wrecker, but it seems like it's not fitting properly. I know there were tall deck and short deck blocks, but it looks like it should fit exactly. Unfortunately, it keeps getting caught on either a) the crankshaft sprocket, or b) the head. I'll include some crappy pictures so you guys have some idea what I'm talking about here:

The timing chain cover:

My questions for all you folks are:

1) Does that look like the correct cover for my motor? (1985 22RE)
2) If so, how do I get it to go on right?
3) Will I have to drop the oil pan completely, or take the head off? I'm assuming since the previous owner got the cover off without doing either of the above, I shouldn't have to take anything more off.

Help me out here, I'm on my last legs.

Regards,

Derek.

Edit: I would include the pictures of where the covers hits the head/crank sprocket, but they are so dark and blurry there is no point. I will try and find a picture somewhere on here that I can use.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
in 85, the 22re went through a change from being based on the 22r block/head to being its own. therefore, there are two different blocks (the later block being taller than the earlier) and two different heads (the later head being shorter). there is no definitive cut-off between the change from one block/head to the other block/head other than it occurred in the 85 year.
so it is possible to have one 85 with one setup, and another 85 with the other setup.
if you cant get things to line up, you need the other setup.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:26 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You can order a new timming chain cover from rock auto, they don`t cost that much.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by myyota
You can order a new timming chain cover from rock auto, they don`t cost that much.
Shipping costs are insane up to Canada, and I don't want to get stuck with a second timing chain cover that won't fit. I'm gonna call around and see if I can find a pre-1984 timing chain cover and see if that will work.

Thanks again,

Derek.